The DIY thread - DIYourself

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Driving home Saturday night, the car dash decided to light-up to tell me of all the impending doom.
Emergency brake service, anti-lock service, stabilitrack offline, transmission issues, reduced steering assist, etc.
Wasn't making any noise, oil/water temp/pressure ok. trans temp ok. drove the two miles to the house.

As i contemplated the reasons for such catastrophic failure yesterday, and looked without success for my OBD reader
(it has been in the same place for years, now i need it, it ain't there.)
There could only be one singular cause of such devastation.
Replaced the air filter after 2.5 years, and all was good again.
It was bad!
So much for taking care of the stuff at home.

Sure it could have been the MAF, but let's keep it simple!

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
Neighbor is putting an addition on his house, so gutted the inside. Was able to grab their kitchen cabinets when they hit the curb, will be great for storage in the new garage/shop. Plywood boxes, soft-close, etc. Nicer than my kitchen cabinets, lol

Attachments

• 085B8546-0F97-42C3-BE98-9375598B5AE9.jpeg
    085B8546-0F97-42C3-BE98-9375598B5AE9.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 21

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No pics on this one, it went too quick-
Let’s see who can guess it- it’s an easy one-

I hear running water at the toilet.
Look into the tank and find the flapper seated, float submerged, tank overfilling into the overflow tube.

w_b

This one was not difficult or expensive and went so well, all you get is the before pic. Was harder to get the boat situated backwards in the slip to work it than actually working it. Prop that came off my Yamaha was for a Honda, guess they’re all somewhat standard. Braaap….

839BC77B-664B-4743-9D6C-24FA586BB18C.jpeg

iman29

No pics on this one, it went too quick-
Let’s see who can guess it- it’s an easy one-

I hear running water at the toilet.
Look into the tank and find the flapper seated, float submerged, tank overfilling into the overflow tube.

Chain came off the handle.

iman29

So about 2 weeks ago the old reliable backpack leaf blower came apart looks like
The isolator mounts disintegrated.

After procrastinating and trying to find a good deal on a new used one ( still working on that) I needed to cut the grass this afternoon and clear the sidewalks.

Duct tape really does fix everything.

2594DCFE-1C19-419D-9ABA-C7B75ADA8679.jpeg
918AB4F2-D3F6-4BAA-B7AC-3F1A9E4E824C.jpeg

Parts are on order but hopefully tmw I will buy the one I am going to see off FB marketplace which will be a nice upgrade. Then I will sell this one.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We give up.
Really, I would have thought this was an easy one for this crew.

3 immediate options:
1) water logged float not triggering shut off- tested by lifting float, no dice
2) excessive water pressure pushing through the seal on the fill valve- not a problem, I assure you
3) gunked up or otherwise faulty seal on top of the fill valve. Likely culprit.
Took it out, cleaned it and a little gunk on the mating surface. Held for a night, but back again.

Following Patrick’s rule of plumbing jobs, I’ll pick up a replacement seal, but also a full fill valve replacement.
Guarantees a trip to return extra stuff, but on my time

JerseyPete

Really, I would have thought this was an easy one for this crew.

3 immediate options:
1) water logged float not triggering shut off- tested by lifting float, no dice
2) excessive water pressure pushing through the seal on the fill valve- not a problem, I assure you
3) gunked up or otherwise faulty seal on top of the fill valve. Likely culprit.
Took it out, cleaned it and a little gunk on the mating surface. Held for a night, but back again.

Following Patrick’s rule of plumbing jobs, I’ll pick up a replacement seal, but also a full fill valve replacement.
Guarantees a trip to return extra stuff, but on my time
Is it a Kohler? They are a lot of headaches. Next time around I am going with Toto:
Not the cheapest or most stylish, but from what I hear they are bullet and crap proof.
@Patrick do you have experience with them?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Is it a Kohler? They are a lot of headaches. Next time around I am going with Toto:
Not the cheapest or most stylish, but from what I hear they are bullet and crap proof.
@Patrick do you have experience with them?

Best w.c. ever. Costs 2-3x but if you call their customer service, you'll see where the $$ goes.

Top Bottom