The Amusement Bike Park

Question: I picked up a used oval ring, going up to 32 from 30. I have my original 2 extra links from my chain but have put like 60 miles on that chain and am not the best at cleaning it. Any issue with adding these links, or fire/new chain?

Question: I picked up a used oval ring, going up to 32 from 30. I have my original 2 extra links from my chain but have put like 60 miles on that chain and am not the best at cleaning it. Any issue with adding these links, or fire/new chain?
Whats the worst that can happen?
I've done it all the time on 10 Spd drivetrains and had no issues.

Whats the worst that can happen?
I've done it all the time on 10 Spd drivetrains and had no issues.
That's kinda what I figured, but thought I'd ask. Excited to give oval a try, though ive heard you feel it more when you switch back to round more so than switching to the oval

If you have a longer stretch of spare chain I would use that after removing the excess links from the chain. The further apart chain joins are the better. Are you using a quick link?

If you have a longer stretch of spare chain I would use that after removing the excess links from the chain. The further apart chain joins are the better. Are you using a quick link?
Yeah, quick link. I dont really have a spare chain. Threw the old one on my kid's bike (long story)

Which Trance:

The 3 $2100: marzocchi fork (stock), uupgrade wheels (maybe i9 101) 750, @Paul H guides 150 (probably less), GX Der/shifter ~350. Total 3350

The 2 $2900 (stock): fox rhythm, slx 12 spd, decent brakes, stock wheels.

Keeping resale out of the equation since I'm not in a position to be buying bikes all the time, what do you all think? Cheaper stock with better upgrades, or better stock?

I vote option 2. Ride it till it blows up... replace parts as you go Because you know there will be a good deal eventually.
This 100%. Don't buy a new bike that you're looking to upgrade before it's even in your garage(unless spending money's your thing).

Personally... I love spending other ppls money.
Trance Advanced Pro 2 for $4500? is carbon frame and wheels? This is it if you want a Trance.

This 100%. Don't buy a new bike that you're looking to upgrade before it's even in your garage(unless spending money's your thing).
I mean, look at the totals tho. It isn't really spending money. But aside from the fork, it would be a better build.

Personally... I love spending other ppls money.
Trance Advanced Pro 2 for $4500? is carbon frame and wheels? This is it if you want a Trance.
I can't go that high. Maybe if I can find a '19 for 4k, then it'd be worth it.

I vote option 2. Ride it till it blows up... replace parts as you go Because you know there will be a good deal eventually.
My only argument is that 2100 isnt much more than an AL frame. So what's the difference in buying a complete and building up a few of the lacking parts vs building up from just a frame? I'm leaning toward the better build, but I'm drawn to the way better wheelset vs the slightly better fork for around the same price.

Also in consideration: Orbea Occam, SC Tallboy Al R, Kona Process 134, Salsa Horsethief, Ibis Ripley (budget stretcher). I did feel a good connection with the Trance at MTB Fest last year, which is why I'm heavily leaning that direction.

Back
Top Bottom