This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Tim

aka sptimmy43
My half assed analysis is that people are afraid of needles and just make up dumb excuses to avoid them.
I think that sentiment is way more prevalent than it seems. Now that the vaccine is readily available I am seeing a couple people at work finally admit its the needle that is the problem.

It also seems the desire to get vaccinated is directly correlated with age. I think young people see the possible side effects of the vaccine as worse than possibly getting Covid.

Also, @rick81721 is correct about the negative press surrounding the J&J vaccine. I have heard a couple people say that turned them off to getting a shot which is really unfortunate.

rick81721

Lothar
I think that sentiment is way more prevalent than it seems. Now that the vaccine is readily available I am seeing a couple people at work finally admit its the needle that is the problem.

Is fear of needles really a thing? Especially the tiny thin needle used for vaccines? I find that hard to believe but who knows.
Also, @rick81721 is correct about the negative press surrounding the J&J vaccine. I have heard a couple people say that turned them off to getting a shot which is really unfortunate.

Daily vaccines administered in the US continues to drop from the high of 1/100 of the population on the day J&J was paused. Now almost at 0.6/100 (40% decline) and no signs of the decline even slowing down. Idiotic decision.

20210505_073442.png

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Is fear of needles really a thing? Especially the tiny thin needle used for vaccines? I find that hard to believe but who knows.

Daily vaccines administered in the US continues to drop from the high of 1/100 of the population on the day J&J was paused. Now almost at 0.6/100 (40% decline) and no signs of the decline even slowing down. Idiotic decision.

View attachment 157133
I will raise my hand about issues with needles. I’m terrible with them. Blood pressure drops, get all sweaty, I’m not a good patient. Worse is when I give blood. I’ve dropped once. I now warn phlebotomists. I blame it on a bunch of medical crap I went through as a kid and it gave me a hang up.

rick81721

Lothar
I will raise my hand about issues with needles. I’m terrible with them. Blood pressure drops, get all sweaty, I’m not a good patient. Worse is when I give blood. I’ve dropped once. I now warn phlebotomists. I blame it on a bunch of medical crap I went through as a kid and it gave me a hang up.

Ha the blood donation needles are the biggest - I've gotten sweaty and lightheaded a few times but not from the initial needle stick - after getting drained a pint!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yes absolutely. I work directly with 9 other people in my group, and of the 10 of us, I know 2 of them who will admit it. That probably means another 2-3 are afraid but won't admit it.

I went to get blood drawn a few weeks ago for my yearly physical. I watched the blood flow into the chamber and the NP looked at me a little surprised and asked if I was ok.

I was like...yeah, what?

giphy.gif

ebarker9

Regarding J&J, I think you have to consider the alternative. If they'd continued administering it amidst the reports of blood clots, that may well have undermined confidence in the same way. It's hard to know which story would have been more damaging. I could see where a temporary pause out of an abundance of caution would have seemed like the best approach.

And even beyond fear of needles specifically, I have to believe there's a large percentage of the population that is just terrified of medical care in general. I have a somewhat distant relative in his 70s (not vaccinated) who contracted COVID. His pulse ox last night was evidently reading 74(!), but couldn't be convinced to go to the hospital. Ultimately his son called the paramedics, but he still refused to go with them. Thankfully he agreed to go to an urgent care where they promptly sent him to the ER. Haven't heard an update today, but hoping for the best.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Regarding J&J, I think you have to consider the alternative. If they'd continued administering it amidst the reports of blood clots, that may well have undermined confidence in the same way.

I get the point and there is some merit.
But I think they should have just said, the odds are 1 in a million or whatever they are. At the end of the day they’re still using it so all they did was scare people off

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had my second shot of moderna on Monday. I felt fine yesterday when I woke up. By 9 I was feeling tired. But 10 I was in bed with the chills and aches. By 6 pm I was ready for a ride or a beer. It’s crazy how you feel like ass for a few hours then in about 15 minutes it just goes away.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
honestly i HATE NEEDLES (avoid them whenever possible), still got my first shot last month, 2nd shot next week. I just dont look, this one i didnt even feel, they were pushing me out of the way so my wife could get hers and i was thinking "wait, wheres mine?"

my sil is refusing to get it bc 'its going to melt her ovaries' (her words, not mien. not sure where she got that crazy idea from)

I have also heard the excuse that 'well since everyone else is getting it, i dont need to', pretty sure that misses the point, unless you have a legit MEDICAL reason not to. (allergy to ingerdients or such)

NOBODY LIKES VACCINES,

i also disagree with this statement, everyone like vaccines and what they do, People may not like GETTING the vaccine, but i would argue almost everybody likes the vaccines themselves. As @Norm pointed out, they have made the world an amazing place.

serviceguy

No. if you got vaccinated, an antibody test will show you have antibodies. Even if you get it, it will be much milder. Stop worrying!
Are you 100% sure of that? Based on what info if you don’t test? My mom had recently an appointment with her cardiologist in Florence, Italy. As he works in a hospital, he was an early recipient of the Pfizer vaccine. The hospital tested all employees for antibody afterward and did not find a consistent result across the board with some not having any antibody at all (he was fine, another doctor he works with had none) They did nothing with that information to my knowledge. How can you be sure the vaccine has not been handled incorrectly making it ineffective? I would say that testing for antibody after the second dose would not be a bad idea to make sure it is effective. After all we just needed 15 days of lockdown to end the pandemic. Turns out it wasn’t 15 days and it wasn’t really a lock down. If you are not sure that the vaccine is as effective as declared, how are you going end this thing for good, start calling COVID-20 and put it all behind focusing on the vaccine for the new thing?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I get the point and there is some merit.
But I think they should have just said, the odds are 1 in a million or whatever they are. At the end of the day they’re still using it so all they did was scare people off

"They" is the media?

A-Z had a pause to look at the data, and restarted a few days later. NBD, and BAU was the story.
J&J was reported in a way that looked like stock manipulation, and ambulance chasing.

----

the better needle thing to watch is a cortisone injection.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It’s crazy how you feel like ass for a few hours then in about 15 minutes it just goes away.
Was talking with a doc friend of mine about this last night-
That's the mRNA delivery for ya- once it's done delivering it's payload,
it basically "shuts off", so the symptoms go off like a light switch,
unlike traditional vaccine response which you get over gradually like a cold.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Was talking with a doc friend of mine about this last night-
That's the mRNA delivery for ya- once it's done delivering it's payload,
it basically "shuts off", so the symptoms go off like a light switch,
unlike traditional vaccine response which you get over gradually like a cold.

so like a firmware upgrade?
DNA mods installed to access the 5G injection site pain (bio-antennae)

1620224825235.png

1620224933268.png

Top Bottom