The DIY thread - DIYourself

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Has anyone on here used this instead of quickcrete mix?

I’ve got 2 posts I need to do after the wind took the fence down last week. thinking this might be less hassle than mixing 4 bags of cement into the holes.

Cost wise seems negligible but this seems much more convenient and it’s good to go 2 hours after I pour it so I can rehang the fence panels sooner.

Done sooner is moar better.

View attachment 155367

you don't need to mix the cement - just wet the hole, put the post in, pour cement in dry,
wet the top - support fence until it rains.

iman29

you don't need to mix the cement - just wet the hole, put the post in, pour cement in dry,
wet the top - support fence until it rains.
yes i have done this before was just looking at the foam because the drying/set time is faster than the concrete.

serviceguy

I need to relocate my mailbox. Checked with the building department and it doesn't require a permit, same thing for removing the steps on the road leading to the path that goes to the front door (the steps were built like crap to begin with and are crumbling, the path is horrible and was crushed by the excavator brought by PSE&G to dig our gas line, they kind of fixed it but its quality was in line with the aforementioned steps.

Should I just treat the mailbox as a regular post or is there any specific regulation as in making sure it's not too solid of an obstacle in case of a car or bike crashed on it? Did not find anything. I was thinking of pulling out the entire mailbox/post/concrete base and relocate it as a whole as it is already wobbling in place as it is...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I need to relocate my mailbox. Checked with the building department and it doesn't require a permit, same thing for removing the steps on the road leading to the path that goes to the front door (the steps were built like crap to begin with and are crumbling, the path is horrible and was crushed by the excavator brought by PSE&G to dig our gas line, they kind of fixed it but its quality was in line with the aforementioned steps.

Should I just treat the mailbox as a regular post or is there any specific regulation as in making sure it's not too solid of an obstacle in case of a car or bike crashed on it? Did not find anything. I was thinking of pulling out the entire mailbox/post/concrete base and relocate it as a whole as it is already wobbling in place as it is...

There are specs from the postal service on height. I'd recommend a couple reflectors to keep the plows from hitting it
I used a 4x4 with an arm that will tear off if hit. Used an auger so no cement. You might not be able to get an auger in the ground

ebarker9

I did this last year and at least checked with the USPS site (https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm):

"
The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:
  • A 4″ x 4″ wooden support or a 2″-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
  • Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
  • Bury your post no more than 24″ deep."
Can't imagine this is actually enforced, but might as well.

serviceguy

There are specs from the postal service on height. I'd recommend a couple reflectors to keep the plows from hitting it
I used a 4x4 with an arm that will tear off if hit. Used an auger so no cement. You might not be able to get an auger in the ground
I did this last year and at least checked with the USPS site (https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm):

"
The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:
  • A 4″ x 4″ wooden support or a 2″-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
  • Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
  • Bury your post no more than 24″ deep."
Can't imagine this is actually enforced, but might as well.
Thank you both. Wow, check with the USPS website, should have been the first thing I did and instead it just flew over my head...I believe my mailbox fits all of the requirements and the post is definitely not deeper than 24", I'll try to move the whole thing in one go and see how it goes.

iman29

Thank you both. Wow, check with the USPS website, should have been the first thing I did and instead it just flew over my head...I believe my mailbox fits all of the requirements and the post is definitely not deeper than 24", I'll try to move the whole thing in one go and see how it goes.
I noticed my mailbox wobbling after all the winter storms. I can tell it has one of these at the bottom I plan to replace it with the same thing when the time comes.

1617999010820.png

serviceguy

That could work, I'm just worried about the chances of not finding a stone before reaching the 30"+ depth...rather slim I'd say. I'm in the middle of removing an old 6" diameter stump, I thought I could dig the roots out and chop them...I've almost dug my way to China and what I removed were mostly 4" to 6" pebbles.

Back to that tie, I could also add a strong spring to the base and eventually use the mailbox as a catapult in case I needed some defensive measures for the property, or just annoy the neighbors with launches of assorted projectiles...

Over the Bars

That could work, I'm just worried about the chances of not finding a stone before reaching the 30"+ depth...rather slim I'd say. I'm in the middle of removing an old 6" diameter stump, I thought I could dig the roots out and chop them...I've almost dug my way to China and what I removed were mostly 4" to 6" pebbles.

