The DIY thread - DIYourself

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the last time I washed a vehicle was in the twenty-aughts. I have, however spent thousands of hours since, on yard maintenance, to (presumably) pad my sons' college funds with woulda-been landscaper's money. I tried to get my kids to wash my wife's van, but at 8 they don' get it yet.

Net-Net; I have beer too, could be a business opp'y.

def a business opp'y, i wash my car, but the truck . . . . meh would rather be riding.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Buy white vehicles never wash never garage. Good rainfall/snow takes care of the exterior. Do not vaccum either found the leaf blower and dog take care of that also.

Mathers

Buy white vehicles never wash never garage. Good rainfall/snow takes care of the exterior. Do not vaccum either found the leaf blower and dog take care of that also.
I think white is worse. It shows all the iron deposit (brown spots) which drive me nuts.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
True...but nothing looks better than black all cleaned up.

true, but the first time the wind blows after you finish cleaning it, its dirty again. Black is great for a toy/occasionally driven car, but my dailys, no thanks. I cant stand looking at a dirty car when i walk out of work at the end of the day, and silver doesnt show dirt!

rlb

Not sure this fits here but it is a DIY and I want to whore some pictures
View attachment 105348View attachment 105349Full detail today ?

Looks great, what did you use? The one time I detailed my car (about 2 months after I got it) I was pretty happy with the results, especially for a first time. Then I had a kid, haven't had time to wash it since. Pretty sure this was the stuff I used, have to check the garage.

IMG_20161016_174252238.jpg

Mathers

Looks great, what did you use? The one time I detailed my car (about 2 months after I got it) I was pretty happy with the results, especially for a first time. Then I had a kid, haven't had time to wash it since. Pretty sure this was the stuff I used, have to check the garage.

IMG_20161016_174252238.jpg
I use stuff from Poorboys. They used to be out of NY buy moved to Florida. Good stuff.
I did polish with a Flex orbital and then sealant. The Wolfgang stuff is great but $$$

serviceguy

You don’t want me to wash my car, soon after I’m finished it starts raining. I haven’t done it in twenty years at least. I do vacuum the interior and change the mats when they look tired, but that’s about it.

iman29

I can’t remember the last time I washed my own car and since it’s silver it doesn’t show any dirt until my kids write Wash Me on the tailgate. During the winter I have to car wash it because of the salt and I hate when it’s all over the garage.

I do have to periodically clean out the interior and vacuum inside to get rid of all the bike ride food wrappers and cue sheets I never use that fly around if I want to drive with windows open.

And from personal experience don’t ever forget a banana peel in the back of the cargo area during the summer. ?

iman29

So it’s been a few weeks since the bathroom renovation blog entries but I finally decided about a week or two ago I want my garage space back so I have to get the remaining tasks finished. This time will just be a summary and a few pics not a daily blog.

The main job is replace the bathroom door with a prehung and then do all the door trim and base trim inside the bathroom. Since I have never done this before I watched another 10 YouTube videos and declared myself fully educated but expected problems. And yes of course I had some. More to come.

I made sure I had all the supplies in advance to avoid the mid job trip to the store and I am VERY lucky to have a cycling friend who has all these fancy tools that he loaned me.
8AE48795-DD02-425E-B803-13E4E83F9419.jpeg

Removing old door went fine as I have my own sawzall for that but the new door seemed to have slightly smaller/narrower measurements and did not drop into place as expected. Problems started with the fact the bathroom has the marble saddle and once I trimmed the door stop moulding to fit, it made the jamb at the bottom too wide and the door gaps were then all out of line
5045F2FD-AE84-4887-86D4-71C15B7C8E55.jpeg
FF4AFF4B-2694-4733-B097-F7AB3B41813F.jpeg

I solved that problem but going to the tile store and he trimmed it 1/2 inch for me for free. Shout out to Specialty Tile in Mount Olive NJ.

Well solved in problems but created another. Since I cut the floor tiles around the old jamb now the new door doesn’t fit. So had to redo 3 of the vinyl laminate tiles around the new jamb and Reglue the saddle. Ugh.

