The Bridges of 6MR

"I believe it was the first truss bridge installed ? We are lucky to have Mr. X building the trusses, and the volunteers to install them."
1619695552674-png.156641

Pretty sure this bridge was from the old deck at @mandi's parents house in Hillsborough, even more history for y'all.

I rode South Park in Pittsburgh over the weekend and they used metal lath laid over all of their bridges. I thought it was a great idea to increase traction over slippery boards. I wish I took pictures. They even had their local trail team laser/plasma cut into metal strips they used to at the ends and seams. The only down side would be what said material would do to skin in the event of a crash.
This stuff:

Attachments

• DA9CFA9C-EB73-4227-8935-08C3E7B128F9.jpeg
    DA9CFA9C-EB73-4227-8935-08C3E7B128F9.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 103
I rode South Park in Pittsburgh over the weekend and they used metal lath laid over all of their bridges. I thought it was a great idea to increase traction over slippery boards. I wish I took pictures. They even had their local trail team laser/plasma cut into metal strips they used to at the ends and seams. The only down side would be what said material would do to skin in the event of a crash.
This stuff:

I've seen expanded metal and chicken wire used. It is More important if the bridges aren't level.

6mr as a trail system doesn't do well in the rain, so wet weather really isn't an issue, since nobody should be riding.

I have slid off the boardwalks at the sourlands from morning moisture!

The metal signage is really cool.

Putting that stuff over bridges sometimes isn’t the best for dogs, it can get rusty and cut their foot pads.
If you fall on one of those…. 🩸
I think maintenance is the main issue with that stuff. The places I have seen it used, there are always sections missing, which leaves jagged edges all over, which really isnt good for any trail user. It also isnt the most natural looking material available.

This stuff:

I saw this stuff at the Forks Area Trail System (FATS) in South Carolina. Works well where things get wet and slippery.

I have seen pics of astroturf being used on features. I feel like I saw this in a Florida video/image recently.

Roofing shingles and chicken wire do not hold up long term and pretty sure they're an IMBA no-no. Preferred method is gritty paint (paint with sand mixed in or something specifically made for that purpose) or cut grooves into the wood i think. Also, must leave gap between boards - large enough for water to drain through, but small enough that kids/dogs feet/paws can't fall through.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions