The Amusement Bike Park

jklett

I mean, look at the totals tho. It isn't really spending money. But aside from the fork, it would be a better build.
I just looked a little further into it, the Marzocchi they're using supposedly has the grip damper so the only difference there is the stickers.

I'm revising my opinion a little. Go with the cheaper one and throw better brakes on it and there doesn't seem to be much difference at that point between the two. Sure SLX is a little higher end than SX but you could go shifter/derailleur with the sram and be ahead for short money. Frame, shock, fork, and wheels are the biggest ticket items and on those 2 bikes they're essentially the same(slightly better hubs on the pricier one but you said you wanted to upgrade the wheels anyways).

Or just get either one and ride it as is for a while and decide later what to change. Specs don't mean shit, it's all how it performs for you.You're not going to be disappointed with either bike.

mtbiker87

So here's my take. A better wheelset is the best upgrade you'll do. So plus one for the lower build theory. Both forks have the fox grip damper so other than a being a bit heavier, I would consider the Marzocci more of a sideways slide, than a down grade from the rhythm. So plus two for the lower level/better wheelset theory.

Now for the minuses though. The lower model has really low level brakes. SX is such a low level kit, with a bit of a sub par reputation, you won't really be a resale value to try and recoup some of your costs.

Looks like me and Jay were thinking pretty much the same thing at pretty much the same time.

Last edited:

BPaze

SRAM SX uses the HG freehub body as @mtbiker said so upgrading wheels you will need a new cassette because it would make sense to get wheels with the XD freehub body. As far as SRAM brakes go they use DOT and are bled different than shimano which I just assume you have so keep that in mind. The Marzochi forks are supposed to be a great deal.

My brother just picked up a Timberjack with SLX and it is a nice drivetrain if I hadn't gone all in on Eagle I would consider going with SLX great price but who wants to replace all the freehub bodies again.

When is this purchase happening?

RobW

My only argument is that 2100 isnt much more than an AL frame. So what's the difference in buying a complete and building up a few of the lacking parts vs building up from just a frame? I'm leaning toward the better build, but I'm drawn to the way better wheelset vs the slightly better fork for around the same price.

Also in consideration: Orbea Occam, SC Tallboy Al R, Kona Process 134, Salsa Horsethief, Ibis Ripley (budget stretcher). I did feel a good connection with the Trance at MTB Fest last year, which is why I'm heavily leaning that direction.
I’m partial to shimano on MTB and SLX is better imo than guides(warranty replacement/plastic internals). Also, while the wheels are a big upgrade, you’ll be pissed how the bike handles with that fork.

Btw, kona bikes are fun, playful and usually have good builds, my next bike will be a Hei Hei if I ever go down that road but for now, with the amount I ride, I’ll be riding the hell out of my honzo.

TimBay

I'm pretty sure the giant site is wrong on the damper. I think the bomber has their Rail damper. Still, it's gotten great reviews. Yeah, depending on what I spend on the wheels, I might go xd and new cassette. Although if I go new driver/cassette, I might go SLX instead of GX.

TimBay

I’m partial to shimano on MTB and SLX is better imo than guides(warranty replacement/plastic internals). Also, while the wheels are a big upgrade, you’ll be pissed how the bike handles with that fork.

Btw, kona bikes are fun, playful and usually have good builds, my next bike will be a Hei Hei if I ever go down that road but for now, with the amount I ride, I’ll be riding the hell out of my honzo.
I'd probably go with the mt520 if buying new. The reviews have been pretty great on them. The fork is the biggest question mark. The rhythm actually uses the same 6 series aluminum, so the weight difference is just in the damper. I think the fox is def better, but how much better is the question?

RobW

I'd probably go with the mt520 if buying new. The reviews have been pretty great on them. The fork is the biggest question mark. The rhythm actually uses the same 6 series aluminum, so the weight difference is just in the damper. I think the fox is def better, but how much better is the question?
You can get a set of XT brakes for pretty cheap. I’d go that route. Just make sure if you go shimano route, stay shimano for drivetrain.. having a problem solver bracket for shifter feels out of the ordinary and just another thing to worry about. If staying route 1- upgrade everything to XT for cheaper then look for used fox 32 forks and be done with worrying. But if it was my money and peace of mind- route 2 and ride it until you need parts or can squirrel some money aside and keep enjoying this bike as a solid build. To be completely honest with you, I have deore brakes and wtb i23 rims on XT hubs... I won’t be upgrading until my ride time increases more than 2 times a week because I look at it as money sitting in the garage- kinda like a specialty car. Yeah everyone knows you have it but you never drive it..

TimBay

I just looked a little further into it, the Marzocchi they're using supposedly has the grip damper so the only difference there is the stickers.

