The DIY thread - DIYourself

Damn that’s pretty good I sell those for 10x that pice. If you ever need cable or parts let me know Ill hook you up. I won’t charge you 10x the price ?

thanks - let me know if you have a paradigm speaker contact.....wife needs 7.1. she doesn't know it, but she does.
Used 590s would be a bonus.

Last edited:
thanks - let me know if you have a paradigm speaker contact.....wife needs 7.1. she doesn't know it, but she does.
Used 590s would be a bonus.
We aren't a Paradigm delaer but if I come across something on a trade I will let you know.
We do carry Dali and Dynaudio if you ever want to come down to Millburn and listen.

With all the new wifi stuff, like cameras, lights, switches - especially outside the house, I decided to install an outdoor access point.
Basically a weather hardened version of a wireless router. Decided on Comfast. (yeah, not a great name)

$70
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FT3LFD6/

It is powered over the ethernet cable, so i purchased a 40m cable rated for outdoor use $30 -

Simple enough - plug short cable (included) into modem, other end to power injector, then the long cable from power injector to access point mounted high in the garage.
Visit the admin page to change the password, and put the unit into access point mode (it can also be used as a router, or bridge), set the wifi name and pw

Great coverage of the yard for $100. There are some things with the OS that need to be corrected, but just geeky stuff, like auto correct the time.
Recommended if you have spotty coverage from your indoor unit...

It can be mounted on a pole/pipe with included straps, or to a wall, using protruding anchors.

View attachment 116286
I've been wanted to get something for my parents. Wifi on the porch, just 20-25ft away from AP through the walls, is shit. Would also be nice to get Wifi in the shed. You like this thing for far? Is it mounted exposed to the elements, or under a roof?

I've been wanted to get something for my parents. Wifi on the porch, just 20-25ft away from AP through the walls, is shit. Would also be nice to get Wifi in the shed. You like this thing for far? Is it mounted exposed to the elements, or under a roof?

It is under a roof - actually in an attic space in the garage.
it hasn't crashed, and the smart bulbs talking to it are over 100' away. So far so good.

Any chance of mounting their current AP higher, and perhaps turning it 90deg?
Any other interference nearby? CFL lighting, doorbell transformer, cordless phone base?

We aren't a Paradigm delaer but if I come across something on a trade I will let you know.
We do carry Dali and Dynaudio if you ever want to come down to Millburn and listen.

what are the hot TVs in the 80" class right now?

(don't say OLED)

Last edited:
what are the hot TVs in the 80" class right now?

(don't say OLED)
Sony 77” Z9 (OLED)/ 85” 950G / 85” 900f / 85” 850g
In that order of high end to entry level. I know you said no OLED but not sure why except maybe price???
As an FYI all the panels for tv are made by LG. Sony’s video processing is the best and what sets them apart from Samsung or LG

Attachments

• 0A6E01EB-0456-4478-8D95-A2319FDA82BE.jpeg
    0A6E01EB-0456-4478-8D95-A2319FDA82BE.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 13
Sony 77” Z9 (OLED)/ 85” 950G / 85” 900f / 85” 850g
In that order of high end to entry level. I know you said no OLED but not sure why except maybe price???
As an FYI all the panels for tv are made by LG. Sony’s video processing is the best and what sets them apart from Samsung or LG

since you avoided TVs in the $20k range, i guess OLED is ok :D

Probably not going there - but upping to 85" from the current 80" and going 4k seems like a good deal.
Have apple tv 4k. not sure how much content is out there now.

thanks!

since you avoided TVs in the $20k range, i guess OLED is ok :D

Probably not going there - but upping to 85" from the current 80" and going 4k seems like a good deal.
Have apple tv 4k. not sure how much content is out there now.

thanks!
yeah that the same issue as 15 years ago when HD came out and you had to watch HDnet. It is coming but slowly...The TV's do a great job "upconverting" to 4k.

If you need anything let me know, glad to help

yeah that the same issue as 15 years ago when HD came out and you had to watch HDnet. It is coming but slowly...The TV's do a great job "upconverting" to 4k.

If you need anything let me know, glad to help

newegg has Sony XBR85X950G for under $3k.....2019 model. :shrug:

Nothing too exciting used the rainy day to finally finish painting the bathroom door and door jamb.

Hate painting 6 panel doors but used a life hack I found on the web to paint both sides by temporarily attaching screws to the top and bottom. This let me rest it on the sawhorses while it was still wet underneath and paint the other side. ED6AA5D5-39D4-411C-840A-077A163566A3.jpeg5BD114BF-CE1F-4DAE-93E9-4782AF4D753F.jpeg

That makes the low budget bathroom remodel officially complete.

Just one of those simple annoying things that I got done off the “homework” list.

We redid the kitchen back in 2006 and about 6 months ago the “soft close” on the hidden garbage can drawer stopped working so it would always slam shut the last 2 inches.

Finally got around to taking it apart last week and found the part numbers for the slider rails and replaced them with an exact match up.

Google search took me to cabinetparts.com got great service via online chat and a guarantee if it didn’t fit I could send it back and they would cover return shipping. It helped that I sent them pics of the old ones.

Took less than 5 minutes to change them out and now no more slamming drawer.

6DC133A4-8840-44E3-858A-51279B659E85.jpeg2F399A5C-DC1F-44EC-81E7-0B25515DDE1D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom