The DIY thread - DIYourself

What's the fastest way to take care of these guys en masse?
Fire would likely work, but I already have a charred history with flames, so, no.
I sprayed a lil ammonia on them, and they laughed at me.

They're like The Borg; I'm sure they will assimilate us all soon.

View attachment 194014
I mixed up equal parts of Dawn dish soap, white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.

Found this when doing a Google search

Adding, that tree is a goner if you don't do something soon.

I mixed up equal parts of Dawn dish soap, white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
I used a gallon sprayer and combined about 7/8 gallon white vinegar, about 4-5 oz dish soap, and about 1/4 cup salt (crushed crystals for water softener). I then stomped on the majority of them when the landed on the ground, or I smashed them directly on the trees.

I had somewhere around 1,000 spotted lantern flies last year, and this year have seen maybe only 30-50 so far.

I used a gallon sprayer and combined about 7/8 gallon white vinegar, about 4-5 oz dish soap, and about 1/4 cup salt (crushed crystals for water softener). I then stomped on the majority of them when the landed on the ground, or I smashed them directly on the trees.

I had somewhere around 1,000 spotted lantern flies last year, and this year have seen maybe only 30-50 so far.
Definitely notice less of them in my area this year vs. last year. See them mostly on surviving Tree of Heaven, but numbers are less.

Engine is wired up, bow lights swapped, and it's time to see if it'll fire. Going to the lake at some point this week if all goes well. Wednesday at the earliest, unless I find time tomorrow. Excited to see this project come to a close.

26B478EB-4465-48D2-AA76-B1A557F5F5F2.jpeg4CD7966F-7BD2-4B85-BC8C-DF8AFA26C8CE.jpeg

I had it doing 36mph last year before I totally ripped it apart. I got rid of a lot of wet soggy floorboards so maybe I’ll get 37 this year 😂.
Nice that's pretty spot on with what mine does. I had to do a last minute carb break down on my 75 the day before we left for lake George bottom carb was leaking fuel out the overflow the float was stuck and they were all gunked up pretty bad was surprised it was running at all. 20220812_092209.jpg

Attempting to replace the cartridge as its stripped and my wife is sick of the vice grip solution I've deployed.

1661355196748.jpeg

I've removed the lock nut and expected the cartridge to slide out with some wiggling... not working.

What am I missing?
1661354868045.png

Attempting to replace the cartridge as its stripped and my wife is sick of the vice grip solution I've deployed.

View attachment 194583

I've removed the lock nut and expected the cartridge to slide out with some wiggling... not working.

What am I missing?
View attachment 194582

Lever it out. Put vice grips on then a couple of screwdriversor cats paws, nail pullers. It may break the plastics, but it is all getting replaced. Dont lever against the tile

View attachment 194583

What am I missing?
View attachment 194582
I think did this same job a few months back on this thread somewhere but I had the issue where the lock ring was stuck.

Based in this picture it’s probably all the mineral buildup inside the cartridge slot seizing it up.

You can squirt some PB blaster or WD40 in there and let it soak a bit. Worst case there’s some YouTube videos how to extract these.

Just be VERY careful not to twist too much and put extra torque on the valve so you don’t twist The Whole thing off the wall and have to call emergency plumber.

View attachment 194583

What am I missing?
View attachment 194582

I found out the hard way 2 years ago at a certain point/age there's no just replacing the cartridge. I ended up destroying and then cutting out the old valve and replacing the whole thing. Good luck!

Anyone need a shitload of screws? Right now they are on the pile that college hunks that haul junk will be taking on Tuesday. I'm thinking the previous owner overestimated a tad when they finished the basement with galvanized steel 2 x 4s.

A few kilos of these:

20220827_180253.jpg

And alot more of these (1" long):

20220827_180336.jpg

20220827_180233.jpg

Back
Top Bottom