The Amusement Bike Park

i have a set of the older I9s, coasting the drag is definitely noticable compared to my stans or bontrager hubs, but no it wont completely kill your ride.

I would love to try out a set of hydra hubs, and a set of onyx hubs (bc sprag clutch ?)

I had figured I could just upgrade to GX, which can be done relatively cheap.
GX Eagle cassette alone is around $200. I am peasant so... not cheap by my standards which is why I clean and lube my chain after every ride.

What about BB and Cranks? I don't know much about those except that PF can creak a bunch. Should I avoid PF?
My RDO is PF and it creaked like crazy and I thought it was the BB but when I took it apart the crank and re-greased it, it was fine. So I guess in my case, it wasn't the PF BB that was creaking. But threaded BB is less costly to maintain? I guess you can hack a press fit tool if you want. But if you end up with a carbon frame... not sure if you want to mess around with that. I had the RDO PF BB installed at the LBS.

GX Eagle cassette alone is around $200. I am peasant so... not cheap by my standards which is why I clean and lube my chain after every ride.

My RDO is PF and it creaked like crazy and I thought it was the BB but when I took it apart the crank and re-greased it, it was fine. So I guess in my case, it wasn't the PF BB that was creaking. But threaded BB is less costly to maintain? I guess you can hack a press fit tool if you want. But if you end up with a carbon frame... not sure if you want to mess around with that. I had the RDO PF BB installed at the LBS.
I guess this sunrace cassette is just heavy? $290 for the GX group.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...MIn8HKh7Px4wIVkZ-fCh2o9AuzEAQYAiABEgLtavD_BwE

I think its about a 100g difference between the 2
Looks like sunrace does make a lighter cassete than the gx even. Hmm. Things to consider. I definitely dont want to dump a lot of extra money into a new bike

Looks like sunrace does make a lighter cassete than the gx even. Hmm. Things to consider. I definitely dont want to dump a lot of extra money into a new bike
I am speaking with no experience here but from what I heard is that the Eagle is rather finicky. If true... not sure I would want to put in an outside component in the mix.

iv had no issues with the eagle stuff, but i run a matched setup so outside/non OEM components are not covered here

See, this is why I ask questions. I know a bit about the different forks and drivetrains, but not a whole lot. I didn't realize NX wasn't on the XD driver, which makes me think more now because I had figured I could just upgrade to GX, which can be done relatively cheap.

What about BB and Cranks? I don't know much about those except that PF can creak a bunch. Should I avoid PF? Just trying to figure out what I should stay away from vs what I can upgrade later. Just things I should consider while window shopping and figuring out the eventual purchase. Basically trying to make sure I buy a bike I'll dig for many many years.

I wouldn't shy away from a bike due to the BB. I have a press fit on my YT and it's fine. It did creak not long after I got it but that was the shitty Raceface bottom bracket not the fact that it was press fit. I installed a new Hope BB and it has been fine/silent for the last 2,231 miles. I have a threaded BB on my very first big box bike and that has creaked, too. If they creak you take them apart and re-install them correctly and they should be fine.

Which i9 hubs do you have? Really interested in the Hydra because.....690 points of engagement.

I've got the Torch hubs. Only 120 POE for me.

i have a set of the older I9s, coasting the drag is definitely noticable compared to my stans or bontrager hubs, but no it wont completely kill your ride.

I would love to try out a set of hydra hubs, and a set of onyx hubs (bc sprag clutch ?)

I think all of this talk about drag is silly. I'm not saying there isn't more drag in a high engagement hub I just think at some point we are worrying about things that don't matter very much.

The Onyx hubs are interesting. Aren't they crazy heavy, though? I actually think a silent hub would be pretty awesome.

I wouldn't shy away from a bike due to the BB. I have a press fit on my YT and it's fine. It did creak not long after I got it but that was the shitty Raceface bottom bracket not the fact that it was press fit. I installed a new Hope BB and it has been fine/silent for the last 2,231 miles. I have a threaded BB on my very first big box bike and that has creaked, too. If they creak you take them apart and re-install them correctly and they should be fine.

I've got the Torch hubs. Only 120 POE for me.

I think all of this talk about drag is silly. I'm not saying there isn't more drag in a high engagement hub I just think at some point we are worrying about things that don't matter very much.

The Onyx hubs are interesting. Aren't they crazy heavy, though? I actually think a silent hub would be pretty awesome.
Onyx came out with a new lighter hub very recently but yes they are still much heavier than some of the other hubs. These would probably still go on my dream build wheels though.

Reactions: Tim
Onyx came out with a new lighter hub very recently but yes they are still much heavier than some of the other hubs. These would probably still go on my dream build wheels though.
Got my XT hubs yesterday and they are heavy....

I agree... I was just passing on info
When downhilling on a MTB, unless you are beast, you will be riding the brakes to some degree anyways so it really doesn't matter much. And if you are a beast... you can pedal on the downhill to lessen the drag lol

XT M765 is listed at 435g
Well then better get you some Onyx to shave that weight and improve engagement, but comparing it to the I9 Hydra's at 286g it is kinda heavy. In all honesty I don't care about the weight of anything nor would I most likely ever buy a hub that costs $500+ or a wheelset that costs $1,500+.

Back
Top Bottom