The DIY thread - DIYourself

qclabrat

You’re a smart man for not sanding. I was going to lightly sand the paint on mine. What a disaster. It just kept on peeling. I wound up sanding the whole deck to bare wood. I would have loved to stain it but the wood was in pretty bad shape so i had no choice but to prime and repaint. Now 4-5 yrs later it’s peeling again.
Wow lotta wood there

rick81721

Lothar
Closed on Monday and finally got down last night to start work. First is to remove all carpet in the house and install vinyl. Why do old people insist on carpet in bedrooms and it doesn't help when your dogs pissball over them either.View attachment 190116View attachment 190117 @rick81721 do you have carpet in the bedrooms like my in-laws?

Our townhouse in NJ has carpeting in the bedrooms. Our house in FL is ceramic tile everywhere. He have rugs in the bedrooms.

iman29

Talking about decks... I'll be getting a dumpster next week for this one.
View attachment 190132
Wow that’s YUGE.

Just curious Is the top decking regular 1x6 trex type or is it more like 2x6 boards ?

Just wondering because I always have a hard time finding the old style I have for replacement boards 2x6 and it would be worth it to get some scrap pieces for future use before they get hauled away if you wouldn’t mind ?

As mentioned above I won’t ever be able to afford replacing my deck so I just repair and paint when needed.

Mahnken

Wow that’s YUGE.

Just curious Is the top decking regular 1x6 trex type or is it more like 2x6 boards ?

Just wondering because I always have a hard time finding the old style I have for replacement boards 2x6 and it would be worth it to get some scrap pieces for future use before they get hauled away if you wouldn’t mind ?

As mentioned above I won’t ever be able to afford replacing my deck so I just repair and paint when needed.
I haven't measured it, but it looks like this:
PXL_20220710_205147847.jpgPXL_20220710_204725060.jpg
I can go out and measure it tomorrow if you're interested in it. I'm probably going to save the planks just to keep from having to pay too much for the dumpster, things are super heavy. I figure someone would be willing to take them eventually.

Mahnken

Wow that’s YUGE.
There was a 30' round pool in there. Man I hated that thing, it finally rotted through last year. I debated replacing it because of the deck, but it's just not worth the time and effort to maintain for the little use it would get.

iman29

I haven't measured it, but it looks like this:
View attachment 190184View attachment 190185
I can go out and measure it tomorrow if you're interested in it. I'm probably going to save the planks just to keep from having to pay too much for the dumpster, things are super heavy. I figure someone would be willing to take them eventually.
Wow thanks so much for checking.

Looks more like 1x6 composite or wood compared to thicker planks i have. My deck was here before I bought the house so over 20+ years old and the top boards are more rectangular and thicker like a 2x4 if that makes Sense.

I’m betting someone would be willing to take some of the top boards away for reuse tho.

Thanks anyway ! 👊🏻

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
can go out and measure it tomorrow if you're interested in it. I'm probably going to save the planks just to keep from having to pay too much for the dumpster, things are super heavy. I figure someone would be willing to take them eventually.

Are the planks wood or composite? Been trying to figure out how to build a wall ride in the back yard without spending $124,000 on wood. Interested.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Are the planks wood or composite? Been trying to figure out how to build a wall ride in the back yard without spending $124,000 on wood. Interested.

The 2x lumber underneath would work for the frame?
Deck planking still seems reasonable at the store. under $1/ft

While we wouldn't want the decking at 6MR - we might want the 2x if it is still solid, and 10' long or better.

You'd think plastic decking could be recycled, just grind it up and make a new board from it.

Last edited:

Mahnken

The 2x lumber underneath would work for the frame?
Deck planking still seems reasonable at the store. under $1/ft

While we wouldn't want the decking at 6MR - we might want the 2x if it is still solid, and 10' long or better.

You'd think it could be recycled, just grind it up and make a new board from it.
The wood underneath looks good at a glance, I won't be back home until Tuesday to take a better look. The deck is about 20 years old.
The recycling sounds like a good idea, I'll have to look into it. I just figured the cheapest option, if no one wanted any of it, was to get a dumpster and cut it down. I posted it on Facebook and it had a ton of interest, easily over 100 people messaged me within a few hours. But after having a bunch of people make plans to come for the wood and then ghosting me, and a couple folks who came and saw that it wasn't as easy as taking out a few screws for a free deck, I'm over that idea.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The wood underneath looks good at a glance, I won't be back home until Tuesday to take a better look. The deck is about 20 years old.
The recycling sounds like a good idea, I'll have to look into it. I just figured the cheapest option, if no one wanted any of it, was to get a dumpster and cut it down. I posted it on Facebook and it had a ton of interest, easily over 100 people messaged me within a few hours. But after having a bunch of people make plans to come for the wood and then ghosting me, and a couple folks who came and saw that it wasn't as easy as taking out a few screws for a free deck, I'm over that idea.

i can come down and help disassemble. could use some extra labor to stack the decking (put a free sign on it!)

oh, 🔥

Mahnken

i can come down and help disassemble. could use some extra labor to stack the decking (put a free sign on it!)

oh, 🔥
Thanks! But, I would not feel right letting anyone drive that far just got some manual labor, lol.

I have a deck board puller that you're welcome to borrow for this. Works great. I'm in the Morristown area in case anyone is traveling down or will be up this way.

View attachment 190257
Thanks, I had no idea something like this existed. I'll pick one up at home Depot, it would cost way more in gas money to borrow it 😂.

Top Bottom