the diet thread!

TonyC

well today is day 1 of my diet and quest to drop a bunch of weight and get myself into great shape. wish me luck. ill be keeping this thread alive and updating it weekly with updates. if anyone else would like to join me in this feel free.

november 17th- 225 pounds.

best of luck!
It's all about portion control and eat many small meals to fuel the fire. Never skip a meal and drink lots of water.

Weight Watchers Point system really works.
In 4/mths I'm down from 227.4 to 205.2 (last weekly weigh-in).

mmm.. What's for lunch?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh...now your all for setting goals and whatnot??? :rolleyes:

Nah, I just like to taunt others. ;)

I would give MIG my advice but this thread is soon going to be 20 pages long with various pieces of advice, many of them conflicting. I've said it before, but I've probably lost more weight than most people but what I know works for me, not necessarily anyone else. That's sort of advice I guess, figure out how you work, then go with it.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I've made a couple of valid attempts at getting my arse in shape and they never lasted. I started again in August and i'm approaching it a lot differently. In the past i've gone balls out; dieted, and hit the gym daily and hard. I think the drastic change to my life wore me out and i just couldn't take it over many months and i ended up losing the routine and getting worse than before. This time around i've taken an approach that is more close to my normal lifestyle as opposed to being very aggressive, and it is holding up nicely. Instead of going to the gym daily, i go a few times a week.

I also subscribe to Men's Health, which is $20 for two years. I find that reading that magazine regularly just kind of gets me thinking healthy. But the abundance of men's underwear adds are very disturbing.

xc62701

I made a big change 3 years ago when this whole biking addicition came about. I changed my lifestyle and made it a point to be more active and more conscious about what I did activity wise and about my diet. The activity part came naturally as I'm a crackhead when it comes to biking, hiking, skiing, etc... The diet has gotten much better and now I'm honing it even more for 2009. I went from pushing 210 down to a comfortable 170 and in race season I'll push around 165 or so. With a new training plan I intend to be 160 to 165 with more fitness and muscle mass this upcoming year. It's doable. I just need that whole discipline thing... December 1st starts the new training plan and weights and the healthier diet has been put into effect as well.

mwlikesbikes

Attachments

• Judge_Smails.jpg
    Judge_Smails.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 129

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
hahh. oh man our father is making a deep fried turkey and shes making some apple sausage stuffing amongst the other three days worth of cooling.

N

NiceIrishGirl

Ok!!

Well, We're Waiting!!!

OK> since you put it that way...

Appetizers:
Veggies/dip
stuffed mushrooms
shrimp platter

Dinner:
2 turkeys:
1 traditional oven baked
1 deep fried

2 stuffings:
1 plain for the kids
1 with sausage/apples/carmelized onions

Mashed potatoes
Green beans (my secret recipe, NOT the casserole)
Sweet potatoes with butter/brown sugar
Homemade cranberry sauce
Biscuits
Gravy

Pumpkin roll
cheesecake
fruit

All of the above made from scratch, of course. ;)
Yes sir, nothing like an IRISH family get together.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
There's tons of things to do here, I'm sure you'll get tons more advice. There is hope, and it is a lot easier than it seems, it takes a few weeks to into the swing, after that it's just sticking to it. I was 240 pounds in 2006, by the time I started racing in 2007, I was 165. My diet changed a bit and I rode my bike everyday. Nothing too crazy. Cut back 500 calories a day and exercise for 1 hour for another 500 calories. It adds up quick. Good luck!!

-Jim.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Three things that worked for me:

Made friends with the road bike and trainer. Rode the trainer 3 nights a week and two MTB rides on the weekends. Pounds literally drip off on the trainer.
No soda. It's crap. Even if it says zero calories, your body knows it's bullshit. Stick to juices and water (even wine and beer are better than soda if you ever lax on the sXe), again even if the calories technically are more. Big jugs of tasty Poland Spring water. Mmmm.

Smaller dinners, regardless of what it is. Portion control is big, esp. at day's end. Remember this: Sumo wrestlers work out all day and would be ripped if they didn't eat giant meals at the end of the day.
Good luck man -

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
This is great - it's like that movie Truman show, were all rooting for you!!!! Do it MIG, but remind everyone that you dont drink - its kinda redundant to offer wine as a great sub for beer ect.:worthless

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i updated the first post with a pic from day one. ill prolly do an every two weeks picture and ill update it on the first post each time

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
you pretty much have to start to hate food. its boot camp dropping LBS. i lost 40lbs got down to 198 for the navy and they wouldn't except me due to tattoos, so i found it and put it back on. scott we got curves like the chick from the sisterhood movie(that i didn't ever watch it's just a reference). Good luck i'll be your support, call me and tell me what you want to eat when you get a fat attack and ill go eat it for you.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
hahhaah fair enough man. i dont have a problem dieting. im not really a BIG eater anyhow. just gain weight easily when im not eating correctly.

Liv2Ride

Keep EATING,EATING, and more EATING!!! :) Actually eat as much of the better foods,instead of chips eat fruit,etc...I actually eat 6 times a day minimum but no more junk foods. In 6 months I've dropped 30lbs eating this way and I dont even feel like its dieting,when I'm hungry I still go to my kitchen and grab some kind of fruit/yogurt/nuts whatever and eat as much of it as I want. Also as someone else said lay off the diet/zero calories beverages, drink water!! Last but not least,exercise and biking sure has gotten me off my couch plus this past summer I've started martial arts training and that definitely kicks my ass...Anyway good luck man!!Keep it up!!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Keep it up man. This is by far the hardest time of year to pull off this type of thing. Having a bunch of folks at your back watching might help some. I could stand to loose a few and I know how to do it. I just haven't.

Keep it going!

j

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Smaller dinners, regardless of what it is. Portion control is big, esp. at day's end. Remember this: Sumo wrestlers work out all day and would be ripped if they didn't eat giant meals at the end of the day.
Good luck man -

This is what worked the best for me. I was as heavy as 285 lbs (im 5'10) at one point in my life. Now im about 195-200. 2 years ago after I broke my leg and got back up to about 250, I really made an effort to start dieting again. The biggest help was eating a small dinner. My biggest meal is breakfast, smaller lunch, even smaller dinner.

Top Bottom