Dry January 2024 (The Sober Thread)

walter

Fourth Party
I was gonna throw my hat into the ring and join you all, but it looks like this is turning into a salad thread, and i have no problems staying away from salad. ๐ŸŒญ ๐Ÿ• ๐Ÿ” ๐ŸŒฎ ๐Ÿ—๐Ÿ

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't like salads that are mostly lettuce - I'll make lettuce-less salads sometimes with cucumber, carrots, radishes, celery, peppers and tomatoes.

Agree 1000%. You never hear about a carrot E. coli recall !
Although, if youโ€™re trying to lose weight....

How did this turn into a diet thread? This is about not drinking alcohol this month!

Last edited:

Robson

I'm mostly vegetarian. No added sugar to anything and etc. But now I bike every day and beer is my recovery drink! There goes dry January!

xc62701

I've been doing intermittent fasting for the new year. So far so good, down 3 lbs. The worst days are the boring days in the office I'm waiting for 11 am to tick over and I can warm up my breakfast burrito.
Iโ€™ve done that for a good portion of 2020 as well. Itโ€™s morphed into just not eating breakfast and that has stuck fairly easily.

Dingo

Sleep still a problem, went to bed at 11. 8:45 now, and never slept wide awake all nite. ugh

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sleep still a problem, went to bed at 11. 8:45 now, and never slept wide awake all nite. ugh
This is a problem by just about everyone I have met who wants to stay sober. I was always told no ever dies from the lack of sleep but the alternative kills. I hated everyone who said that :)

It took a long time and still have those nights but the folks who told me this are right.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
You gotta get that in check man. Sleep is vital for recovery and overall health. Talk to a doctor if you haven't already.

Myself, I'm 14 days in and finally sleeping well. Fitness is slowly creeping up but the extra heft (aka. beer belly) is definitely holding me back. Tomorrow I weigh myself. Hoping I've come down from my all time high of 221. :(

gpTron

- 12 Days -

Sleep is better
Less bloated/stomach less irritable/looking slimmer
Workouts are better
Haven't made any stupid purchases

My wife and I are feeling really good. After this month we agreed to not keep alcohol in the house anymore. We have a brewery 5 min walking distance, a winery 5 min driving distance. One night out for a couple of drinks should be good.
Devils season opener is tonight though. I'll learn to turn the tv off instead of pouring another one when things start to (and they will) get ugly.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

manopause? (clinically andropause)
perhaps caused and masked from alc? Agree on the dr visit -
How ya healing-up? all that energy that was going towards healing might need an outlet elsewhere?

--

I have my nights where i'm so tired at 10, I hit the bed, and wake up at 4am, and there is no going back to sleep.
Last couple of nights have been really good tho. asleep by 10:30, up at 6:00.
I cranked my back a few days ago moving an under counter wine fridge (i repaired it for no $$!) -
so i'm waiting for that to recover.

Don't think I have any of the physical cravings to drink - no feeling that "I have to" - where I need to
convince myself not to do it. I do think about it at dinner time, or working on my evening projects.
one thing I do like is if i don't have a beer when I get home, hitting the trainer at 9pm is still
in the realm of possibility. big difference.

My appetite was under control until I went and did a road ride and got cold. I've been hungry for 3 days.

Gastro issues subsided, then returned. so dealing with that.

---
my Dad was a smoker from the time he was 13 until 45. when he was in his mid-70s, he said he still
would dream about smoking. weird how we are wired.

Last edited:

Dingo

I dunno about this... Some nites I hit the sack and out until next morning. Some nites wake up early, other like last nite never fell asleep. I'm not working now, so my schedule is all messed up. I try to keep a routine, and also stay active. Yesterday did 2hrs at allaire, I should have fallen asleep right away. My 3 sisters, who never really drank, have the same sleeping problems as they have gotten older.
No desire to drink, or self medicate with rec drugs.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I dunno about this... Some nites I hit the sack and out until next morning. Some nites wake up early, other like last nite never fell asleep. I'm not working now, so my schedule is all messed up. I try to keep a routine, and also stay active. Yesterday did 2hrs at allaire, I should have fallen asleep right away. My 3 sisters, who never really drank, have the same sleeping problems as they have gotten older.
No desire to drink, or self medicate with rec drugs.

It is expected with women, natural cycle of things. Good info for the dr tho.
my Wife had a hell of time for about 5 years - she still has occasional issues, esp falling asleep.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
19 days in. I've never had a problem sleeping and still don't. I have made an effort in the past year or so to get more/better sleep. As others have mentioned getting high quality sleep and enough of it is vital to nearly every other aspect of health. Check out "Why We Sleep" by Matthew Walker. It's a great book with a lot of really good information about sleep and how it affects the rest of our lives.

Top Bottom