The DIY thread - DIYourself

OddTrickStar

Built an office for the wife. Doing the mud and paint is not fun but I absolutely love doing woodworking with hand tools the way my dad and pop pop did it and taught me. Hand planed, joined and scraped black walnut desk finished with tung oil. We drove out to Pa. to pick out the walnut, the place was fantastic! All kinds of hardwoods, i could spend all day there.

The tray lighting I ran a color changing led strip next to the regular one so my youngest son can turn it into a dance party room after hours, Which pulls apart the click flooring at the end connections in the middle of the floor. Had to silicone a few of them together and that worked but gonna avoid that stuff in the future.

I’m itching to redo the bathroom next but it’s our only one so that’s gonna be a logistical nightmare. 😅

1639CECE-F114-44FC-8E3E-C5F56691A879.jpeg8D293F98-0081-47FF-A8E7-7C4F3E368DC3.jpegCE53EC97-E667-40EA-8E93-CD8D228035F3.jpeg

ebarker9

Built an office for the wife. Doing the mud and paint is not fun but I absolutely love doing woodworking with hand tools the way my dad and pop pop did it and taught me. Hand planed, joined and scraped black walnut desk finished with tung oil. We drove out to Pa. to pick out the walnut, the place was fantastic! All kinds of hardwoods, i could spend all day there.

Looks great. Was that Hearne hardwoods? I've been meaning to get there at some point.

serviceguy

The tray lighting I ran a color changing led strip next to the regular one so my youngest son can turn it into a dance party room after hours, Which pulls apart the click flooring at the end connections in the middle of the floor. Had to silicone a few of them together and that worked but gonna avoid that stuff in the future.

I’m itching to redo the bathroom next but it’s our only one so that’s gonna be a logistical nightmare. 😅

View attachment 214709View attachment 214710View attachment 214711
Great work, I don't have the patience nor the skill to do such stuff without power tools and even then the result is usually meh.

I'm in the same boat with the bathroom, when the time comes I'm planning to rent an RV and place it in the driveway...hell, I may even buy one and use it for what it's meant to be eventually!

iman29

View attachment 214709View attachment 214710View attachment 214711
Always impressed with anyone that can do that type of woodworking. Well done.

OddTrickStar

Great work, I don't have the patience nor the skill to do such stuff without power tools and even then the result is usually meh.

I'm in the same boat with the bathroom, when the time comes I'm planning to rent an RV and place it in the driveway...hell, I may even buy one and use it for what it's meant to be eventually!
Thanks, I do generally use power tools to cut though. No power planers or sandpaper used in the finishing of the wood to be more specific. Keeping a keen edge on the tools is key to making short work of the manual planing.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
the contractor needed to use up scrap tubing
the contractor didnt want to run to the store to buy the right length

take your pick
Contractor put the valve on the hot water side, realized mistake, moved it to the cold water side and then patched hot water side.

We all make mistakes at work. Sometimes it's a valve in the wrong spot. Sometimes you flood a town. Shit happens.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Contractor put the valve on the hot water side, realized mistake, moved it to the cold water side and then patched hot water side.

We all make mistakes at work. Sometimes it's a valve in the wrong spot. Sometimes you flood a town. Shit happens.

what is even more impressive is having the pex tools and buying sharkbite valves ($21 each)
vs pex valves ($15 for two)

serviceguy

what is even more impressive is having the pex tools and buying sharkbite valves ($21 each)
vs pex valves ($15 for two)
Or the valve was an addition made by the owner or a different plumber that did not have the pex tool...also, there's a valve on the hot side as well.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Or the valve was an addition made by the owner or a different plumber that did not have the pex tool...also, there's a valve on the hot side as well.

in any case it is a hack - there was no plumber involved.
the pex adapters to copper are wrong - they used a copper coupler to adapt a male cu->pex fitting,
rather than a female cu->pex
At that point, may as well removed the stub of copper down to the threaded fitting.
agree the valves were put in later, and maybe they interfered with each other, so they moved them?
but that means they had the pex stuff?
then you don't need the cu-pex adapter at all, just put the sharkbite on the cu, and use it as the transition.

looking forward to Walter's solution.

iman29

in any case it is a hack - there was no plumber involved.
the pex adapters to copper are wrong - they used a copper coupler to adapt a male cu->pex fitting,
rather than a female cu->pex
At that point, may as well removed the stub of copper down to the threaded fitting.
agree the valves were put in later, and maybe they interfered with each other, so they moved them?
but that means they had the pex stuff?
then you don't need the cu-pex adapter at all, just put the sharkbite on the cu, and use it as the transition.

looking forward to Walter's solution.
If I tried to fix it this would be the result.

22575240-61DD-45B0-973E-3DB48614385A.gif

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did that once with a dam and it flooded a town accidentally. Hence my comment above.

I kind of wish I was joking. But at least it's not my worst fuckup at work.

Which part was the accident? The damn flowing like that (discharging) or flooding the town. Afaf

JerseyPete

I did that once with a dam and it flooded a town accidentally. Hence my comment above.

I kind of wish I was joking. But at least it's not my worst fuckup at work.
Somehow I thought you were Electrical engineering, not civil. Unless it was motor/valve/pump control?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Which part was the accident? The damn flowing like that (discharging) or flooding the town. Afaf
Flooding the town. Wasn't supposed to discharge.

Better than when I flooded 750 homes in NYC with sewage.

Somehow I thought you were Electrical engineering, not civil. Unless it was motor/valve/pump control?
Controls engineering.

Not a bad one. The mistakes above kind of not my fault.

Top Bottom