The DIY thread - DIYourself

rick81721

Lothar
Cheapest way to build a house , shitty looking IMO

Looks fine to us. These house are built like fortresses structurally, that was our top priority. Inside there is crown molding everywhere, tray ceilings and 5.5" floor molding. All floors are tile. Don't miss window trim at all.

qclabrat

need help also the latest trends in lighting.
Haven't done reno in about 10 years, is recessed lighting still popular? See lots of drops, chandeliers and domes lately with coffered ceilings.
Want a dark house inside to brighten up a lot more than their previous owners wanted. Standard 8 ft ceilings and will need some retro fit and wiring.
I'd prefer surface mount floods and spots if they exist as it will make my life so much easier.

rlb

prefer surface mount floods and spots if they exist as it will make my life so much easier.

Can't help you in all the trends, but these are pretty low profile and mount to a standard box. They do take up a good amount of room, but there may be newer versions that don't need as much room
IMG_20200222_173343.jpg

iman29

need help also the latest trends in lighting.
Haven't done reno in about 10 years, is recessed lighting still popular? See lots of drops, chandeliers and domes lately with coffered ceilings.
Want a dark house inside to brighten up a lot more than their previous owners wanted. Standard 8 ft ceilings and will need some retro fit and wiring.
I'd prefer surface mount floods and spots if they exist as it will make my life so much easier.

From what I have seen the latest trend is LED lighting. It comes in varying shades of brightness so to don’t have one room feel like your eyes are squinting and also they are dimmable.

If you have any existing recessed can lights you can buy these new retro fit bulb kits that just screw into the existing bulb socket. I did this for 2 lights in my bathroom Reno and it’s literally like night and day. You can see the difference below new one on left.

C859768A-8C6B-4666-8252-47AA152287FA.jpeg821B9942-1934-465A-AE2F-D7B8ACE3F928.jpeg

But I also did see a lot of low profile kits you can install from below without chopping up your ceiling just browse on Lowe’s or Home Cheapo for LED recessed lights

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the latest is the snap in, if looking for overhead, renovation -
use a hole saw, run a wire, done - no can. can be used in wet areas,
these are incredibly easy to work with.
1582461109577.png

The surface ones Rob mentioned are great for use where there were hanging fixtures (like replacing the three "HAT" lights over a bar.
they make "larger" fixture types - and they are inexpensive, and sometimes have multiple color temp settings - they have a sleek look,
almost bordering on cheap.

Ian's are retrofit for existing recessed lights to convert to LED.

I've used them all - just watch the color temp. The whites above 3000 are very white. and they are very bright if you do multiples,
so make sure they can be dimmed, and they will recommend a dimmer.

LED strip is cheap now - in/under cabinet, and accent.

I used Rob's surface ones in a lower level condo with no windows (just a couple sliding door leaving to the north)
They throw a ton of light - multiple dimmers used. Couldn't go recessed because of the fire rated ceiling.

IMG_2648.JPG

qclabrat

View attachment 119810

The surface ones Rob mentioned are great for use where there were hanging fixtures (like replacing the three "HAT" lights over a bar.
they make "larger" fixture types - and they are inexpensive, and sometimes have multiple color temp settings - they have a sleek look,
almost bordering on cheap.

Ian's are retrofit for existing recessed lights to convert to LED.

I've used them all - just watch the color temp. The whites above 3000 are very white. and they are very bright if you do multiples,
so make sure they can be dimmed, and they will recommend a dimmer.

LED strip is cheap now - in/under cabinet, and accent.

I used Rob's surface ones in a lower level condo with no windows (just a couple sliding door leaving to the north)
They throw a ton of light - multiple dimmers used. Couldn't go recessed because of the fire rated ceiling.

View attachment 119812
Do you run wires similarly for the surface mounts?

Patrick

Staff member
Do you run wires similarly for the surface mounts?

yes - use a hole saw, and a round remodel box.

if you end up hitting a joist you'll need the half boxes - ceiling fan saddle, or 1/2" pancake box,

it is a problem that the snap in ones don't have - they are 1/2" thick and fit in the depth of the ceiling drywall.

1582462380457.png

1582462743200.png

Last edited:

rlb

You just make the connection in that box then toss it up into the ceiling?

Patrick

Staff member
You just make the connection in that box then toss it up into the ceiling?
Yes. The box probably should be mounted, but nobody looks. They include a foam seal to prevent air leaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb

jnos

Why is the bleed order not the typical longest run to shortest run?

(Usualy passenger rear driver rear pasenger front driver front). Why does subaru (im assuming they published this somewhere) differ? Or do they have weird routing?
Subaru puts the front driver side and rear passenger on the same circuit and Front passenger is tied to rear driver side. Their theory is that you can make it home with only a front and a rear brake if they are on opposite sides.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Subaru puts the front driver side and rear passenger on the same circuit and Front passenger is tied to rear driver side. Their theory is that you can make it home with only a front and a rear brake if they are on opposite sides.

interesting idea, idk as most people would be comfortable enough to test it.

qclabrat

Looking for rough estimates to put in an offer. There's lots more to work on, but these are the big ticket items I'll need to get a contractor on to hit a deadline.
1) gut and update leaky small tubbed bathroom.
2) cental AC retro fit, house has boiler so no force air ducts

Patrick

Staff member
Looking for rough estimates to put in an offer. There's lots more to work on, but these are the big ticket items I'll need to get a contractor on to hit a deadline.
1) gut and update leaky small tubbed bathroom.
2) cental AC retro fit, house has boiler so no force air ducts

Call Tom at Cool-o-matic about the A/C - please tell him i said to call.

iman29

I have been doing some work as a helper in and off during my unemployment for a contractor his name is Gary Brady. He’s a one man show but he’s VERY good and fast.

If you want some pics of his work PM me I took some of the basement I just helped him
With before and after.

He’s on vacation this week but you can call and leave him a message please tell him I sent you (ian) and that I was the guy helping him painting recently.

(973) 713-8343
Gary Brady.

qclabrat

Thanks for the recommendations
Was looking for ballpark numbers to see where my offer price should land.
Looks like full renos in NJ are about 10-15k each

My in-laws had the retro fit AC done about 15 years ago for just under 10k for a similar size house about 2000sf. Does 15-20k sound right in today's dollars?

Another project would be to redo the kitchen, but that also requires removing a wall to get an open floor plan. Do towns need an architect to approve permits for that? What about if I keep one weight bearing pillar over 20ft?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
how big is the house? we added a/c to our 100 year old house 3 years ago this spring and it was in the 20k range, we are 1800-1900 sq feet, two stories, steam heat so 0 duct work to reuse.

Top Bottom