The DIY thread - DIYourself

serviceguy

Where do I find a water main wrench to shut off my water supply at the curb? I need to replace the tap on the side of the house and the pipe branches right after the first (of many) shut off valve that unfortunately is completely stuck. I should call the city and they will do it for free (I think( but I just can't come up with a schedule, there's always something new popping out and it's been way too long now...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Where do I find a water main wrench to shut off my water supply at the curb? I need to replace the tap on the side of the house and the pipe branches right after the first (of many) shut off valve that unfortunately is completely stuck. I should call the city and they will do it for free (I think( but I just can't come up with a schedule, there's always something new popping out and it's been way too long now...

they have them at home depot.
search water main key - there are a couple types/lengths, so aim a flashlight down first.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
not sure if this should be here or the things that make you frown thread (maybe both), but found a leaking sweat union the previous owner (or one of his contractors) sweat into the pipes . . . . Third time in 3 years iv had this happen, both of the other two times were holiday weekends, at least i had the tools already, still not how i wanted to spend time on a sunday afternoon :/ (at least it was raining)

20190505_155905.jpg20190505_160237.jpg20190505_161246.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
not sure if this should be here or the things that make you frown thread (maybe both), but found a leaking sweat union the previous owner (or one of his contractors) sweat into the pipes . . . . Third time in 3 years iv had this happen, both of the other two times were holiday weekends, at least i had the tools already, still not how i wanted to spend time on a sunday afternoon :/ (at least it was raining)

View attachment 94704View attachment 94705View attachment 94706
What kind of pipes are those? Do you live in a steampunk house?

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
the existing pipes are a combination of Copper and PEX, all painted black in the ceiling . . . . (i have no clue why) the new stuff is PEX with the brass sharkbites, bc i dont want to drain the entire house plumbing to sweat new copper unions in.

house is 100+ years old tho pretty much everything has been updated along the way.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Spent today reworking the sheathing to fit properly and then adding the cedar shake shingles to the outside of my garage. 1.5 cases of shingles went up today, suprisingly fast. Still need to finish the roof, gonna pick up a roll of standard asphalt shingle to finish this section (just a little shed roofed bump out off the back).

sorry no pictures of new cedar shingles, retarped the roof and it covers most of the shingles :'( looks good doe.

qclabrat

Spent today reworking the sheathing to fit properly and then adding the cedar shake shingles to the outside of my garage. 1.5 cases of shingles went up today, suprisingly fast. Still need to finish the roof, gonna pick up a roll of standard asphalt shingle to finish this section (just a little shed roofed bump out off the back).

sorry no pictures of new cedar shingles, retarped the roof and it covers most of the shingles :'( looks good doe.
Are your shingles also cedar? I looked at a home in Far Hills with split cedar shingles it was really interesting

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are your shingles also cedar? I looked at a home in Far Hills with split cedar shingles it was really interesting

no the roof shingles on the garage are asphault, was hoping to pick up a roll of shingle last night, but my home depot was out of stock?!?!? (WTF?!?!?!)

i only need like 15 feet off the roll and id be done :/ :shrug:

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
finally got this finished, the other HD omw home from work had the shingle and repair tar (in a caulk gun tube, super simple) in stock.

20190527_152810.jpg

yes theres a little more work to do when the picture was taken, but its done now!

rick81721

Lothar
Re-grouted one of the bathroom shower walls. I forgot what a royal pain in the ass that job was. Now gotta do the master bath - booo!

iman29

It’s that time of year I dream about how nice a new deck would be and how I have this great design in my head to expand it and add a second set of stairs down the side of the house ( currently only one way off the deck to the yard).

Then reality hits and I continue the 15+ year tradition of putting another 2 coats of solid stain down which will last only until about September. Much cheaper than a new deck. At least today it was sunny and cool out and not 100F and humid.

I call this job “putting lipstick on a pig”

E2B970B4-DD7B-4C75-BBEE-AA248F447BA0.jpegF186E782-6D3B-4B86-B9DA-F4F1076D9344.jpeg

ekuhn

It’s that time of year I dream about how nice a new deck would be and how I have this great design in my head to expand it and add a second set of stairs down the side of the house ( currently only one way off the deck to the yard).

Then reality hits and I continue the 15+ year tradition of putting another 2 coats of solid stain down which will last only until about September. Much cheaper than a new deck. At least today it was sunny and cool out and not 100F and humid.

I call this job “putting lipstick on a pig”

View attachment 96754View attachment 96755

Make the switch to trex and you'll never have to put that lipstick on ever again.

Top Bottom