The Best Mud Tires?

Just looking for reco's on the best tires for riding in wet and muddy conditions. Chimney Rock is my usual spot and it's more than a bit boggy right now. Also planning to ride Waywayanda in the coming weeks, and Wayway can be wet even in the driest times. The last time I rode CR my tires did well up until the mud. I ride a Kenda Kharisma in the rear and a Michelin XC PRo in the front.

The Kharisma does not shed mud well at all, and I find myself losing traction on climbs. It's a gem in rock gardens. I plan to keep the tire but I am looking for a tire that will perform better in muddy conditions as I go in to longer spring training rides.

Any suggestions? Also, anyone have opinions on the WTB Weirwolf tires - they get great reviews on MTBR and I'm thinking of getting a pair as my all around riding and racing tires.

Mods, sorry if this post is misplaced. did not seem like it belonged 100% in product reviews.

thanks,

~A

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i love weirwolfs, but found that they pack up quickly in really muddy conditions. i was running them for the 2003 pedrosfest, which was complete mud, on the front, and had to be really careful that the front didn't wash out in all the turns. was running a continental cross-country in the rear, which was a great mud tire. sort of like a velociraptor only with more spaced out lugs.

just keep these things in mind:

*riding in muddy conditions is generally bad for the trails.
*wider tires can help limit the negative effects of riding muddy trails.
*narrow, spikey tires are often the best performers in mud.

so, the best tires for mud, are also the worst tires for mud...

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Do exactly the opposite of everything on mtbr and you'll do just fine.............

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Mtbr seems to be like all the mags(MBA) to me, totally west coast driven and useless around here.If you lay any of the "wolves" over to carve at speed you will be on the ground in short order.And I'm not cynical I am reality.I'll tell you you suck during the ride not talk poo about you after you leave and on the other side of that still take you anywhere you want to ride and help you as much as i can to get better.I just get pipey in here cause sometimes i just seems that some people are content being the cool mtber "king of the watercooler" at work and just want to log on and talk about what they"need" to buy and what they're "gonna" do.Screw the training,the average speeds and the GPS, just ride like an 8 year old jacked up on pixie stix...........PS can't wait to meet you and jake

walter

Fourth Party
exactly

Mtbr seems to be like all the mags(MBA) to me, totally west coast driven and useless around here.If you lay any of the "wolves" over to carve at speed you will be on the ground in short order.And I'm not cynical I am reality.I'll tell you you suck during the ride not talk poo about you after you leave and on the other side of that still take you anywhere you want to ride and help you as much as i can to get better.I just get pipey in here cause sometimes i just seems that some people are content being the cool mtber "king of the watercooler" at work and just want to log on and talk about what they"need" to buy and what they're "gonna" do.Screw the training,the average speeds and the GPS, just ride like an 8 year old jacked up on pixie stix...........PS can't wait to meet you and jake

a few years ago I bought the panaracer fires because there was like 7682 reviews on mtbr and everyone loved them, I thought they sucked, I gave them away

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's

dude, i am an 8 year old jacked on pixie stix. all that nonsense just keeps me honest and on my bike. but i'm still gonna get the panaracers. :D

Mtbr seems to be like all the mags(MBA) to me, totally west coast driven and useless around here....i just seems that some people are content being the cool mtber "king of the watercooler" at work and just want to log on and talk about what they"need" to buy and what they're "gonna" do.Screw the training,the average speeds and the GPS, just ride like an 8 year old jacked up on pixie stix...........

Thank you for the tip. Gear questions = out of the question on this board. Good to know.

The Rose

Most any tire, save for a dedicated tire, will pack up. The Kharisma's are a dry hard pack tire, and will fall short of anything but disasterous in the mud. The knobs on the weirwolf are a bit tight for the mud, but they would probably work better than the Kharisma. I like the Nevegals for MOST conditions. I have had them in some pretty muddy conditions and the worked marginally well.

Thorp, I was replying more so to the general tenor of this statement:

I just get pipey in here cause sometimes i just seems that some people are content being the cool mtber "king of the watercooler" at work and just want to log on and talk about what they"need" to buy and what they're "gonna" do.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
jgr-
i rode the wierwolfs too, in both the 26" flavor (on heythorps SS) and in the 29er flavor (on bobw's KM). i really liked them a lot and think they would be a very good all around tire. as heythorp mentioned, flip the rear and you're all good. can't speak to their abilities in full-on slop since i've ridden both in fair conditions. if you find the magic bullet, let us know.

i'd put krawlers on the jeep though. :D j/k.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would'nt say that. I think if anything you will get a better informed opinion on this board because its local advise vs. reading the tire board on mtbr where people are putting in their 2 cents from all over the globe.

You just cant compare what some guy in AZ is riding when he thinks he has mud compared to what we ride in when we have mud.

and to comment on that, the guys in AZ think the exiwolfs are the bees knees...and i think they bring the sucketh here in conditions even close to wet.

jgr-
i rode the exiwolfs too, in both the 26" flavor (on heythorps SS) and in the 29er flavor (on bobw's KM). i really liked them a lot and think they would be a very good all around tire. as heythorp mentioned, flip the rear and you're all good. can't speak to their abilities in full-on slop since i've ridden both in fair conditions. if you find the magic bullet, let us know.

i'd put krawlers on the jeep though. :D j/k.

there were a few people from the East Coast who reviewed the wolves and said they were a good tire, same comment about mud (not shedding enough) but wanted to get a first-hand Jersey opinion on them. Glad to know they are thought of well. I think I am going to try them out.

The Jeep is getting new sneakers next year. That is an entirely different research project...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thorp, I was replying more so to the general tenor of this statement:

Oh don't worry about him. He's one run-on sentence away from falling off the edge of his chair for good.

Whoever said MTBR is west coast friendly is right. A lot of the gear reviews there don't hold over here, especially tires.

I ride CR a lot and when it's muddy I just go to RV instead. That's my tire recommendation.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
I'd never speak badly to the ladies..

...that was for the boys who sit on trainers while I'm out here in the snow in subfreezing temps.There is no off season.I think Norm called me crazy then agreed w/ my point?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
...that was for the boys who sit on trainers while I'm out here in the snow in subfreezing temps.There is no off season.I think Norm called me crazy then agreed w/ my point?

Take it easy there Tenzig. I get on the trainer before most people wake up so I can get some work in during the week. You may have noticed I'm not exactly the most lithe person on the board. Fat guys like me can't afford to take the weekdays off. I've been out both weekend days pretty much all winter. A pair of road rides this weekened, Sunday through the wind and snow. So eat it.

And yes crazy people can be right occasionally.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Norm you're the best...

..and you may be fat but I'm old.I can't wait to see how much you may/may not have improved.The trainers seem stupid to me but i don't sit at a desk all day so whatever.

Top Bottom