The DIY thread - DIYourself

Just curious- how would powering your panel with your generator not solve the sump pump issue if power went out?
Edit: duh- reading is fundamental. Second vote then for battery back up sump.

In the more active of my two sump pits,
I have a secondary sump with marine battery back up on a trickle charger/battery minder.
If you want I can post specifics.

I wouldn't have all that much confidence in bricks for staving off disaster.

yes - was more about the pump going bad I always think worst case scenario.

it's going to fill up the french drain before it comes out of the top of the pit? isn't the drain hooked to the pit?
If not, it should be. even if just "under" the slab. unless you have another dedicated pit?

haven't you already gotten all the cardboard off the floor? and no wallboard?
so it is just a scrubby brush if you get water.

and seal that pit! it is filling your home with radon. (it probably isn't, but that is one place it would come in.)
when its filling up quick the pit can get to the top with water fast where the french drain is mostly dry. the one time my pump failed i was down there for a bit with a bucket and soda bottles bailing out the pit while my son went and got the pool cover pump out of the shed,. If I didnt have that we would have had a flood.

basement is concrete and cinderblock yes but we have too much crap on the floors etc...

House is clear of radon i have it checked every year I dont even have a radon clearing system on this house. - not needed.

when its filling up quick the pit can get to the top with water fast where the french drain is mostly dry. the one time my pump failed i was down there for a bit with a bucket and soda bottles bailing out the pit while my son went and got the pool cover pump out of the shed,. If I didnt have that we would have had a flood.

basement is concrete and cinderblock yes but we have too much crap on the floors etc...

House is clear of radon i have it checked every year I dont even have a radon clearing system on this house. - not needed.

so the ground water pressure is filling your pit faster than your pump can eject it?

get a bigger pump?
make sure check valve is in the right way, and functioning.
Once the water makes the turn outside, does it go into a bigger pipe (in other words it doesn't have to worry about the friction of the pipe - is would be pressurized,
cause moving faster than gravity would take it)
is the pipe sized for the pump and the amount of rise (head)

i'm not sure how much room is in your french drain system. you might be moving the problem somewhere else if you do the brick thing.
it should already be connected as Ed mentioned, so not sure why it isn't flowing into there.

@iman29
Just happened to have the manual binder out, so here’s what I’m rocking
1353C528-4C62-427B-8B69-5D56C6418D70.jpeg
Main sump is in the bottom of the pit, this second pump t’s into the the drain line just above the primary (maybe mid pit).
As noted, driven by a Interstate Marine battery that is on the included trickle charger.

Wouldn’t be a difficult diy to add this, not sure if this model is available, but I’m sure there are similar.

Can try to take pics of the pit if you like.

so the ground water pressure is filling your pit faster than your pump can eject it?

get a bigger pump?
make sure check valve is in the right way, and functioning.
Once the water makes the turn outside, does it go into a bigger pipe (in other words it doesn't have to worry about the friction of the pipe - is would be pressurized,
cause moving faster than gravity would take it)
is the pipe sized for the pump and the amount of rise (head)

i'm not sure how much room is in your french drain system. you might be moving the problem somewhere else if you do the brick thing.
it should already be connected as Ed mentioned, so not sure why it isn't flowing into there.
no i think its getting lost in translation here.

Current pump was an upgrade i did about 5+ years ago works perfectly fine in fact it moves the water much better once it gets outside. External pipe is bigger and drains downhill away from the foundation.

I was only talking about the scenario when the pump is not working. The pit can fill up quick during a heavy storm like today. The idea of making a surround to redirect the water into the french drain was just to buy some time to get fixed whatever is potentially broken in the FUTURE scenario (i.e. pump, no power).

There's no issues down here with water overrunning the french drain, not even any moisture on the slab or the cinder blocks since I sealed and painted everything properly when we moved in back in 2003.

I think the answer is what I was trying to avoid in the first place but now its more reality. I want to replace the pump anyway due to just age and my worries so I might as well save the time and energy of my rigged up idea and buy something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B08BX6H22H

If you have city water you usually got 80psi or more at the inlet, power or not. They make a water driven sump pump you can setup for emergencies. Or just keep a spare pump on shelf with the same union and plumbing to swap in when it STB.

Tonight’s project- Koehler faucet that won’t swivel.

This happened once before, I partially disassembled it and greased it.
Held for a bit, but now it means business.

First YT video dude basically uninstalled and took the whole thing apart. Blergh.
Clicked through to the next video, and dudeman just took the top apart, didn’t even shut off the water- boom.
40CA2E9D-882B-4D76-9731-A0D53C27C3E1.jpeg

1132BFA9-9953-4007-8DF7-7E33D72A1E14.jpeg
Always click through to the second video.

Works well, but not quite like new after a good cleaning and slathering everything in plumbers grease.

Will give a call to Kohler in the am for giggles, let’s see what that warranty means.

First YT video dude basically uninstalled and took the whole thing apart. Blergh.
Clicked through to the next video, and dudeman just took the top apart, didn’t even shut off the water- boom.
View attachment 169734

View attachment 169735

Works well, but not quite like new after a good cleaning and slathering everything in plumbers grease.

Will give a call to Kohler in the am for giggles, let’s see what that warranty means.
Just called Kohler last week to help identify parts for a leaking shower valve, was very surprised after figuring out parts the Kohler guys says ok we’ll send it out under warranty, I had told him it was original to the house, circa 1998. Still sent out under warranty, not even charge for shipping. 👍👍. Hopefully you have the same luck.

