The DIY thread - DIYourself

Is any permit required to install a gutter drainage system on a property? No pump or any electrical system would be involved.

Short answer is no,
Unless you live near wetlands.
Some towns will let you hook to their storm sewers (cause if you dump it near the street, it would get there anyway)
Permit and drawings needed.

This is what i know from working my property (branchburg) and one in Budd Lake - might be more to it.

Short answer is no,
Unless you live near wetlands.
Some towns will let you hook to their storm sewers (cause if you dump it near the street, it would get there anyway)
Permit and drawings needed.

This is what i know from working my property (branchburg) and one in Budd Lake - might be more to it.
Yes, depends on the town. Highlands for example does not want anyone messing with natural drainage without permits. I guess the town has enough problems with water that they're being careful with people doing something extreme like a moat...

I imagine it depends on your town. Are you thinking of collecting the downspouts and piping it out to the street?
Nope, just going into the ground at a selected location away from the house, I was inspired by a DIY post by @stb222 and did some research about it. It’s been promoted as a way to filter the run off before reintroducing it in the water table and eventually back into the lake (we’re just up from Cupsaw lake).

Thinking about repainting my basement. I have done a bit of research, but am still unsure about a few things. Here they are:

Is it ok to use a pressure washer to strip the paint from the floor and walls and allow the sump pump to remove the water drainage (if I use barriers around the French drain to filter paint and debris)?

Should i avoid Drylok and similar sealers on the walls and just use Acrylic paint?

Is it ok to use a clear seal on the floor, or will the lack of breathe-ability cause issues?

Thanks!
Dave

I'm starting to reupholster the dining chairs I just picked up. Never done this before, but it seems simple enough. So far the hardest part is removing all these darn staples lol.
Old fabric:
20220517_210900.jpg

20220518_201839.jpg

Replacing it with this saddle brown leather:
20220518_203445.jpg

Looks much more brown in real life...doesn't photograph well.

Anyone ever done this?

Thinking about repainting my basement. I have done a bit of research, but am still unsure about a few things. Here they are:

Is it ok to use a pressure washer to strip the paint from the floor and walls and allow the sump pump to remove the water drainage (if I use barriers around the French drain to filter paint and debris)?

Should i avoid Drylok and similar sealers on the walls and just use Acrylic paint?

Is it ok to use a clear seal on the floor, or will the lack of breathe-ability cause issues?

Thanks!
Dave
Why considering drylock? Do you have a wet basement?

I'm starting to reupholster the dining chairs I just picked up. Never done this before, but it seems simple enough. So far the hardest part is removing all these darn staples lol.
Old fabric:
View attachment 185039

View attachment 185040

Replacing it with this saddle brown leather:
View attachment 185041

Looks much more brown in real life...doesn't photograph well.

Anyone ever done this?
I reupholstered my kitchen chairs and made a bench. Like you said, nothing crazy but removing the old staples is the worst.

I reupholstered my kitchen chairs and made a bench. Like you said, nothing crazy but removing the old staples is the worst.
Redid a set of 6 dining chairs a while back, currently doing a few IKEA ones.
View attachment 185057
Not too difficult doing just the seats, the corners can be a little tricky depending on the style.
But a high yield/low effort project really.
Nice!
Yeah corners were tricky with this material - it's very thick and harder to maneuver than just regular fabric...lots of stapling, manipulating, removing staples, then re-stapling.
I'm happy with how the first one came out, and this material will be really easy to keep clean.

It’s not wet.
Used both primer then latex and the cement/elastomeric paints. elastomeric needs more paint but has a much nicer finish. Check the coverage for a gallon then weigh out if it's meets your price point

Haven't tried a power washer indoors but seems likely a mess and lots of water. Scrape the loose paint then apply etching for the dirt and minerals. I only used drylock on walls in my parents house which had some moisture penetration. But other otherwise would use masonry paint

Last edited:
Used both primer then latex and the cement/elastomeric paints. elastomeric needs more paint but has a much nicer finish. Check the coverage for a gallon then weigh out if it's meets your price point

Haven't tried a power washer indoors but seems likely a mess and lots of water. Scrape the loose paint then apply etching for the dirt and minerals. I only used drylock on walls in my parents house which had some moisture penetration. But other otherwise would use masonry paint
I wasn’t sure a sealer was needed for the walls because I didn’t find a definite answer from Prof Google. Also, I was looking for an excuse to buy a pressure washer.

Thanks for the guidance! I grew up in Florida and this is my first house with a basement.

I got another chair done. 2 down, 4 to go. Doing them in my free time. Just picked up something else today for another DIY project ... a DIY coffee table.
Nice piece of curly walnut, the figure will really pop once I put finish on it:

View attachment 185194
So I’ll be posting an update on my speaker rebuild, but in the meantime, maybe consider Rubio Monocoat for the finish

@SmooveP hipped me to it and can chime in about durability for a table top.
I suspect it would hold since it gets a lot of use on flooring.

It’s just dead simple to work with and looks great.

So I’ll be posting an update on my speaker rebuild, but in the meantime, maybe consider Rubio Monocoat for the finish

Interesting stuff!
I was just planning to use a simple brush on polyurethane finish (which I already have a container) or tru-oil, an easy to use wipe on penetrating gun stock oil.

It's not what I would call durable in the normal sense, but it degrades gracefully without peeling or flaking and can be repaired/reapplied easily. It's also almost a dead flat sheen, which is ok if that's the look you want. You can bring up the sheen a little by applying another coat and buffing it. It's also not compatible with stains, so if you want color, you need to pick one of the Monocoat shades.

Back at the boat project. Finally getting close to the rebuilt part. Today was another 1/2 day of tear down. I’m finally at the point where I can start cutting some plywood and gluing up new carpet. It’s the exciting/nerve wracking part. It’s expensive if I f it up so I need to plan it out to minimize waste. You can see the lower floor boards which are all loose and ready to come up as soon as I’m ready to get the new ones in. I will have to cut the pieces of plywood and leave gaps for the new carpeting. Everything I read said to resin the new boards going in as well before applying the carpet, so that’s happening next as well. I will keep posting update pics.

361CC188-F72C-4491-8BAF-B3DF72435C40.jpegD934A518-1554-4CE2-B7CA-1343364AEB7C.jpeg725799B2-39C3-4A34-91C3-86A2CD39809F.jpeg

Last edited:
Been using these gloves for pretty much every project. Having rheumatoid arthritis, I find the extra grip to be extremely helpful, but still have as much tactile feel as I need. Way thicker than the blue nitrile gloves from Home Depot.
AE3DAD38-C78A-480A-AC25-5FB45050D061.jpeg

Plus, they’re orange.

Back
Top Bottom