This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
What is the point of that statement?

our recovery rate (fewer new cases - absolute and normalized ) isn't explained by a 4% win in vax rate.
also, it is warmer in florida, so the "winter" thing should have been over sooner.
that leaves the willingness to wear a mask, and the Gov holding off on opening things up,
as major contributors to (or in florida's case, hindered) the improvement.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
and still wearing masks. As opposed to Florida.
Absolutely zero scientific proof that a simple cloth covering does anything. A properly fitted N95, maybe, but the shit everyone is passing off as a "mask"? No way. If anything, the act of keeping people away from each other over the past year and limiting contact is what made a difference, but wearing a bandana around your face? Nope.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is all such wild ass speculation and straw arguments it's not worth discussing.

Roughly 2 weeks ago NPR said that NJ was pretty much the worst in the country in terms of everything. The last week we have dropped like a brick. I would suggest that my WAG of vaccinations plus infection saturation is as valid an explanation as any.

Reactions: don

MMuller

Absolutely zero scientific proof that a simple cloth covering does anything. A properly fitted N95, maybe, but the shit everyone is passing off as a "mask"? No way. If anything, the act of keeping people away from each other over the past year and limiting contact is what made a difference, but wearing a bandana around your face? Nope.
Silly me misread when they announced bandanas were acceptable masks.banana protection.jpg

thegock

@SNOWFAK3 says: “FLA new cases are 40% higher than the national average? Well FL's population is 325% higher than the national average - do the math!”

http://worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida

This is the site that we used for the data^^^^

FLA 7DMA new cases is 4,483
US 7DMA new cases is 50,251

FLA population is about 21.478 MM
The US population is about 328.2 MM.

FLA new cases per million is 208.73
US new cases per million is 153.11

208.73/153.11 = 1.363 or 36.3% higher, but you can give me your alternative math, if you want to show your work?

ebarker9

NJ also has the highest population density in the country and has a ton of people coming and going from NYC which was hit incredibly hard early in the pandemic. I think it's generally impossible to equate a specific COVID state level directive to an outcome, so I'm not going to even bother with any of the comparisons, but I have to believe that those two factors are big contributors.

rick81721

Lothar
look, the hook is in deep, i got a 8' 300# wire leader -
line isn't going to snap. just gotta land it, tag it, and throw it back.

Ha but Pat's expertise whilst fishing in this thread is catching his own ass - results in much hilarity, however!

Look, it's Patrick! 🤣

xbaesd76ujwz.jpg

Cassinonorth

@SNOWFAK3 says: “FLA new cases are 40% higher than the national average? Well FL's population is 325% higher than the national average - do the math!”

http://worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida

This is the site that we used for the data^^^^

FLA 7DMA new cases is 4,483
US 7DMA new cases is 50,251

FLA population is about 21.478 MM
The US population is about 328.2 MM.

FLA new cases per million is 208.73
US new cases per million is 153.11

208.73/153.11 = 1.363 or 36.3% higher, but you can give me your alternative math, if you want to show your work?

If Florida's numbers are higher it's because they're testing more than any other state. If Florida's numbers are down it's because they figured out what the rest of the world didn't first and are ahead of the curve on anything.

Simple, really.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
loud-noises.jpg

Patrick

Staff member

so you claim zero?
i claim not zero.

which statement is more likely correct?

and i'm willing to wear a mask for whatever that percentage is.

minimally, my mask kept me from spitting on stuff.

yes - staying away from each other was the larger factor, cause if i'm 100yds away without a mask, it has to be some bad luck...not to mention in my house
watching disney+ and buying crypto.

This is all such wild ass speculation and straw arguments it's not worth discussing.

Roughly 2 weeks ago NPR said that NJ was pretty much the worst in the country in terms of everything. The last week we have dropped like a brick. I would suggest that my WAG of vaccinations plus infection saturation is as valid an explanation as any.

fair.
revisit in two weeks to see if florida's new cases slow like NJ.
the difference in 11 and 10 % of the population in NJ and FL doesn't do it
if we had the demographic data, we might see the explanation

Especially when it's not true. SG says fully vaccinated no longer have to wear masks or social distance. Most people are still wearing masks.

sure, and since gov says the counties in the worst shape can't keep their own restrictions, then who it checking vax cards?
kinda should error on the conservative side.

I really have no problem with people making their own informed decision as long as they respect others.
ie - school has a mask policy, we are outside and vaccinated. we wear a mask.

one more thing

since it isn't going away, what is the daily pos rate that is acceptable?
if Israel has a population of 9MM and seeing under 1,000/wk, with 10ish deaths, it is now below the flu level ?? (i eyeballed worldometers, so its ROM)
is that the a reasonable target? result?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
so you claim zero?
i claim not zero.

which statement is more likely correct?
You think a cloth covering is going to keep you from spewing covid all over everything in front of you if you cough or sneeze? Right. And if you were infected and sick with flu, Covid, whatever, you think your hands, cloths, etc. aren’t covered from touching your face 5000x a day? Sure, I’m not saying don’t follow the rules, but face coverings are doing very little.

Patrick

Staff member
You think a cloth covering is going to keep you from spewing covid all over everything in front of you if you cough or sneeze? Right. And if you were infected and sick with flu, Covid, whatever, you think your hands, cloths, etc. aren’t covered from touching your face 5000x a day? Sure, I’m not saying don’t follow the rules, but face coverings are doing very little.
So not zero?

And the math is exponential.

I still go with the elbow if I cough even with the mask. Let's just limit to breathing while infected using the primary contra measure

I'm only claiming it is one factor that contributes. So you are putting hand sanitizing back on the table ? I'm a bit lazy there, but aware and minimized touching stuff. Behavior change to using phone to pay for stuff rather than pulling out cc
And shopping using app.

If I try to put a wrapper on my opinion it is that it is too early to abandon the portfolio of measures we have to drive the numbers down to their future "level" as mentioned above.

I chose two weeks to see if Florida turns because the decisions now are two week's out numbers. We will see

Top Bottom