The Darkhorse Gallop

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the offer, would love to tag along and will be there at 8 for sure. I have the directions from the h2h website and they lead to New Rd on 207, is that the best meeting spot?

Eric

Eric- Yep, follow signs for the airport, then go past it and it's a few miles further on the right. It's a small parking lot so careful not to miss it.

So how's the course look/feel? Technical? Climbing? Good stout trees for hanging blow-up dolls?

Stewarts this week

I'm going to try and make it over to stewarts tomorrow @ about 3:30. I was over on Saturday, but I forgot my map and missed out on part of the course.

-rf:)

So how's the course look/feel? Technical? Climbing? Good stout trees for hanging blow-up dolls?

I only rode the southern half last thursday night. I wouldnt call it technical. Fast and no real climbing. Small elevation changes. LOTS of sharp turns and really tight. Just crusing though with my GF was really fun. If I make it up for the race I can totally see myself blowing though a turn and slamming into a tree. No shortage of trees, thats for sure.

I only rode the southern half last thursday night. I wouldnt call it technical. Fast and no real climbing. Small elevation changes. LOTS of sharp turns and really tight. Just crusing though with my GF was really fun. If I make it up for the race I can totally see myself blowing though a turn and slamming into a tree. No shortage of trees, thats for sure.

we rode the whole course yest. 7:15 a.m. (not marked yet)
From the "start" into the prolog it is flat and wide then on the way out is faster single track back to the road.
The hill climb is "a Hill" then left onto Major Mike.
Major Mike is more climbing tight ST 1/2 way through then turned into awesome fun tight ST down hill till you hit the left onto the road.
Sara's way to Prime Hill then around to 3 Sister (ouch) all seemed uphill. Maybe it was the brutal 95+ heat.
Then the fun really started. From the top of 3 Sister was all super fast single track past Red bridge to the Porta John then down Shale Bank. After that it's all flat w/(little ups/downs) back to the road then Uphill to the finish.

The course is fun, fast, and will push your limits. Nice to meet the DarkHorse guys on Major Mike.
pics on www.getoutsidemore.com

It's got some new sections from last year. Some singletrack on the back end of the loop is like 6 inches wide and meanders amongst the trees -- doesn't look like a biking trail. Definitely get a good position by the end of the prologue because passing in the singletrack ain't gonna be easy. Overall a little more challenging than last year but still only one hill that will force some riders to dismount. Should be fast.

From the "start" into the prolog it is flat and wide then on the way out is faster single track back to the road.
The hill climb is "a Hill" then left onto Major Mike.
Major Mike is more climbing tight ST 1/2 way through then turned into awesome fun tight ST down hill till you hit the left onto the road.
Sara's way to Prime Hill then around to 3 Sister (ouch) all seemed uphill. Maybe it was the brutal 95+ heat.
Then the fun really started. From the top of 3 Sister was all super fast single track past Red bridge to the Porta John then down Shale Bank. After that it's all flat w/(little ups/downs) back to the road then Uphill to the finish.

Let me get this straight...
You started with someone flat and wide?
You went half-way down on Major Mike before you left?
Then you had your way with Sara and her three sisters?
As you finished with the ladies you left a deposit in John?

Dude!?! Shaniqua and I are gonna have fun at this race. :rofl:

I raced here 3 times last year, I remember there being trails there, did you see any of them before your orgy in the woods:hmmm:

-Jim.

Ben, you have waaaayyyyy too much time on your hands.
Go ride a bike... or play with your camera... or go do both. And don't forget the tongue.:p

I can totally see myself blowing though a turn and slamming into a tree. No shortage of trees, thats for sure.

Trees?... UGH!!!!

slight course change

we have made a slight course change.
at the intersection where the porta-jon is instead of goung down the road and over the shale banks you will make a left up the dirt berm and dive into the singletrack. it adds a cool little piece of trail and keeps you off that road and away from those big stinky puddles!

the course is being marked as i type this by george! he is donating more sweat and possibly getting a little more poison ivy!!!

That is a sweet bit of trail, so it's cool that it is back in, but I was hoping we would get to drop off the side of that shale bank. I must have done it10 times yesterday. It was addictive

Hey, any of you Stewart regulars have driving directions for those of us who know not where we're going?

Thanks, as they say, in advance!

you can put the below address into google maps and it will lead you right to the parking lot off rt 207.

1 new road, rock tavern ny 12575

Thank you Sir!

Now this...this is what I call customer service baby! Mike even offered to recommend a tree to hang the venerable MTBNJ mascot on Sunday.

we at the darkhorse aim to please! and who are we to say that you cant bring your inflatable "friend"

the course has been fully marked and george has bathed himself in calamine lotion for the poison ivy and IPA to fend off dehydration!

we marked the starting line about 100 yards down the road from where you will turn into the campground rd for the prolog. it is our usual starting/staging area

so get out there and pre-ride it and get over to bike reg and sign up!
remember day of registration goes up $10 hard earned american dollars! so stick it to the man and pre-reg! :)

remember day of licenses are $5.

Has anyone got a gps of last years Darkhorse 40? I was going to head up there tomorrow to ride the race course but wanted to ride a longer course too. Everyone say's it's a great place to ride so I'm going to have a blast...

Has anyone got a gps of last years Darkhorse 40? I was going to head up there tomorrow to ride the race course but wanted to ride a longer course too. Everyone say's it's a great place to ride so I'm going to have a blast...

Longer ride? The race course is marked with all the bells and whistles (not sure what that really means) The Sportster classes are doing 14.7 miles (gulp)
Dan, may I borrow your lungs for Sunday's race? I sware I'll give em' back to ya :D

Name with held ... :)

Longer course? The race course is fully marked with all the bells and whistles (don't know what that really means) the Sportster classes are doing 14.7 miles! Dan, may I use your lungs for the race this Sunday? I sware I give em back to ya! :D

Back
Top Bottom