The Amusement Bike Park

TimBay

Blogity blogging:

Took the "SS Townie" out for a ride on the bike path today. Was fun, but ran out of gears super quick with it being SS on flat pavement. Gonna need to up the gearing. Wanted to recon to see if there were potential ice areas for when I ride at night for BIYF. Gonna go again tonight to finish out the hour. Good times. Hope everyone has a merry Christmas.

20191223_145519_HDR.jpg

JDurk

The chainring should have a number marked on it, the cog may too. My normal mtb SS gearing is 32x18, currently has a 17t for the road and flat trails.

TimBay

The chainring should have a number marked on it, the cog may too. My normal mtb SS gearing is 32x18, currently has a 17t for the road and flat trails.
Gonna look at it tonight. Thanks for the tip. I guess cogs are cheap...don't need anything fancy since it's really just a townie bike right now. Might try harts with it eventually, but not for a while.

TimBay

It's 2am, and my wife and I just got done moving, building, and wrapping presents. I did 2 30 minute-ish road rides today. 1st was a recon mission as I intent to do this BIYF challenge. It was good.

2nd ride, I decided to draw a strava cock and then go to the best lighted house in town for my santa bonus pick. I kind of want to gun for that honzo frame. It's my size and I could ride a HT easily at harts. One thing I noticed; the bike path is great in daylight, but at night, I can't help but think the mutant rejects of leonardo motel are waiting in the bushes to stab me for my purple hubs. I know they aren't, but there were reports of issues with attacks on runners a couple years ago. So I leave it to you friends. Choose what I should do below. (Maybe someone can tell me how to set a survey). Keep in mind, due to short days, I'm going to need to mostly ride in the dark.

A. Ride the bike path. Maybe carry a knife or bat or batknife?

B. Pedal to the trail (about 2 miles hard uphill), ride the dirt and risk crashing, being left for dead through the night, and dying of hypothermia.

C. Wander on my bike around town and maybe get beer and eat shit.

Screenshot_2019-12-24-02-01-17.png

TimBay

Blog time: didn't ride but took the kids for a long hike at hartshorne. It was somewhat eventful.

1. Right at the trailhead, there was a large group of 15-20 Asian mtbers. I couldn't help but wonder, is @Paul H Book of Paul real? Instead of that church group converting him to their congregation, did he turn them into some traveling mountain ministry? He'll probably never tell.

2. While my son has done the 2.5mi laurel loop many times, I forgot that I usually carry him for a good 25% of it. I had him (5yo) and my daughter (less than 2yo) without my wife. Was just Gonna go part of the way up and turn back, but he wanted to go "really far". Well, he made it about halfway, then it was non-stop complaining for the remaining hour. I carried my daughter most of the way and she actually fell asleep while I held her for the last 40% of the walk. Dead weight. At some points toward the end I actually carried both of them. So I got a great workout in today.

3. While almost out, we passed a young teenage girl on a walgoose with NO HELMET accompanied by walking parents. What. The. Fuck. As I passed, I told the parents "be careful, these trails are dangerous." Then, without thinking "helmet". The mom was like "oh I know" . at first I thought maybe I should have minded my own business, but on the way home I though fuck that, I should have said "whoa, you cant ride here without a helmet. Turn around and put the bike back in the car." I dont care if your kid is riding around the block. But she obviously had no clue how to ride trails and the likelihood of going OTB is greater on trails than road. Plus, she breaks her neck and they take mountain biking away. I'm really kicking myself for not turning their asses around. Dumb fuck parents.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Blog time: didn't ride but took the kids for a long hike at hartshorne. It was somewhat eventful.

1. Right at the trailhead, there was a large group of 15-20 Asian mtbers. I couldn't help but wonder, is @Paul H Book of Paul real? Instead of that church group converting him to their congregation, did he turn them into some traveling mountain ministry? He'll probably never tell.

Look up Pinoy. :D

TimBay

Holy fuck, I hate riding roads. I only attempt to ride them at knight, and the bike path sketches me out because every sound makes me think some dope head is gonna stab me or some shit. I don't even GAF about cars, I just have no feeling of fun on pavement. I bet if I even road on peoples lawns, I would feel better riding. There's something about dirt that makes me so happy. Hiking with the kids, I was scanning the trails thinking of what I could possibly hop n pop. Maybe one of you roadies could inspire me about what makes riding on a road less depressing? It just doesn't feel the same at all.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I think your doing something wrong. Either that or I am. I have a harder time conversing on road than in the woods.....?
You are prolly doing it right in terms of training and improving.
I only go 12mph? on avg on the road and prolly less than that when riding with others.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe one of you roadies could inspire me about what makes riding on a road less depressing?

I'm not a roadie, and I don't like riding on roads either, but I do it sometimes and don't mind. I will very, very rarely go out for a ride where I only ride the road, but when the weather is nice I'll sometimes ride from my house to the trails which involves some road. I also sometimes ride the roads to get from one park to another nearby park. Something that I think makes riding the road interesting is trying to find the best/shortest route from one place to another, so that I spend the least amount of time on the road as I can. I also look for places where I can cut through little town parks, schools, parking lots, corporate complexes, random little patches of woods, railroad tracks, etc. It keeps it interesting for me.

TimBay

Nope Nope Nope. 35 degrees and above until I obtain some better winter gear. What do you guys use to keep your toes from freezing?

I set out to do like 15-20 miles today. Nope. Nothing a out this ride was enjoyable. 2 minutes in, realized I forgot to bolt one of my grips after messing with the cockpit this week. Now I realize me feet and hands are freezing. 10 minutes later, after using my dropper flawlessly, it decides to shit up and not stay up. Ugh, fiddle with it and keep riding. Then, I mess up a climb, start pedalling again and my bottle falls out and distracted I tip over in the clips. I say, ok universe and head back, hoping to find some stoke to decide to pass the lot and ride Hart's...no such luck as my toes were hurting at that point. Fucking winter.

qclabrat

Nope Nope Nope. 35 degrees and above until I obtain some better winter gear. What do you guys use to keep your toes from freezing?

I set out to do like 15-20 miles today. Nope. Nothing a out this ride was enjoyable. 2 minutes in, realized I forgot to bolt one of my grips after messing with the cockpit this week. Now I realize me feet and hands are freezing. 10 minutes later, after using my dropper flawlessly, it decides to shit up and not stay up. Ugh, fiddle with it and keep riding. Then, I mess up a climb, start pedalling again and my bottle falls out and distracted I tip over in the clips. I say, ok universe and head back, hoping to find some stoke to decide to pass the lot and ride Hart's...no such luck as my toes were hurting at that point. Fucking winter.
Which shoes are you wearing

Top Bottom