The DIY thread - DIYourself

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any thoughts on tile cutters? I feel like I can get away with a manual cutter for my kitchen, but I could also rent a saw. 10mm porcelain tile. Everything is square, no diagonal cuts.
You can but you'll lose a dozen to rushing the cut, it's a guarantee. Rental is cheap and worth every penny. Just make them put a new blade before you haul. Explain that you expect it for the cost of the rental.

Mathers

That’s very cool @mattybfat
I install home theaters and haven’t seen this yet. Nice work ! Is this your full time gig? I may be able to use your services in the future if your near Essex county.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That’s very cool @mattybfat
I install home theaters and haven’t seen this yet. Nice work ! Is this your full time gig? I may be able to use your services in the future if your near Essex county.
If carpentry is what your asking then yes that's my gig 35 years and counting :)
Always have interest in unique projects, especially when challenged.

THATmanMANNY

I have a living room about 20 ft by 15 ft. Adding recessed round lights. Any insight how many and size? Not looking for aesthetics just function.

8 lights? (2 by 4 layout) or 12? (3 by 4 layout)

It's next to a kitchen with no wall in between them (well thats the remodel coming up).

I read about 4 feet spacing and maybe 3 feet from the walls to avoid big shadows. Also, my ceiling height it like 7.5 ft. Odd but it is bad 60s architecture.

rlb

I read about 4 feet spacing and maybe 3 feet from the walls to avoid big shadows. Also, my ceiling height it like 7.5 ft. Odd but it is bad 60s architecture.

This sounds about right, I think the rough rule of thumb is to space them ~ 1/2 the ceiling height. If you have a soffit running through the room (ac ducts, or the girder) keep that in mind because it can cast a shadow if it's against a wall. I didn't catch until my basement renovation was completed, so I have a huge shadow under the duct soffit but that would have been tough to avoid regardless.

Mathers

You need to consider what types of fixtures you will be using which I assume will be LED and the temperature of the light.

Mathers

serviceguy

@serviceguy that's very cryptic. Interesting...
https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news...ul-scientists-suggest-a-simple-solution-58544
sounds like more concern with the bright blue light
living room will be more warm/soft white (yellower)

Sorry for the crypticness, I did not have time to add a link to my comment.

Other studies. https://gunnar.com/do-environmentally-friendly-led-lights-cause-blindness/

It appears that the blue spikes are 'less' damaging in warmer lights, yet still present. I personally notice a rather alarming deterioration of my eyesight since I started using my iPhone (I am a very late adopter, but a most frequently using one).

Mathers

Sorry for the crypticness, I did not have time to add a link to my comment.

Other studies. https://gunnar.com/do-environmentally-friendly-led-lights-cause-blindness/

It appears that the blue spikes are 'less' damaging in warmer lights, yet still present. I personally notice a rather alarming deterioration of my eyesight since I started using my iPhone (I am a very late adopter, but a most frequently using one).
I’m starting to do the old man squint to read things. I’m sure staring at my phone doesn’t help

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
need to decide if on recessed lights, flush lights, or low profile surface mounted ligh
need 6 - 5" lights. maybe 8 - 4" lights - two rows. i'm running 8 4" in a 15x29 room (4x2)
put pairs/or more on different switches, or use smart lights - mine are in a tv room, and i can have a tv scene that works great.
get white light, 3000k or higher (my pref)
the light will specify the compatible dimmer - can't have too much light if you have a dimmer.

w_b

I think the last time I washed a vehicle was in the twenty-aughts. I have, however spent thousands of hours since, on yard maintenance, to (presumably) pad my sons' college funds with woulda-been landscaper's money. I tried to get my kids to wash my wife's van, but at 8 they don' get it yet.

Net-Net; I have beer too, could be a business opp'y.

Top Bottom