The DIY thread - DIYourself

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I thought about that, but apparently that is not legal. If someone sees you and gets nasty about it, it would suck. I thought about garden hose running for a day, or inviting @Patrick over:
"Forgetting that you were backwashing the pool filter and pumping 8,000 gallons of saltwater into the road.
:("

Trap them. Of course they aren't the nicest thing to ride in the car with. Without being too morbid, you don't want to kill them under the shed. Too much stink. Euthanize in cage on garbage day.

I just dropped them off at Duke farms.

rick81721

Lothar
I thought about that, but apparently that is not legal. If someone sees you and gets nasty about it, it would suck. I thought about garden hose running for a day, or inviting @Patrick over:
"Forgetting that you were backwashing the pool filter and pumping 8,000 gallons of saltwater into the road.
:("

I tried the 3 stooges water hose - doesn't work

rick81721

Lothar
Trap them. Of course they aren't the nicest thing to ride in the car with. Without being too morbid, you don't want to kill them under the shed. Too much stink. Euthanize in cage on garbage day.

I just dropped them off at Duke farms.

I dropped them off at colonial Park in Piscataway. Less likely to return across a river. The problem with trapping is you catch others - I got a skunk and a raccoon. The latter was not a happy camper

iman29

Water logging doesn’t work because the build parallel shelves underground to protect themselves from that especially
When it rains.

I had some under my shed once. The local animal control guy told me trapping is illegal. Suggested moth balls and used cat litter. Lucky for me I have 2 cats that piss and shit all day.

Spread some of the cat litter around the perimeter of the shed they were gone in a week. I think I have mice under there now but less destructive than the family that was previously living under there

JerseyPete

Water logging doesn’t work because the build parallel shelves underground to protect themselves from that especially
When it rains.

I had some under my shed once. The local animal control guy told me trapping is illegal. Suggested moth balls and used cat litter. Lucky for me I have 2 cats that piss and shit all day.

Spread some of the cat litter around the perimeter of the shed they were gone in a week. I think I have mice under there now but less destructive than the family that was previously living under there
This is the Royal Outdoor Winchester shed that you will eventually get. If it wasn't for my dog getting kidney stones stuck in his dick, it would have been done by now. The floor is shot, so I poured some ammonia inside and let it drip down. Holy crap is that smell strong. That should drive them out and I can use the shed until lumber prices come down to a reasonable level.

move the shed
It will eventually find its way to Iman29. For now I need it at least another season.

JDurk

What about pissing down the hole?
Temporary only, ask me how I know. Went full force ammonia and it worked for about a year. The neighbor who lives behind me has the main hole in the yard under the trampoline the kids don't use anymore (which is so awesome) but hasn't done shit to get rid of the pest. I've tried used cat litter, my pee, coyote/fox urine powder and nothing works.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I wouldn't really worry about illegal in this case.
Trap it and relocate.

With everything the police have to do, groundhog relocation and trapping enforcement (just GRATE) would be low on the list given the amount of paperwork it probably generates

Best acronym I could come up with in 15 seconds

Last edited:

JerseyPete

Temporary only, ask me how I know. Went full force ammonia and it worked for about a year. The neighborhood who lives behind me has the main hole in the yard under the trampoline the kids don't use anymore (which is so awesome) but hasn't done shit to get rid of the pest. I've tried used cat litter, my pee, coyote/fox urine powder and nothing works.
Yep. ammonia is damn strong and seems to have worked. I filled the holes and raked the dirt smooth, so I will see if there is any activity. Ammonia once a month seems reasonable.

JerseyPete

Back in November I wanted to put something over the iron septic cover to make it easier to get to when service is needed, and to have my small fire pit placed on it. I could not find anything that was 26" to cover the opening and lid. I recall @serviceguy looking as well and never got around to posting what I did.

HomeDepot items are as follows:
Hot water heater pan, (cover the drain hole with duct tape or similar and use as the form) about $12

Sakrete 50 lbs bag (2 of them) about $12

Rebar, (2 of them tied in "X" with zip ties ) about $8

I made two of the 50 lb concrete discs because it is easier for me to pick up and place two 50 lb pieces than one 100 lb piece. 50 lb mix and gallon of water makes it about 1.75 inches thick. The height is where I wanted it to be but even one disc would have been enough.

20201126_134613.jpg

jklett

Yep. ammonia is damn strong and seems to have worked. I filled the holes and raked the dirt smooth, so I will see if there is any activity. Ammonia once a month seems reasonable.
I'm going to try that, probably smarter than a gallon of old 2 stroke mix and a match.

Top Bottom