Back to that tie, I could also add a strong spring to the base and eventually use the mailbox as a catapult in case I needed some defensive measures for the property, or just annoy the neighbors with launches of assorted projectiles...
Best diy trick for stump removal that I've found is use a power washer to clear all the dirt from around the root ball then use lopers, chainsaw or, reciprocating saw to cut them. It's way easier then trying to dig them All out

serviceguy

Best diy trick for stump removal that I've found is use a power washer to clear all the dirt from around the root ball then use lopers, chainsaw or, reciprocating saw to cut them. It's way easier then trying to dig them All out
Yes, but I would have to dig out the power washer from the mess that is my garage, the stump is easier!

iman29

yeah depends on the spot where the mailbox is I guess you could hit a nasty root. I thought the one I linked was 24" long but I know they come in 30" or 36".

I used the 36" ones to install my fence because after having the tree removal guys cut down and grinded out massive overgrown arborvitaes , there was no way I was digging 29 holes.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

If you’re not in a rush, and don’t have to worry about pets, I’ve read good things about chemicals to break down stumps.
Drill a few holes, pour in the stuff and in like 2 months you can basically rake it up.

Also just happened to see a neighbor taking up his mailbox, and it looked like he had buried a 5 gallon bucket as a concrete form. Not sure if that’s helpful, but theres something you know now.

jklett

I hate repairing gutters. Especially the cobbled together mess that's on my house. I have to have the roof done so there's no sense in putting new up until that's done. I could have come up with 1000 things I'd rather have done today(like TM at sourlands) but at least it's done.

serviceguy

If you’re not in a rush, and don’t have to worry about pets, I’ve read good things about chemicals to break down stumps.
Drill a few holes, pour in the stuff and in like 2 months you can basically rake it up.

Also just happened to see a neighbor taking up his mailbox, and it looked like he had buried a 5 gallon bucket as a concrete form. Not sure if that’s helpful, but theres something you know now.
Thank you for the hints but it’s done and done. The mailbox was successfully treated to a full transplant, post and concrete cone all at once, almost perfectly 24”. Old location was the where the moved soil is.
12EC2E1E-CBA9-4B3D-9076-9E9F0C6E4330.jpeg

the stump succumbed to 123,742 blows of my hatchet, which will need to be shored soon. No pics.

Next project, removal of the path leading to the front door, both the horrible piece on the curb and the mangled stone and concrete in the front yard. Steps are a goner as well, will join the wall segments on the sides, hopefully the spare slate I have will suffice, if it doesn’t I’ll have to ask some to Gee Atherton...
F46C5270-6139-45EC-B924-1ED24137665E.jpeg

Last edited:

Over the Bars

The warzone has grown. Took 5 more big ones down today. 4 were bigger than my 20 inch bar all learners making the bore cut interesting lining it it up on both sides. All of them landed exactly where they were aimed!! I'm beat maybe one of these days I'll actually be down and be able to ride my bike 🤣🤣PXL_20210410_234550711.jpgPXL_20210410_233607259.jpgPXL_20210410_234556130.jpg

serviceguy

iman29

So of course yesterday the project to replace fence posts turned into the usual DIY fiasco. And the whole time I was also aggravated that I had to spend the time on a nice day missing out on riding.

The main struggle was to dig the holes I had to carve out the dirt by hand and then use the sledgehammer to drive the remnants of the steel post holder further into the ground cause there’s no way to dig it up. Repeated this like 100 times. And since the soil is basically clay concrete I had to use the steel bar to chip away at it.
Could barely feel my hands when I was done digging they ached so bad. Getting too old for this shit.

012F92BF-20CA-45E3-B476-0367C9AD8344.jpeg

Got the holes sorted out and read through the package to use the expandable foam
Stuff. Says it’s good to go after 2-3 minutes. Poured in the one hole and After 10 minutes I checked it and the post had at least 1-2” of play in it. And the foam looked like it was done expanding. Left it another 10 minutes still the same.

Barely took much effort to yank the pole right out FML.
0585B327-7417-4AFD-B2D4-A7C793A1A03E.jpeg2A871D1E-8D1B-430F-B074-82C47B31ADB9.jpeg

After several minutes of cursing I scoffed down a PBJ sandwich and went to Lowe’s to get 4 bags of sakrete fast setting stuff. At least I could return the 2 bags of that foam shit and get my money back but still wasted 14bucks on the one that failed.

Reset the post and set the new one and poured everything in like I originally wanted to.

I only had to buy the 1 post and the sakrete since I still had one 4x4x8 leftover from when it used to surround the mulch pit from
The old swing set.

At least the hard part is done now just need to backfill the holes, hang the 3 fence panels and trim the posts.
38BE9EC9-BF32-47B8-8309-FE42D6FBF05B.jpeg635E8A86-E574-4879-A617-1A62944EE2EF.jpeg

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Been planning to build a new deck for 2 years. Finally have the time and help but I'm hearing that lumber is hard to get. My concrete guy says not only that but the price of lumber has almost doubled. Anyone else hearing this or can confirm? :(

Top Bottom