The DIY thread - DIYourself

ebarker9

Do they make spacers for electrical work to compensate for sheetrock thickness? Seems the last work the just tried their best resulting in every outlet being loose
View attachment 192644

They sure do:

There are other types as well, but I've had good luck with that style. A few of mine were bad enough or I wanted to add another outlet, that I just cut out the old box and used an "old work" style in its place.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Do they make spacers for electrical work to compensate for sheetrock thickness? Seems the last work the just tried their best resulting in every outlet being loose
View attachment 192644

That box is held in the wall buy those metal straps bent over the sides. They are called Madison straps.

Bend them straight, don't let them fall in. Pull box out, put a sheetrock spacer underneath the top and bottom tabs, bend straps back over.

xc62701

Has anyone refinished cast aluminum? This is for my boat. It’s the pedestal seat base. I’m thinking of sanding and painting or clear coating. I’m not looking to polish it. Just clean it up. Thoughts?

F1DD078B-9F5A-4C61-8AE1-2ADC794B93F3.jpeg

w_b

Anything you do will look better, but be a temporary solution. I’d just clean it up and try to remove some of that whitish corrosion (scotchbrite pad or similar) and make it look more uniform. Keep the effort and time invested low, and go for max result. Then when cleaning the boat, just give a wipe dry on it when done. Might need to re-scotchbrite it for 22 sec here and there in the future.

Prepping alum for paint/ clear for me always seems problematic and tedious, and typically starts to peel/ bubble quickly. Perhaps it’s me that doesn’t get it.

ebarker9

I remember some car restoration guys talking about using Scrubbing Bubbles (of all things) on cast aluminum. Might be worth trying on a small spot just to see.

qclabrat

You sound like my wife!

The summer has been so busy, we probably would have only used it once or twice. I’ll be using it this fall. Hopefully it’s done by Labor Day. Doing it right takes time! Being a perfectionist doesn’t help.
Great work, is this going in a lake or bay?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool. Not quite clean, but I see regional trends in there (VT, MA, NJ, NY....)
Is that Monkish from me?

I can’t believe this had the support of @MrsMadDan
Yeah, wasn’t perfect, but happy with the final product.
Odds are extremely high the Monkish is from you.

The whole thing was her idear.

Top Bottom