The DIY thread - DIYourself

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thanks a lot it was hard work and it tried my patience more than once but it came out pretty good for a DIYer. And thanks to YOU I didn’t make the mistake of that glue down tile.

As for the drain the plumbing supply guy told me the same thing and I was all excited until I found it’s been soldered in place.

I almost cut it and installed a new section with a rubber coupler but I took the time to try to make it fit just with the new trap and it worked out. The old pipe just needed a new washer under the nut. I loaded up some plumber putty under the nut and around it just in case.

It passed The toilet paper test with flying colors the last 24-48 hours no leaks. Whew.

I finally have a job interview tmw or the wall mirror would be done but it Will be done before the weekend. View attachment 103777

just remembered there are also double slip joint extensions - but i doubt that they would seal around the chrome pipe - maybe a 1.5" would work around the copper,
but this creates a leading edge inside the drain, which will eventually clog.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Double-Slip-Joint-Connector-C9793D/205153873

serviceguy

@Patrick, as you appear to be THE go to guy on this stuff, I hope you don't mind me asking...

Goal:

I need to extend the (vertical) 3/4" copper pipe that goes through the living floor and connect one of my baseboards to the rest of the system.

Why:

The plumber that did the connection (the baseboards were all disconnected when the subfloor was rebuilt) decided to crimp the pipe under the floor and sized the pipe sticking out the floor using as a reference the new bare subfloor instead of the adjacent dining room floor. As it happens, he did not leave any slack in the pipe. Now that I am going to tile the semi-rough living room floor that means that I don't have enough clearance to place the cement board and tiles (in addition to an extra layer of plywood, but that is another complicated story) under the baseboard, and even if I had any it would look weird since the baseboard now sits at least 2" lower than the next section just across the door (living room and dining room are contiguous and not separated by any wall. Let me add that I fired this plumber in the middle of the renovation due to one too many glorious screw ups he performed on the kitchen sink vent and laundry water feed and drain, but this issue had been flying under my radar until I gathered the energy to start thinking about fixing the living room...

Problem:

I would ordinarily get my torch and add a section of copper pipe to that sucker to level it with the rest of the baseboards, but I am resisting ding that because of the rubber pipe crimped to the pipe under the floor in the crawlspace, which really doesn't make want to go down there to fix a leaky heating pipe.

Alternative Solution:

I was thinking about using a compression fitting but I have no idea if this would be acceptable on a baseboard heating system. I don't see why not but...

Thanks for any input.

rick81721

Lothar
@Patrick, as you appear to be THE go to guy on this stuff, I hope you don't mind me asking...

Goal:

I need to extend the (vertical) 3/4" copper pipe that goes through the living floor and connect one of my baseboards to the rest of the system.

Why:

The plumber that did the connection (the baseboards were all disconnected when the subfloor was rebuilt) decided to crimp the pipe under the floor and sized the pipe sticking out the floor using as a reference the new bare subfloor instead of the adjacent dining room floor. As it happens, he did not leave any slack in the pipe. Now that I am going to tile the semi-rough living room floor that means that I don't have enough clearance to place the cement board and tiles (in addition to an extra layer of plywood, but that is another complicated story) under the baseboard, and even if I had any it would look weird since the baseboard now sits at least 2" lower than the next section just across the door (living room and dining room are contiguous and not separated by any wall. Let me add that I fired this plumber in the middle of the renovation due to one too many glorious screw ups he performed on the kitchen sink vent and laundry water feed and drain, but this issue had been flying under my radar until I gathered the energy to start thinking about fixing the living room...

Problem:

I would ordinarily get my torch and add a section of copper pipe to that sucker to level it with the rest of the baseboards, but I am resisting ding that because of the rubber pipe crimped to the pipe under the floor in the crawlspace, which really doesn't make want to go down there to fix a leaky heating pipe.

Alternative Solution:

I was thinking about using a compression fitting but I have no idea if this would be acceptable on a baseboard heating system. I don't see why not but...

Thanks for any input.

I hear these guys are cheap and good. Did I mention cheap?

SMEdit_CurlyinPipes_PlumbingTTS-046-010web.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Goal:

Why:

Problem:

Alternative Solution:

Thanks for any input.

Just pull the pipe up? Oh. You said no slack.

When you say rubber, I suspect you mean high temp PEX?

Cut off the part coming through the floor and replace it. They make PEX to copper elbows

You could try soldering an extension if you can get a wet rag wrapped at the pex joint

Oh and pictures help

serviceguy

Just pull the pipe up? Oh. You said no slack.

When you say rubber, I suspect you mean high temp PEX?

Cut off the part coming through the floor and replace it. They make PEX to copper elbows

You could try soldering an extension if you can get a wet rag wrapped at the pex joint

Oh and pictures help

I guess I'll have to go fight the cave crickets and snap a few pictures under the floor.

iman29

just remembered there are also double slip joint extensions - but i doubt that they would seal around the chrome pipe - maybe a 1.5" would work around the copper,
but this creates a leading edge inside the drain, which will eventually clog.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Double-Slip-Joint-Connector-C9793D/205153873
Thanks I saw that too when I was considering cutting the part of the Ptrap that comes out if the wall.

But since now nothing leaks I am not going to even look at it anymore let alone touch it.

But again, thanks. ??

iman29

My way of helping the wife visualize where the mirror will go and making sure it’s centered in the space using the tape outline.

Mirror was 25 bucks off FB marketplace.

6F17E8D5-DBF3-4FFF-AF13-B5F860AC23E2.jpegE6D5C25C-8D12-4F4F-88C6-C3C9F8ACC44D.jpeg3FB0308E-9AD8-423F-8FBA-EA0A079E2D2C.jpeg

And now I’m officially done for a few weeks.

Wife approved. Happy wife happy life.

One last shout out to @clarkenstein for the idea of vinyl tile in the first place. ??

Until the next project.....

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Latest iteration of a rich mans money dump

This is the outside the theater that I did.
It is the popcorn stand ? it starts with buying an antique glass display.

20190820_103142.jpg

Then I am asked to match the doors with a wainscoating and add some cabinets.
20190823_154450.jpg

20190826_144155.jpg

Set for a 3/4 granite top, wait, change of plans make it match the glass display.
20190828_152614.jpg
Yikes, I got this.
20190830_114414.jpg

I bring this back when I get floor and finish done.

Theater is getting good use, coming for some football sundays for sure. This is how the theater is looking now.
20190830_123925.jpg

Attachments

• 20190828_102202.jpg
    20190828_102202.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 4

iman29

View attachment 103868

View attachment 103869

View attachment 103870

Set for a 3/4 granite top, wait, change of plans make it match the glass display.
View attachment 103872
Yikes, I got this.
View attachment 103873

Theater is getting good use, coming for some football sundays for sure. This is how the theater is looking now.
View attachment 103874
holy shit is that someones house?

thats some amazing wood work on the wall for sure:thumbsup::popcorn:

ekuhn

View attachment 103868

View attachment 103869

View attachment 103870

View attachment 103872
Yikes, I got this.
View attachment 103873

View attachment 103874

Hella nice work there @mattybfat !!!

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Any thoughts on tile cutters? I feel like I can get away with a manual cutter for my kitchen, but I could also rent a saw. 10mm porcelain tile. Everything is square, no diagonal cuts.

Top Bottom