JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So we got the cabin painted.
Long overdue, and well worth it.

Before:
739682E7-CDD3-4C9E-8FD7-B0590202367F.jpeg

After:
8F9D041A-2619-4972-B76B-8E4DF1E44A0B.jpeg

Very pleased that orange stain on the deck is out of my life.

Byproduct is that now that everything isn’t a uniform coat of brown, missing trim on the workshop windows is kinda obvious.

Of course I turn to my man @SmooveP the wood whisperer.
He helped me match the profile on some cedar 1x4’s
B72AFE93-A717-4303-AB74-A135D825460D.jpeg

And loaned me a saw to do the cuts for length
4AE186C6-CA82-4109-86B6-F29081FDB5BB.jpeg

F3E39340-09E6-40BD-A509-C1CD544A7957.jpeg

He gave me some tips, Family Handyman gave me some too, but kinda ended up winging it.
4 windows, with the panes mounted 3 different ways.
Needed to be creative.

26E56548-CCEE-4018-8489-04EA3A776013.jpeg
Mostly came out okay.
Figured out by the second one that dry fitting with a single nail in each was the trick.

Panel gaps are not Carson approved, but good enough for the girl I go with.
C6387A6B-E5E7-4FB2-AA15-899DBEF6D137.jpeg

5A7A2835-8AFA-4583-A953-808F23F67A6B.jpeg

I’ll slap some paint on next week.
Don’t want @MrsManic to get used to high paced chores list action.

SmooveP

Before:
View attachment 193140

After:
View attachment 193141

Byproduct is that now that everything isn’t a uniform coat of brown, missing trim on the workshop windows is kinda obvious.

View attachment 193142

View attachment 193143

View attachment 193144

He gave me some tips, Family Handyman gave me some too, but kinda ended up winging it.
Needed to be creative.

View attachment 193145
Mostly came out okay.
Figured out by the second one that dry fitting with a single nail in each was the trick.

View attachment 193146

View attachment 193147

Looking good, brudder! I've got 10 more new windows going in my place that need to be trimmed out if you're available.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jmanic
Looking good, brudder! I've got 10 more new windows going in my place that need to be trimmed out if you're available.
its-a-trap-gif-8-gif.652166

serviceguy

Before:
View attachment 193140

After:
View attachment 193141

View attachment 193142

View attachment 193143

View attachment 193144

Needed to be creative.

View attachment 193145
Mostly came out okay.

View attachment 193146

View attachment 193147

Have had any luck trying to match the split log siding at any time? I can't seem to find anything even remotely matching anywhere (so didn't the previous owner, the 'expansions' to the original house were built using a completely different size and profile split log and in some places they even left gaps to try and match the log spacing rather than make sure the wall was sealed, thank fully that was only on the external furnace room).

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have had any luck trying to match the split log siding at any time? I can't seem to find anything even remotely matching anywhere (so didn't the previous owner, the 'expansions' to the original house were built using a completely different size and profile split log and in some places they even left gaps to try and match the log spacing rather than make sure the wall was sealed, thank fully that was only on the external furnace room).
Once, a while ago we had to replace a single board, our guy didn’t mention any problems finding it, but this was pre-pandemic.

There’s also a guy who specializes in working on log cabins- we haven’t used him, but he has been recommended -

xc62701

Wohoo, casting deck is done minus the handles! I put the seats in as well. I’m working towards the rear now and want to get the back deck finished and engine mounted by the weekend. Then I’ll have a much shorter list to get to after that. Putting in more seats, complete the side storage, hookup the engine and trolling motor, a bunch more odds and ends, and get this thing in the water!

4E2610A8-95F8-4EC3-9939-304740D6352B.jpegB7C9461C-F8A4-471A-B071-27D4CE0631B2.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wohoo, casting deck is done minus the handles! I put the seats in as well. I’m working towards the rear now and want to get the back deck finished and engine mounted by the weekend. Then I’ll have a much shorter list to get to after that. Putting in more seats, complete the side storage, hookup the engine and trolling motor, a bunch more odds and ends, and get this thing in the water!

View attachment 193338

Are those bow nav lights? might be flipped?

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ha i need to do the same job but i cant seem to find the 140lb springs locally - where did you get these?!!
Lowes in Paramus- looks like there are 8 in stock at Mt Olive....

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you’re not in a rush, I may have a slightly used set of 140lb 27.5” springs for you.

Weighed the door, 140 even, old springs were 140’s, but had to finagle a bit to get it where it is, but still feels like springs are too strong.

Will re-weigh tomorrow.
Now, beer.

iman29

I swear I looked online the last few weeks couldn’t find any. Will be there later.
If you’re not in a rush, I may have a slightly used set of 140lb 27.5” springs for you.

Weighed the door, 140 even, old springs were 140’s, but had to finagle a bit to get it where it is, but still feels like springs are too strong.

Will re-weigh tomorrow.
Now, beer.
nah I’m good now. The online inventory app at lowes is crap I should have called sooner but tonight they only had 3 left and one of them the box was open.

And my other project too is on the agenda this weekend to replace the pool timer. Again.
At least the sky was cool in the parking lot.
911E7E6D-4732-46CC-B76A-6C602AE5EF4F.jpeg
64B96F09-2F36-4E47-B425-9D3DDF21726F.jpegEC1B133F-1B32-4EB7-BE56-863405E737C6.jpegAF90E8A4-9B81-45D9-AFBB-19E6782A19E3.jpeg

qclabrat

Compressor help needed, got this when I was in Edison to do some home improvement after I moved, it was only working intermittently and most for tubeless duties. I had another compressor so it sat in the corner in the garage till this weekend when I was doing some cleaning. Unfortunately Ridgid compressors don't have the lifetime warranty, but I'm pretty sure its the pressure switch. Anyone changed one of these and know where to find these switches? Were these made by Ryobi and parts interchangeable?
1660141385997.png

qclabrat

Fresh coat of paint upstairs and laying down vinyl plank. Door jams are extra wide for a 115 yo house with plaster walls and two layers of sheet rock on both sides. No clue why two, but it makes rooms sound proof. Screwed up by forgetting to remove door trim with the floor trim so there will be some spot painting. Trimming the planks around doors and closets are no fun while trying to get the grooves to snap in at the right angle and under trim boards.PXL_20220807_195429865.jpg

While working I've noticed the house is really hot due to poor airflow. The front faces a park on the bay which when on the front porch gets a constant breeze. Right now there are window AC units but a mini split system will go in in the Fall/Winter. But before that I'd like to improve the airflow in the house. The attic is unfinished with 3 windows and is not insulated. This Fall/Winter I'm also getting foam insulation installed for the roof but thinking to add a gable vent or whole house fan. Thoughts on which would be better? I'm leaning towards Gable as it's basically easier and opening holes in ceilings of old houses could be a headache.
markup_1467.png
But to improve air flow I'm considering getting fans to pull air from the front of the house out the rear/sides. The house is northwest facing towards NYC, so there's morning sun till about 11am and the back is full sun in the afternoons.
House is also lifted with a garage underneath, so there's four levels including the attic.
markup_1472.png

Top Bottom