This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A large part of my job is corporate broadcast i.e. production for webcasts, global town hall meetings, etc. I got calls from three major enterprises yesterday within like an hour of one another requesting our services because they don't want their employees (upper management, you know, people that matter) traveling. I guess why risk cramming a thousand people in a ballroom when they could just watch it from their desks at home. The irony is that I will end up traveling all over to direct these meetings and most definitely get sick and die.

I already commute to NYC most days so I'm fucked either way. yay mexican beer flu.

rick81721

Lothar
People are pretty desperate out there, for all we know they are just misting water. Better to see something being done than nothing. Psychological propaganda works in times of crises. We have co-workers in Wuhan who have been quarantined home for a month, even our friends in Shanghai have self quarantined for a few weeks. Try staying home for a week....

Agree it's a good PR move, but as anyone who has worked with microbiological controls knows...

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless you need to take money out of your stock portfolio over the next few months, or even year, it's meaningless. In fact, assuming you are buying into the market regularly via 401K, you will make more in the long run. Doesn't worry me at all
Aren't you at that age where you now have 99% bonds, 1% stocks?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's also been suggested that China has downplayed/under-reported the number of infections.
Actually I was reading that either the CDC or WHO assessed this,
and doesn't think this to be the case- the reports seemed pretty consistent with what would be expected.

And to watch along from your home quarantine:
60 confirmed cases in the US, closest is Boston

Captain Brainstorm

Like most infections of this type, those most likely to die are the elderly or those with weakened immune systems. I read somewhere that it's possible that Coronavirus may end up being added to the list of recurring seasonal infections like the cold and flu (Coronavirus is in the same family as the cold virus). It's also likely to mutate, so coming up with an effective vaccine may be difficult. The best defense at this point may be a dose of "clean living" - eat well, exercise, reduce stress, etc.

Not in the same family as cold, more like flu. Has hemagglutinin surface proteins similar to flu. There are people working on a vaccine, but by the time they develop it, test, get FDA approval, we'll already be on to the next epidemic. Just wash your hands (good old soap and water), don't go one knuckle deep into your nose, try not to rub your eyes so much, and don't chew your nails. These are the best things you can do right now.

This whole thing is interesting though from a social perspective. A little panic and hype may be good when it comes to stopping the spread, too much is not good because people are fools. Lets see where this goes. I think the CDC and NIH are using this as a dry run to gather data on public reaction, test some different containment strategies out, map out how this spreads for when the big one comes along some day. We've had 16-17000 deaths so far in the 2019-2020 flu season, so flu is way more deadly. There probably be a big one some day, nature always wins.

Top Bottom