08FA6053-BAB5-46B0-90EB-064221C3ABC4.jpeg
0C2F1ED0-02C2-429C-82F3-D9412B72E149.jpeg
1740CCE4-769C-40CF-AC8C-E81FADF4D606.jpeg

Next post. The wrap up.

iman29

Finally ready for door and base trim. I decided to take the step of painting all the trim before I install it this time. Glad I did. Plus I had base trim left over from a kitchen remodel back in 2006 (yes really) and I was able to use that for the bathroom. Score. 78C9CADC-77F9-4930-81E0-47212FCF611A.jpeg
4011D34B-7A8B-4C2F-B1AA-D2B353955588.jpeg

I admit I messed up a few cuts and had to run out and buy a few more pieces of door trim but once I got the hang of it I was pretty happy with how it went. And it helps a lot to have the right tools for the job. I even learned how to make coping cuts for the corners. Thanks YouTube.
1E6EAB41-D0C7-4868-8F60-72325C9E435E.jpeg
D55D14B0-8B00-44FC-84E2-50A51FF0D37C.jpeg
13CDF58B-A80C-44FE-AD65-AE99D0787F8F.jpeg
DAF61759-85AD-48E3-952A-82AA391358B9.jpeg

Oh and caulk is my friend. Not every miter cut was perfect but for a beginner I think it came out pretty good.
E21F3D9B-0D14-4D8E-BC6A-6F583D048881.jpeg0814F961-FF53-4988-ACF1-6419B1A40E27.jpeg58574FA2-9B3B-4EC4-B828-AAD898D3A799.jpeg

So aside from painting the door and touching up the trim this project is done. While I didn’t plan to spend the money right now since I had the time to get it done I am happy I did it. And to think it all started with a leaky sink....

ekuhn

Finally ready for door and base trim. I decided to take the step of painting all the trim before I install it this time. Glad I did. Plus I had base trim left over from a kitchen remodel back in 2006 (yes really) and I was able to use that for the bathroom. Score. View attachment 107901
View attachment 107900

I admit I messed up a few cuts and had to run out and buy a few more pieces of door trim but once I got the hang of it I was pretty happy with how it went. And it helps a lot to have the right tools for the job. I even learned how to make coping cuts for the corners. Thanks YouTube.
View attachment 107902
View attachment 107903
View attachment 107904
View attachment 107905

Oh and caulk is my friend. Not every miter cut was perfect but for a beginner I think it came out pretty good.
View attachment 107906View attachment 107907View attachment 107908

So aside from painting the door and touching up the trim this project is done. While I didn’t plan to spend the money right now since I had the time to get it done I am happy I did it. And to think it all started with a leaky sink....

Caulk and Paint will make ya whatcha ain't.

Looking good man. You should be proud you got through this! On to the next bathroom!

iman29

Caulk and Paint will make ya whatcha ain't.

Looking good man. You should be proud you got through this! On to the next bathroom!
Thanks! yeah she has some plans for my new skills especially since now the other 4 doors in the hallway dont match any more :shrug:

THATmanMANNY

NEED PAINT / POPCORN WALLS TESTED

I have some popcorn walls I want to get rid of. I need it tested for toxins (i.e. asbestos). Anyone have any info?

I know home improvement sells kits and send it in somewhere but anywhere local I can just drop off a sample and have it tested thoroughly?

serviceguy

NEED PAINT / POPCORN WALLS TESTED

I have some popcorn walls I want to get rid of. I need it tested for toxins (i.e. asbestos). Anyone have any info?

I know home improvement sells kits and send it in somewhere but anywhere local I can just drop off a sample and have it tested thoroughly?

You can just pick up a test kit at Home Depot and send it in to be tested, they also give you instructions on how to get the sample if that is what worries you. It only take a few days to get the results. For removal, if necessary, I have some contact info for a company that was also used with satisfactory results by @rlb (I think) .

Reactions: rlb
Top Bottom