Just called Kohler last week to help identify parts for a leaking shower valve, was very surprised after figuring out parts the Kohler guys says ok we’ll send it out under warranty, I had told him it was original to the house, circa 1998. Still sent out under warranty, not even charge for shipping. 👍👍. Hopefully you have the same luck.
Right on, I’ve heard similar stories.
Hoping for the same, though it looks like reviews of current versions of this model say they aren’t quite the same...
We’ll see.

This may be a stupid question/idea and I am not sure if I posted it here before so figured to ask the more intelligent audience here.

On days like today I stress about the power going out or even worse the sump pump failing. I have it on my to do list to get a backfeed panel installed by an electrician so i can plug in my generator to the house. This would not solve my problem if the sump pump fails. I know i can also get the whole backup sump bump battery system thing too but wondering if this idea would be a less of a hassle.

Since my basement has a french drain, would it be a bad thing to add a few bricks or create a barrier on the floor enclosing the sump pit, to redirect the water back to the french drain? This would only be for "emergency" purposes obviously, up to the point that I can repair or replace the pump and/or get the generator running to start draining the pit.

I realize it's probably counter productive to send the water back to the same place I am pumping it out of but for a short period of time it would prevent the spillage onto the basement floor for times when no one is around (ie power outage or pump failure in the middle of the night).

Idea would be to get a few leftover bricks that someone might be getting rid of, and section off like the picture shows. then seal it to the floor and in between with construction adhesive/silicone and seal off the inside part of the bricks with the same basement waterproofing i have on the cider blocks.

on a side note replacing the pump soon( *edit - and check valve) is on the list especially after this bad storm season. I think its about 5+ years old since I replaced it last.

Discuss.

View attachment 169716
After getting hit by the "sump pump didn't work because power was out" thing during Irene about 12 years ago (and subsequent thrashing of our basement) I installed a backup sump pump called The Sump Jet from Liberty Pumps. This is a backup float and pipe setup that runs on city water and creates a siphon to pull water from my pit and eject. Requires no battery and if needed can run indefinitely if extended power outage and I'm not around to man the generator.

If running constantly it will drive up your water bill for a bit (this is in theory as I have not had to do this since), but way less than what I paid to redo my basement, and worth the POM if I'm away for an extended trip and a storm comes up.

View attachment 169734

View attachment 169735

Can we double like for use of Jorba tool!

After getting hit by the "sump pump didn't work because power was out" thing during Irene about 12 years ago (and subsequent thrashing of our basement) I installed a backup sump pump called The Sump Jet from Liberty Pumps. This is a backup float and pipe setup that runs on city water and creates a siphon to pull water from my pit and eject. Requires no battery and if needed can run indefinitely if extended power outage and I'm not around to man the generator.

If running constantly it will drive up your water bill for a bit (this is in theory as I have not had to do this since), but way less than what I paid to redo my basement, and worth the POM if I'm away for an extended trip and a storm comes up.

Cool will also need to consider this I terms of DIY. Never looked to see how far away a water supply source is but now that I think of it the supply that runs out to the hose bib is right above the pit so would be easy access to make a T connection prior to the outdoor shutoff valve.

Something to think about. Thanks. !

So i'm in the local trattoria, and the owner says the main exhaust fan is making noise.
Probably needs some oil, so he pulls out an old oil can with the flex spout. It is a 1-story, flat roof, and he keeps a ladder handy,
so i climb up. There is only one, incorrectly sized bolt holding the cover, which is removed without a fuss.

I'm greeted with a couple of grease fittings, a belt that looks to be in the 20yo+ range, and significantly misaligned pulley.

IMG_0785.JPG

Grab my grease gun and decide whatever is in there will be fine. The zerk fittings took the lube, so that was good, and it did quiet down a bit.
Peeped the belt number, then $10 and two days later, I'm back on the roof. Needed the hammer to remove the pulley from the fan shaft (left my puller at home, duh.)
The last person put the key in the wrong way, which is why they couldn't get it to align, even using a BFH.

Ah, exhaust fan bliss.
Yes the key is sticking out, it was bent from the previous attempt. Plenty of length remaining to secure it with the set screw.

IMG_0786.JPG

Everything in a restaurant is disgusting. I fixed the slicer a couple weeks back.
Spent more time cleaning it than actually repairing it.

So i'm in the local trattoria, and the owner says the main exhaust fan is making noise.
Probably needs some oil, so he pulls out an old oil can with the flex spout. It is a 1-story, flat roof, and he keeps a ladder handy,
so i climb up. There is only one, incorrectly sized bolt holding the cover, which is removed without a fuss.

I'm greeted with a couple of grease fittings, a belt that looks to be in the 20yo+ range, and significantly misaligned pulley.

View attachment 169809

Grab my grease gun and decide whatever is in there will be fine. The zerk fittings took the lube, so that was good, and it did quiet down a bit.
Peeped the belt number, then $10 and two days later, I'm back on the roof. Needed the hammer to remove the pulley from the fan shaft (left my puller at home, duh.)
The last person put the key in the wrong way, which is why they couldn't get it to align, even using a BFH.

Ah, exhaust fan bliss.
Yes the key is sticking out, it was bent from the previous attempt. Plenty of length remaining to secure it with the set screw.

View attachment 169808

Everything in a restaurant is disgusting. I fixed the slicer a couple weeks back.
Nice work-
You get the Calzones for Life card yet or what?

View attachment 169809

Ah, exhaust fan bliss.

View attachment 169808

Does the toilet have a tank high on the wall with a pull chain?

How was that belt even working? BTW that pillow block on the fan shaft will fail next but probably not for another 13 years.

OMG my buddy did service on restaurant equipment for awhile. When he said don’t go there we did NOT go there.

Back
Top Bottom