The DIY thread - DIYourself

JonF

anyone build live edge tables? maybe looking for a console table type, 2 shelf for behind the couch or in the corner
My partner and I have made a number of custom, bespoke furniture pieces featuring live edge including one massive one in the works currently. I do the metal fab, he's the carpenter and items can be a blend of steel and wood or wood alone depending on the client's preference. All items are made to client's exact specs and design and we can help guide along the way. Want to replicate something you already saw, we can do that too. Have a look at the gallery and if you like the general quality and craftsmanship, get back in touch.

rlb

My partner and I have made a number of custom, bespoke furniture pieces featuring live edge including one massive one in the works currently. I do the metal fab, he's the carpenter and items can be a blend of steel and wood or wood alone depending on the client's preference. All items are made to client's exact specs and design and we can help guide along the way. Want to replicate something you already saw, we can do that too. Have a look at the gallery and if you like the general quality and craftsmanship, get back in touch.

Some amazing stuff there!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
noticed some tearout on my pocket holes recently, realized its time for a new bit, However since they have discontinued my jig and i cant find the drill bit anywhere i had to take the time to sharpen it by hand (not actually that bad).

no, the kreg bits will NOT work with the porter cable jig :(

p.s. anyone know where i can buy a 9inch long pocket hole drill?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
noticed some tearout on my pocket holes recently, realized its time for a new bit, However since they have discontinued my jig and i cant find the drill bit anywhere i had to take the time to sharpen it by hand (not actually that bad).

no, the kreg bits will NOT work with the porter cable jig :(

p.s. anyone know where i can buy a 9inch long pocket hole drill?

which model?

JonF

Looking to rebuild the deck, add pergola/roof with electrical + plumbing for outdoor kitchen and then patio with landscaping.

Anyone have recommendations for a firm to consult with for the design?

Patrick

Staff member

serviceguy

isn't it just a 3/8" bit with a centering/pilot - or is the material clearing different?

anyway, i'll look -

any chance it is one of these?

porter cable quik jig 560 drill bit (may not be the best option, doesn't say the availability and requires a $50 minimum order). Seems pretty much out of stock in most on line stores.

3/8" (9.5mm) specific for the tool

7215647-21_1024x1024.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
isn't it just a 3/8" bit with a centering/pilot - or is the material clearing different?

anyway, i'll look -

any chance it is one of these?

doesnt seem to have the center tip on it, @serviceguy has the one in his post, i guess the bit is p/n 5600, but i dont have the manual anymore (who keeps those anyway) to have checked that.

it has the small centering/pilot tip same as the kreg bit, just longer, if the kreg bit was 1.5 longer it would be workable :/

sharpening it seemed to work.

Patrick

Staff member
doesnt seem to have the center tip on it, @serviceguy has the one in his post, i guess the bit is p/n 5600, but i dont have the manual anymore (who keeps those anyway) to have checked that.

it has the small centering/pilot tip same as the kreg bit, just longer, if the kreg bit was 1.5 longer it would be workable :/

sharpening it seemed to work.

check w/customer service here - they seem to have some game.

wait, can't you just have someone create a longer shank for you - it is a machine shop, they can sneak it in
between the rail gun project.

or get the 1/4" impact end bit, and use an extension (ie a bit holder).

or just buy the new stuff. i use them quite a bit.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
check w/customer service here - they seem to have some game.

wait, can't you just have someone create a longer shank for you - it is a machine shop, they can sneak it in
between the rail gun project.
have to be there in person to as about this, but they dont tend to make their own bits, i wonder if they can grind the right size tip on one if i buy a long 3/8 bit . . . hmmmmm

or get the 1/4" impact end bit, and use an extension (ie a bit holder).
this is a good idea, ill have to measure how much length i need for the collar before i say it would definitely work.

or just buy the new stuff. i use them quite a bit.

the new stuff? what new stuff? the flexy blue plastic setup?

o wait, you must have meant this when you said new stuff. (its a bit pricey for the amount of use it would get)

iman29

Stupid wind. guess i know what I will be doing tomorrow. Wind Pulled that one out of the ground and snapped the next one over.

Guess the repair job I did last spring wasn’t dug deep enough. And. I guess I need 2 bags quickcrete per hole not one. At least the fence panels didn’t snap before I could detach them from the posts

698D92D3-3BCE-4654-8B61-5300DCF0E286.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom