The Amusement Bike Park

TimBay

I was wondering the same thing. Seriously I think he will be fine. @TimBay and I rode yesterday and he was not in a rush. Seems like he has a good plan and patience. I know I get into trouble when I try and rush something rather than take my time and pay attention to the details.
Yeah. I figured I'd want to ride today or tomorrow too. Decided it didn't make sense to just do the chainring last night.

Reactions: Tim

qclabrat

Kid doesn't want a fancy first electric, so I'm considering the following.
- Fender Strat MIM
- Squier Vintage Modified
- Yamaha Pacifica
- Squier Classic Vibe
- PRS SE

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
- Fender Strat MIM
- Yamaha Pacifica
- Squier Classic Vibe
- PRS SE
Yamaha Pacifica to PRS SE is a bit of a jump.
But anyways.... you're in luck then because Yamaha Pacifica is under $200

Wait a damn minute... are you making this up so you can buy that Fox SC? :oops:
How convenient that a Yamaha is $200 and that fork is $600.... $800.... your initial budget.... hmmm

TimBay

- Fender Strat MIM
- Yamaha Pacifica
- Squier Classic Vibe
- PRS SE
I'd vote prs or mim. If she wants something funky those squires can be good. No matter what, get a pro setup. If buying from shop demand it as part of purchase

qclabrat

Don't want a 100mm fork. 120mm seems right for the 429. Thinking the PAC500 series. Though I've heard the 112v is amongst the best for a student

TimBay

Don't want a 100mm fork. 120mm seems right for the 429. Thinking the PAC500 series. Though I've heard the 112v is amongst the best for a student
I dont know much about yamaha, but going big brand can be better. You can also check out Eastwood guitars. They make cool vintage inspired guitars and I dont think they're too expensive.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@qclabrat
I know you are trying to surprise your daughter with this as a gift but you really should take her to guitar center or something and have her try some.
The neck profile can be different from one guitar to another. Fender and Gibson has that traditional neck where its round and rather thick. Ibanez for example is flat and thin. If she has small hands, the Ibanez wizard type neck could be more comfortable for her.

qclabrat

@qclabrat
I know you are trying to surprise your daughter with this as a gift but you really should take her to guitar center or something and have her try some.
The neck profile can be different from one guitar to another. Fender and Gibson has that traditional neck where its round and rather thick. Ibanez for example is flat and thin. If she has small hands, the Ibanez wizard type neck could be more comfortable for her.
Yeah, I'm going to take to Guitar Center or Sam Ash this weekend

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yeah, I'm going to take to Guitar Center or Sam Ash this weekend
Make sure you haggle with the sales person... they love it!
May not be a discount.... but could get a free set of strings or a gig bag.... or something :)

If you go to Sam Ash.... have her play Stairways to Heaven really loud!
((There used to be a sign at Sam Ash in Forest HIll, Queens which banned Stairways to Heaven being played.. this was way before Wayne's World))

TimBay

Make sure you haggle with the sales person... they love it!
May not be a discount.... but could get a free set of strings or a gig bag.... or something :)

If you go to Sam Ash.... have her play Stairways to Heaven really loud!
((There used to be a sign at Sam Ash in Forest HIll, Queens which banned Stairways to Heaven being played))
How many "stairways" to heaven are there?

You can also have them plug in a tuner and do a quick intonation check by check ing each strings tuning at open and 12th fret. If 12th is off, that's a sign that it needs a Setup with intonation done. And last pro tip, look at the neck where it's on the body. It should be nice and straight. A lot of times with mim and stuff like that, they're off and a quick shim with scrap thin packaging cardboard or plastic under the neck can straighten it out and make it play better. (Pro tech friend of mine gave me that one)

Ok one more, make sure she/ you play pretty much every fret on every string and listen for any buzzing. Another sign of setup needs. They just pull these things out, give a half assed tune and throw it on the shelves.

End rant

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
How many "stairways" to heaven are there?
Capture.JPG

TimBay

wut up? need them tools?
Appreciate the offer, but just decided to buy my own so I don't have to rely on the kindness and generosity of others. Planning to knock it out tomorrow night and ride it on Saturday. Hoping I don't fuck it up.

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom