The DIY thread - DIYourself

Citytrikeguy

Thoughts/suggestions on product to use for refinishing picnic table/benches?

View attachment 154813

TIA
Treat it like a deck? I usually over think my projects so, you’ve been warned. HD has a deck wash made by Olympia Stain it smells like bleach BTW.(Don’t use the Home Depot brand deck wash it’s terrible.) That and a light power wash will revive the weathering.
Then you can sand it in stages coarse to fine and seal or stain it as you see fit. The deck wash alone transformed my deck from a weathered grey to like new before I sanded and stained it. I also recommend a stain verses a paint. Paint peels off stain won’t.
Good Luck!

Fat Trout

Thoughts/suggestions on product to use for refinishing picnic table/benches?

View attachment 154813

TIA
I have been using TWP 1500 on decks and deck tables etc. The cedar color would match up to what you have (TWP 1501). It seems to keep the wood in good shape with minimal additional cracking with age. Good color keep. Color wears, add again....power wash before adding again unless you are sun bleached then don't bother....3 years between do overs depending on sun. I order online and ships to me. No problems yet. Low VOC for NJ. The good stuff you can't get anymore (high VOC I guess). Transparent type...ie you don't have to scrape off anything, those are terrible (IMO).

serviceguy

Been cutting down trees for over a week now damn emerald ash borers have hit my property hard! Now I have to play amateur arborist to get rid of them all and I still have way too many to do View attachment 155252View attachment 155251
They're in Ringwood as well, they just had to cut down a huge tree on the street next to mine. The park has been affected heavily as well. I know the name is self explanatory, but is the damage limited to ash trees or they also attach oaks and sugar maples? Interested in your climbing technique as well, I have a few big branches I want to get rid of but I can get to them. And I'm tired of waiting for the tree service (my neighbor) to show up, as he never does.

Over the Bars

They're in Ringwood as well, they just had to cut down a huge tree on the street next to mine. The park has been affected heavily as well. I know the name is self explanatory, but is the damage limited to ash trees or they also attach oaks and sugar maples? Interested in your climbing technique as well, I have a few big branches I want to get rid of but I can get to them. And I'm tired of waiting for the tree service (my neighbor) to show up, as he never does.
Only ash but for me that's a huge problem I have alot of them I'm working on all the ones that will fall on my house and or in the street first then I need to take the rest down that are scattered throughout my property. I'm really mad I hunt and my best tree stand is in an ash that I need to take down as well. As for climbing system its a mix of all sorts of stuff. I use a fishing rod with braided line and a weight to cast up into the crotch of a good limb then I pull a Rock climbing rope and secure that around the base of the tree. I use a Rock climbing harness with a progress capture pulley on the rope. I also use a lineman's belt with a flip line that goes around the tree and I have some old school telco gaffs. Other than the steel core flipline and the stihl intree chainsaw I already had all the other stuff laying around 😂 I have too many hobbies and refuse to pay for someone to do anything for me my motto in life is if I can't figure out how to do it myself I probably don't need it. I collect alot of tools this way but they always end up getting used again.

serviceguy

Only ash but for me that's a huge problem I have alot of them I'm working on all the ones that will fall on my house and or in the street first then I need to take the rest down that are scattered throughout my property. I'm really mad I hunt and my best tree stand is in an ash that I need to take down as well. As for climbing system its a mix of all sorts of stuff. I use a fishing rod with braided line and a weight to cast up into the crotch of a good limb then I pull a Rock climbing rope and secure that around the base of the tree. I use a Rock climbing harness with a progress capture pulley on the rope. I also use a lineman's belt with a flip line that goes around the tree and I have some old school telco gaffs. Other than the steel core flipline and the stihl intree chainsaw I already had all the other stuff laying around 😂 I have too many hobbies and refuse to pay for someone to do anything for me my motto in life is if I can't figure out how to do it myself I probably don't need it. I collect alot of tools this way but they always end up getting used again.
Thank you for the info, I'm kind of the same way but with very little common sense, two weeks ago I almost lost an eye taking down a smallish branch (about 4"-5" diameter) just using a pole saw and a ladder. What could possibly go wrong when I try and climb up 20+ feet on a sugar maple or 30+ on an oak to take down a major limb...can't wait to do it!
unnamed.jpg

serviceguy

So, keeping pushing forward in the good spirit of doing stupid things that should be left to professionals this morning I woke up early to carry out my latest enterprise, spraying the garage roof with moss remover. Our home insurance inspected the property and found two critical areas that if not addressed by 8/1/21 will cause us to not be covered anymore:

