Dry January 2024 (The Sober Thread)

BPaze

It's not easy haven't had bread in the house for 3 years. With my son being allergic to wheat can't have it around. I still eat it but just not at home, happy my son doesn't like buns with hotdogs.

Someone please send me candy I'm weak
Your wife seriously makes the best gluten-free cookies ever!!!!

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I’m still in it. The weather (no outdoor dining) plus the lack of social interactions has made it easier than I would have expected.

I’ve been adding juice to seltzer for mocktails when I need a pacifier. Anyone else remembering going to the bar as a kid and ordering Shirley temples and Roy Rogers?

BPaze

BTW on the topic of dry January, I used to do this every year from Jan 1-24th since I turned 21 until I got married. 24th being my birthday and usually a social event and would drink.

After 2020 my drinking def increased and my body got achey so when I saw this thread I figured I would resurrect the tradition. I am sleeping no different and my body aches are no better. I have felt no major benefit but I have had no desire to drink at all either. Went out last night to get the wife a bottle and had no issue. I would like to.long term reduce my drinking mainly for financial reasons.

I am also on a major tea kick which is what I often do when I reduce alcohol because otherwise I only drink water and that gets boring.

I should mention I have also reduced coffee only 3 cups since the 1st and that was because my kids kept me up most the night. This was a request by my doctor as my coffee consumption was massive.

roc

Last night I grilled cajun salmon. I always have a beer with it. In fact, my oldest son (14) asked me if I wanted him to get one for me. I said "no" and then explained Dry January to him and my other son (14).
reminds me of my 2 brothers, Daryl and Daryl.

roc

I’m still in it. The weather (no outdoor dining) plus the lack of social interactions has made it easier than I would have expected.

I’ve been adding juice to seltzer for mocktails when I need a pacifier. Anyone else remembering going to the bar as a kid and ordering Shirley temples and Roy Rogers?
With extra cherries!

bigW

11 years clean and sober. Good to see the wide range of concerns and solutions across the group.

Seems no matter where one is on the spectrum it helps to add something into one's life if/when pushing ethanol out.

As for me I'm just glad not to be dead (FTW).

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Being clean and sober myself, it's also great to see all the comments and support in this thread. Not drinking with the support of others helps.

Alcohol has lots of sugar, people often find eating hard candies sometimes helps with the cravings.
I'd stay away from double stuff oreos, that's another addicion in itself.

Excerize is good, maybe we can take up a healthy sport. Nevermind, preaching to the choir!

I like seltzer with a splash of cranberry and lime. This is my go to fancy drink. Or fancy root beer.

I need a dry Jan for late night snacks!! That's my downfall.

xc62701

12 days in and going strong. I'm drinking a lot of seltzer and I stumbled on an article that says seltzer increases hunger cravings. I was surprised to see this as I've never thought of it affecting me in that manner. If anything I feel it helps keep me full and postpones wanting to eat - oh yea and keeps me from drinking all that sugar laden soda!

Last edited:
Top Bottom