The Being Green Thread (Thanks Jake!)

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Drought,plaugue,ice age,asteriod,pole shift, you pick, it's coming.Just shut up and face your fate bitches.The planet is master and we all mean nothing to it.....................

D

DANSPANK

I went to the Live Earth gig at Giants Stadium yesterday. Pretty bloody wicked gig if you ask me:
Dave Matthews Band
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Alicia Keys
Bon Jovi
John Mayer
Smashing Pumpkins
The Police
Akon
Fall Out Boy
Kanye West

plus a few others. Really great gig. I didn't get my tickets until last week so only nosebleeds left but the atmosphere was fantastic. Most acts were introduced by celebrities; Cameron Diaz, guy from Scrubs, Al Gore, Leonardo di Caprio, Petra Nemvoca (tasty!). It was pretty cool to see some many great bands in one day.

The vendors used recycled materials packaging, the cups were made from corn, you were given a little wrist band if you took your cups and waste to one of the many recycling bins. Between gigs there were little green hints and tips but it wasn't rammed down your throat - pretty good, I thought.

It was interesting that a plane was flying overheard with a banner saying "Don't believe Gore - demand debate", and then a second banner saying something along the lines of there not being an issue. But whether there's global warming or not I don't think it's a bad thing to try to clean up the way you live and reduce what you throw away. The crap has to go somewhere and Staten Island's full now isn't it?

But, from a musical perspective, a damn good show!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Drought,plaugue,ice age,asteriod,pole shift, you pick, it's coming.Just shut up and face your fate bitches.The planet is master and we all mean nothing to it.....................

as usual, elloquently put brett. we're a plague on this planet, bottom line. we either clean ourselves up or we'll get eliminated. either way, time will march on.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I listened to a bit of the concert and was amazed at the stupidity of it all.People think they're the shit and have no grasp of geologic time or history it seems.Single volcanic eruptions have voided growing seasons in the US within the last few hundred years.If anything even remotely close to happens now it will be total anarchy.Don't go out of your way to destoy the environment,but also don't think we as a species are any more than a joke to the planet.Climate change is a natural cycle and only realigns life.They need to stop the "save the planet" BS and just say "save our pathetic asses" instead.

I went to the Live Earth gig at Giants Stadium yesterday. Pretty bloody wicked gig if you ask me:
Dave Matthews Band
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Alicia Keys
Bon Jovi
John Mayer
Smashing Pumpkins
The Police
Akon
Fall Out Boy
Kanye West

The vendors used recycled materials packaging, the cups were made from corn, you were given a little wrist band if you took your cups and waste to one of the many recycling bins. Between gigs there were little green hints and tips but it wasn't rammed down your throat - pretty good, I thought.

It was interesting that a plane was flying overheard with a banner saying "Don't believe Gore - demand debate", and then a second banner saying something along the lines of there not being an issue. But whether there's global warming or not I don't think it's a bad thing to try to clean up the way you live and reduce what you throw away. The crap has to go somewhere and Staten Island's full now isn't it?

Sorry Dan, I have to rain on this parade. I heard some of the broadcast on XM, and I had to think to myself that the energy used in production, the waste generated by the people in the parking lots, at concession stands, the Johnny on the Spots, the water used inside the stadium to run the toilets, the laser light, fog machines, power used to run the amplifiers, the flights to get artists to and from concert...etc. etc. etc. was so counter to the message of the day.

Nice idea, I guess. Ideology never saved anyone or anything though. This planet will keep on turning long after we are gone. Are we having an effect on global warming? Yeah, partially. Should we be doing more to reduce our production of physical and chemical wastes so soil, air, and water is cleaner? Absolutely, its just common sense to not shit where you eat. Events like this help people ameliorate their guilt by helping them pay lip-service to a cause, without having to make any real sacrifices, like their cars or bigscreen TVs, or new clothes every 2 weeks or dinners out.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry Dan, I have to rain on this parade. I heard some of the broadcast on XM, and I had to think to myself that the energy used in production, the waste generated by the people in the parking lots, at concession stands, the Johnny on the Spots, the water used inside the stadium to run the toilets, the laser light, fog machines, power used to run the amplifiers, the flights to get artists to and from concert...etc. etc. etc. was so counter to the message of the day.

Nice idea, I guess. Ideology never saved anyone or anything though. This planet will keep on turning long after we are gone. Are we having an effect on global warming? Yeah, partially. Should we be doing more to reduce our production of physical and chemical wastes so soil, air, and water is cleaner? Absolutely, its just common sense to not shit where you eat. Events like this help people ameliorate their guilt by helping them pay lip-service to a cause, without having to make any real sacrifices, like their cars or bigscreen TVs, or new clothes every 2 weeks or dinners out.

JGR-
i was at a green conference a few weeks ago and the founder of live earth was one of the keynote speakers. this exact question was raised. his response was very matter of fact: you're right, they (the organizers) are going though a lot of fossil matter to put this event on. lots of it. yes they were recycling and doing some things with the water they were buying carbon offsets but even he admitted that it wasn't enough. his hope was to raise the level of awareness though this. to get people thinking about the earth, and gloabl warming, etc. my guess is that no one is going to care until their <insert favorite thing here> is gone and most folks are like dan, not that he's doing anything wrong.

the funny, ironic and completely idiotic thing is that going green is VERY trendy in hollywood now. a lot of the big names (like the founder of live earth, for example) are spending a lot of money to make their 10,000 sq ft beverly hills homes green (can you say ironic?). and of course they've got the audacity to stand up on there currently greened pedestals and tell the rest of us schleps that we need to do the same or else doom and gloom on us! guess they don't realize that 99.8% of the population doesn't have $25K just laying around to put in solar panels. i'd like to smack their collective heads side ways.

bottom line: think globally, act locally. oh, and don't piss in the same water you need to drink. :D

D

DANSPANK

Hey JGR,
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was very "green" at all. Add to everything the helicopter taking off every 30minutes no doubt ferrying celebs between the city and the stadium, then the fact that right in the car park was the State Fair!

I was just selfishly saying that it was fantastic to see so many great bands in one day.

M

Michael

I have no doubt there is global warming. Do I think it's man made? No. The earth is cooler than it was when Jesus was born and warmer than it was 30 years ago. You can find "experts" on both sides. I've listened to both sides, including the agency that monitors the earth (NASA), and formed my opinion. I think all the energy saving ideas are great. Not that I will get rid of my three gas guzzling vehicles. I DON'T want my taxes raised like Gore would prefer. And I get the feeling he won't get rid of his gas guzzlers, either. The Live Earth concert just made me shake my head. Chris Rock said it best: "I hope Live Earth stops global warming like Live Aid stopped poverty". In 20 years, VH1 will have Remember The 2000's and have a clip on the global warming scare.

Top Bottom