- garden refuse bags on the property (duh, remarkably they were not bothered by the concrete clumps piled up behind the house because the dumpster guy would not take them when we remodeled the kitchen and removed some old foundations remnants)

- algae on the dwelling and garage roofs

Now, as for many other things, I bought spray and immediately after we purchased the house, I kid you not. Then completely forgot about the roofs and left the liquid in the garage for the best part of 4 years. The house is really not bad, but the garage looks like snowflake and her seven friends ( trying not to offend anybody, I’m not up to speed with PC by any mean, but who is anyway) had elected residence in there feeling homesick after being evicted from their house under a giant rotten tree!

The plan was to climb on the ladder and ride the spine of the roof spraying left and right. But I chickened out when I got up there...apparently I’m not afraid of heights nor of steep inclines, but the combination of the two...so I decided to spray from the top of the ladder, half roof from the front and the other half from the back, never thought I would appreciate the garage not being large enough. Kudos to me for being a chicken...I meant responsible!

Last edited:

Over the Bars

So, keeping pushing forward in the good spirit of doing stupid things that should be left to professionals this morning I woke up early to carry out my latest enterprise, spraying the garage roof with moss remover. Our home insurance inspected the property and found two critical areas that if not addressed by 8/1/21 will cause us to not be covered anymore:

- garden refuse bags on the property (duh, remarkably they were not bothered by the concrete clumps piled up behind the house because the dumpster guy would not take them when we remodeled the kitchen and removed some old foundations remnants)

- algae on the dwelling and garage roofs

Now, as for many other things, I bought spray and forget immediately afterw we purchased the house, I kid you not. Then completely forgot about the roofs and left the liquid in the garage for the best part of 4 years. The house is really not bad, but the garage looks like snowflake and her seven friends ( trying not to offend anybody, I’m not up to speed with PC by any mean, but who is anyway) had elected residence in there feeling homesick after being evicted from their house under a giant rotten tree!

The plan was to climb on the ladder and ride the spine of the roof spraying left and right. But I chickened out when I got up there...apparently I’m not afraid of heights nor of steep inclines, but the combination of the two...so I decided to spray from the top of the ladder, half roof from the front and the other half from the back, never thought I would appreciate the garage not being large enough. Kudos to be for being a chicken...I meant responsible!
Don't feel bad I hate roofs also. I have to go on them occasionally for work and know plenty of coworkers that have had ladders fall off and they have gotten stuck up there. The worst are slate roofs they scare the hell out of me I don't trust them at all.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't feel bad I hate roofs also. I have to go on them occasionally for work and know plenty of coworkers that have had ladders fall off and they have gotten stuck up there. The worst are slate roofs they scare the hell out of me I don't trust them at all.

yea this, beat me to it, roofs are one thing i am HAPPY to pay someone else to deal with (and theres not many things i can say that about)

serviceguy

I’m more concerned with falling off the roof to be honest, I believe is the smoothness of the shingled roof that freaks me out (and slate would definitely be worse), I’ve walked on clay tile roof much higher than this and never felt the same anxiety.

iman29

I’m more concerned with falling off the roof to be honest, I believe is the smoothness of the shingled roof that freaks me out (and slate would definitely be worse), I’ve walked on clay tile roof much higher than this and never felt the same anxiety.
I will ride the tallest roller coasters but anything beyond the height of a 6 foot ladder and I'm out.

Just the thought of being on the roof makes me nervous, i can't even watch when the gutter cleaning guys come to the neighborhood they walk around like its flat ground.

iman29

Has anyone on here used this instead of quickcrete mix?

I’ve got 2 posts I need to do after the wind took the fence down last week. thinking this might be less hassle than mixing 4 bags of cement into the holes.

Cost wise seems negligible but this seems much more convenient and it’s good to go 2 hours after I pour it so I can rehang the fence panels sooner.

Done sooner is moar better.

88A991F9-7C22-4431-8DB7-3A9776C3B796.png

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone on here used this instead of quickcrete mix?

I’ve got 2 posts I need to do after the wind took the fence down last week. thinking this might be less hassle than mixing 4 bags of cement into the holes.

Cost wise seems negligible but this seems much more convenient and it’s good to go 2 hours after I pour it so I can rehang the fence panels sooner.

Done sooner is moar better.

View attachment 155367
I used this for @ANWJrWill’s ninja rig.
Easy to use, no mess.

Top Bottom