I'm revising my opinion a little. Go with the cheaper one and throw better brakes on it and there doesn't seem to be much difference at that point between the two. Sure SLX is a little higher end than SX but you could go shifter/derailleur with the sram and be ahead for short money. Frame, shock, fork, and wheels are the biggest ticket items and on those 2 bikes they're essentially the same(slightly better hubs on the pricier one but you said you wanted to upgrade the wheels anyways).

Or just get either one and ride it as is for a while and decide later what to change. Specs don't mean shit, it's all how it performs for you.You're not going to be disappointed with either bike.
I was thinking of going brakes right off the bat and feeling out the rest. I've heard the SX isn't very consistent, so that'll likely go quick. Was Possibly thinking Hunt Wheels. They seem to get pretty great reviews and are pretty light.

RobW

I was thinking of going brakes right off the bat and feeling out the rest. I've heard the SX isn't very consistent, so that'll likely go quick. Was Possibly thinking Hunt Wheels. They seem to get pretty great reviews and are pretty light.
I have hunt wheels on my gravel bike. I rip some singletrack on them without a blink and they are pretty responsive.

TimBay

SRAM SX uses the HG freehub body as @mtbiker said so upgrading wheels you will need a new cassette because it would make sense to get wheels with the XD freehub body. As far as SRAM brakes go they use DOT and are bled different than shimano which I just assume you have so keep that in mind. The Marzochi forks are supposed to be a great deal.

My brother just picked up a Timberjack with SLX and it is a nice drivetrain if I hadn't gone all in on Eagle I would consider going with SLX great price but who wants to replace all the freehub bodies again.

When is this purchase happening?
Hoping for next week. Gotta see how long it would take to get one though.

mtbiker87

Lol..@BPaze read my post before I edited it. I had a whole paragraph about SX being HG freehub until i remember the new wheel set idea! He can get any damn freehub he wants, so the point was moot. Personally, I'd get an HG freehub and go shimano XT 11spd with the 46t cassette.That has been pretty bulletproof on my Knolly, and would be cheaper than either microspline/12 spd or XD/Eagle. I only went Sram on the Cotic so I could swap wheelsets between it,and the Gnarzan. And even then I stuck with 11spd.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So the differences between your two bikes/upgrades come down to personal preference between SRAM vs Shimano, etc... To the best of my knowledge the Marzochi and Fox Rythym are essentially the same fork. From what I hear SX is pretty, uh.....not great. If you are getting new wheels right off the bat then it's a moot point. You can put whatever freehub and drivetrain on it that you want.

If you can live with the wheels on the more expensive bike then I would go that route. Ride it and upgrade as things wear out.

If you can't live with the wheels on the more expensive bike then definitely go with the cheap bike and swap out the parts to get it how you want it.

TimBay

So the differences between your two bikes/upgrades come down to personal preference between SRAM vs Shimano, etc... To the best of my knowledge the Marzochi and Fox Rythym are essentially the same fork. From what I hear SX is pretty, uh.....not great. If you are getting new wheels right off the bat then it's a moot point. You can put whatever freehub and drivetrain on it that you want.

If you can live with the wheels on the more expensive bike then I would go that route. Ride it and upgrade as things wear out.

If you can't live with the wheels on the more expensive bike then definitely go with the cheap bike and swap out the parts to get it how you want it.
Damn. I could go xt der/shifter/cassette for around 300. XT brakes for 350. Hunt Wheels for under 500. Putting the cheap build at 3250. Still the better build would be simpler. Meh. We'll see.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Damn. I could go xt der/shifter/cassette for around 300. XT brakes for 350. Hunt Wheels for under 500. Putting the cheap build at 3250. Still the better build would be simpler. Meh. We'll see.

Honestly, the more expensive bike already has 12 speed SLX. The brakes and wheels will be fine. I'd go that route and upgrade the brakes later on down the road if you really need to. Same goes for the wheels. Just buy it, ride it, and don't worry about it.

RobW

Honestly, the more expensive bike already has 12 speed SLX. The brakes and wheels will be fine. I'd go that route and upgrade the brakes later on down the road if you really need to. Same goes for the wheels. Just buy it, ride it, and don't worry about it.
ill take the slx brakes for pennies on the dollar ;) better than Deore

TimBay

I'm leaning this route pretty hard. Set it and forget it. Hell, I could grab the hunt wheels and still be within my general budget.

mtbiker87

I'm leaning this route pretty hard. Set it and forget it. Hell, I could grab the hunt wheels and still be within my general budget.
If you'd rather get to it sooner than later, it's the better choice. You have to be realistic about how much free time you have for playing the remove and replace game, as well as making sure you have all the tools needed as well.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Yeah. I can overthink stuff like no other. I've learned over time that there is a lot to be said for just getting the best you can and then putting it out of your mind other than to enjoy it. It's too stressful constantly thinking about all the little things that really don't matter a whole lot.

There are always lot of people on nicer bikes. There's also lot's of people on pretty terrible bikes. We all have fun riding them around in the woods like little kids.?

Top Bottom