This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Cassinonorth

Most important testing metric. Looking good!

View attachment 157286

What is that?

rvv9m94kupx61.jpg

Charts starting to get a little scary. Hope people keep getting vaccines.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
My favorite with the warranty or social security card comprised calls is I just stay on the line and mess with them. Actually got cursed out in an Indian accent. Also haven't gotten a call in months since that happened.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
A Tale of Compromise?

yesterday i was treated to an explanation of why drs wear surgical masks - to keep
from expelling their germs into their work. OK, good.

Then the why we don't need to wear them

I was told that the virus goes right through the mask.
i agreed, the virus is small enough to go through the mask, it isn't going to stop an instance of the virus.
and probably not a super fine mist containing "more than 1" - esp pulling up a neck buff.
i countered with the usual real mask, large droplets, viral load, and velocity.
Then went into the zero vs non-zero.
and it is probabilistic, not yes/no

He countered with another anti-mask.
Hypoxia. It is blocking O2. and the wearer could suffer permanent brain damage.
OK - i realize some people feel stifled with a mask on, and maybe the warmer temp of the air is annoying.
Some compromised people may not have the strength to draw a breath through a mask - i guess?
I'm thinking those are the people that should isolate themselves - cause they aren't surviving if they get it.
But it isn't stopping O2 -

I then compromised - he can't have it both ways - virus goes through mask, O2 can't.
after all, O2 is smaller than a virus - he countered with no it isn't.
I made a face.

He got covid about 6 weeks ago - knocked him on his ass for a month. And he is absolutely sure he got it from someone that was vaccinated and wearing a mask.
it is the only possible explanation, those were the only people he was around. Aside from his wife and two kids, and customers, and it couldn't be
them. And it couldn't be something he touched. It had to be a vaccinated mask wearer.
I pointed out that it is exactly what he predicted would happen before catching it, other than it wasn't going to be a big deal
because of the malaria meds, which he insisted on getting. claim: it would have been worse without it.
ok.....

Anyway, the claim: he has t-cell immunity, and he has never had the flu before, which is why it is so bad.
OK - this sounds suspect. It would make a great study. Certainly he's caught a cold before, but
i dunno, corona, rhino, influenza - i just like math and probability. get the data, we'll see if it correlates.
(actually, we'll have @jmanic see if it does)

Which then lead to the vaccine does nothing to stop the variants, but actually catching it (or i guess the flu) does.
So attenuated virus is the only way - wait, isn't that the problem with the yearly flu shot ? unexpected variant?

This lead to the anti-vax thing. Claim: polio, mumps, measles, rubella, were all on the decline anyway, when the vaccine was mandated
so the pharma can make $$$. I mentioned that only people that are not vaccinated get these things now.
Counter was we all get chicken pox. (well, used to) - you want to compare itching, to possible paralysis?
(go read about polio - it will sound familiar) - yes, i know adults getting shingles and there may be a connection to stroke and some neurological stuff....
but there is a vaccine to reduce the risk for that too!

Anyway, it was interesting.

rick81721

Lothar
A Tale of Compromise?

yesterday i was treated to an explanation of why drs wear surgical masks - to keep

i agreed, the virus is small enough to go through the mask, it isn't going to stop an instance of the virus.
and probably not a super fine mist containing "more than 1" - esp pulling up a neck buff.

OK - i realize some people feel stifled with a mask on, and maybe the warmer temp of the air is annoying.
Some compromised people may not have the strength to draw a breath through a mask - i guess?
I'm thinking those are the people that should isolate themselves - cause they aren't surviving if they get it.

I then compromised - he can't have it both ways - virus goes through mask, O2 can't.
I made a face.

He got covid about 6 weeks ago - knocked him on his ass for a month. And he is absolutely sure he got it from someone that was vaccinated and wearing a mask.
it is the only possible explanation, those were the only people he was around. Aside from his wife and two kids, and customers, and it couldn't be
them. And it couldn't be something he touched. It had to be a vaccinated mask wearer.
I pointed out that it is exactly what he predicted would happen before catching it, other than it wasn't going to be a big deal
because of the malaria meds, which he insisted on getting. claim: it would have been worse without it.
ok.....

Anyway, the claim: he has t-cell immunity, and he has never had the flu before, which is why it is so bad.
OK - this sounds suspect. It would make a great study. Certainly he's caught a cold before, but
i dunno, corona, rhino, influenza - i just like math and probability. get the data, we'll see if it correlates.

Which then lead to the vaccine does nothing to stop the variants, but actually catching it (or i guess the flu) does.
So attenuated virus is the only way - wait, isn't that the problem with the yearly flu shot ? unexpected variant?

This lead to the anti-vax thing. Claim: polio, mumps, measles, rubella, were all on the decline anyway, when the vaccine was mandated
so the pharma can make $$$. I mentioned that only people that are not vaccinated get these things now.
Counter was we all get chicken pox. (well, used to) - you want to compare itching, to possible paralysis?
(go read about polio - it will sound familiar) - yes, i know adults getting shingles and there may be a connection to stroke and some neurological stuff....

Old Man @thegock ?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
A Tale of Compromise?

I made a face.

ok.....

So I am a science guy. I’m all for the vaccine. I can play along with wearing a mask, etc, even though my opinion is that they probably don’t do a lot to stop the virus and the negative effects of long term wear are not good. I think those negative effects are psycological in nature, though. Like you said, can’t have it both ways.

I just can’t wrap my head around the anti-vax mentality. Or how someone can claim a mask doesn’t block the virus but does block o2. I guess a lot of people think the Earth is flat, too.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

JPark

they are photochromatic old man gradient bi-focals. (or whatever the ones without the line are called.)
Who makes those sunglasses? I was never able to find photochromatic lenses in a bifocal so I can read my bike computer.

serviceguy

they are photochromatic old man gradient bi-focals. (or whatever the ones without the line are called.)
Transition + Progressive = $$$

Who makes those sunglasses? I was never able to find photochromatic lenses in a bifocal so I can read my bike computer.
Any optician will be happy to sell you glasses with transition and progressive lenses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom