The 29er Experiment Continues

wow, really? are your tubes kevlar perhaps? i'm j/k on that, but 25? man, i dunno. on a rigid bike? well, i guess i'll test that theory there tomorrow. we'll see what happens. if i flat out, you owe me a tube.

wow, really? are your tubes kevlar perhaps? i'm j/k on that, but 25? man, i dunno. on a rigid bike? well, i guess i'll test that theory there tomorrow. we'll see what happens. if i flat out, you owe me a tube.

Same bike as yours Jake (Full rigid Mary)....How about two tubes:)

The rock garden was the newly closed trail in Cushetunk. Yes, I rode it. :) I'm bad.

Ahhhh....You feel the power of the dark side!!!

With a 29"er comes great power!!! Come with us and complete your training. Together we can rule the Galaxy...I mean trails!!!

050411_darthVader_hmed2_3p_hmedium.jpg

Maybe with newer tires? I remember having no problem with low pressures like that at first on my hardtail 29er, but in 06 started averaging a flat per ride. Nowadays I keep it pegged at 40 unless it's snowy in which case I'll drop it for traction, and only get a handful of flats per year...

Same bike as yours Jake (Full rigid Mary)....How about two tubes:)

wow, really? wtf am i doing wrong? :hmmm.

maybe is should try missing the rocks on occasion?

With a 29"er comes great power!!! Come with us and complete your training. Together we can rule the Galexy...I mean trails!!!

ben, you're a geek. :D but this is more like it

300px-Dark_Helmet_angry.jpg

Maybe with newer tires? I remember having no problem with low pressures like that at first on my hardtail 29er, but in 06 started averaging a flat per ride. Nowadays I keep it pegged at 40 unless it's snowy in which case I'll drop it for traction, and only get a handful of flats per year...

nah, not new tires. they're hmm, a year old now. no flats AT ALL until i started playing with the air pressures, which previously had been 42 psi f/r. then, wham, two in a row, both in the front, both at LM, both at 35 psi. back to 37 for me. plus it's gonna be cold tomorrow and i don't want to change a flat in 20* weather. that brings the sucketh.

now, back to our program.

norm, i actually didn't think of how you'd ride a niner, or any of the other frames you're considering until you mentioned it. i suppose that could be tough. you could buy me a niner frame and let me ride it for you. i mean, if you had got that hypothetical bonus... :D

With a 29"er comes great power!!! Come with us and complete your training. Together we can rule the Galaxy...I mean trails!!!

Getting closer, Anakin. Now one of these days you'll have to let me try your X-Wing Fighter for a few miles.

maybe is should try missing the rocks on occasion?

I also think riding style has something to do with it as well as where you ride....I'm sure your more aggressive than myself and come across more rocks as well...

Right.

At Allaire I have been down to about 20 psi.

I am pretty smooth on a bike so I just add a few lbs when I start feeling the rim bottoming out.

In rock country i would ride at least 35.

Down South here in Central Jerz we can go lower because of the lower altitude.

I know it won't be a popular question but have you tried this same ride on a 26" HT? I have an itch about getting a hardtail in general the big debate is 26/29. Who knows, maybe i'll be happy with my bike after i get a good fit.

I know it won't be a popular question but have you tried this same ride on a 26" HT? I have an itch about getting a hardtail in general the big debate is 26/29. Who knows, maybe i'll be happy with my bike after i get a good fit.
I run UST tires with Stan's strips on non-UST rims and can go sub-30psi with zero fear of pinch flats. I have this setup on a rigid 26" SS and love it.

Unfortunately, these trendy bastards slipped me some of their 29er Koolaid and that bike will be relegated some time this spring...:rolleyes:

I rode the 26" HT at LM, did the race loop, 2 weeks ago. My time for 3 laps was actually a hair slower than my race result. The ride was harsh though, because I was on tubed tires. I really felt beat up by that ride, much more than the 29er HT at RV. Based on that I really don't think it would be a great idea to take the 26" HT to RV, at least not at this point.

In the end it may be a push, but if it's a push then no harm in going straight to the 29. If it's the same then whatever. But you can run lower PSI all else being equal which is a big one for me.

Few Commenst

Norm

I have been riding a 29er for 3 years now and have tried many tire setups and have never gone above 35 PSI on my tires regardless what the conditions are and have had 1 flat the whole time. Now I may not ride the same style as you but 205lbs and and rigid on one bike setup and seem to never have issues. I also believe some of the tires you run will contribute to pinches but that is general knowledge with thin side walls i.e. some Bontrager tires.

I also have had the pleasure of riding two custom 29ers now and it makes a huge difference dialing in the geometry. IF set up a bike with a suspension fork much different than my rigid and it is noticible between both...also BB location has translated into a different ride on both. Either way a 26' bike doesn't fit me period because my center of balance is so far off compared to a 29er and my tall lanky figure has never been more comfortable mt. biking until I got a 29er. Good luck.

I also have had the pleasure of riding two custom 29ers now and it makes a huge difference dialing in the geometry. IF set up a bike with a suspension fork much different than my rigid and it is noticible between both...also BB location has translated into a different ride on both.
Which fork are you using on the rigid bike? I'm in the process of planning a custom 29er and I'm going bananas deciding on the fork.

I've been on a rigid 26" for a couple of years now and love the idea of building a 29er with a non-suspension corrected (i.e. shorter A-C) fork and having a lower front end. The only issue is guarding against the future possiblity of wanting to add a suspension fork.

Thanks.

Which fork are you using on the rigid bike? I'm in the process of planning a custom 29er and I'm going bananas deciding on the fork.

I've been on a rigid 26" for a couple of years now and love the idea of building a 29er with a non-suspension corrected (i.e. shorter A-C) fork and having a lower front end. The only issue is guarding against the future possiblity of wanting to add a suspension fork.

Thanks.

Chris, IMO (and this has nothing to do with 29ers, but it may apply), a lower front end from the perspective of the A-C length is going to hinder your ability to go over "blind" obstacles, unbuilt logs of a certain size for instance. The same applies, to a lesser extent, to the length of the top tube: the shorter it is, the harder getting out of a leaned-forward situation becomes.

In other words, you'd have less fun riding more technical places. A good compromise would be to try and lower the bar by flipping an angled stem over. Drop bars?

Sorry if I'm adding to the confusion...

Cheers

Right.. Except that Chris keeps his bikes for 40 years.
Exactly.

Just to give people an idea of what the hell I'm going on about, the axle to crown measurements of some of the 29er fork options are as follows:
-Vicious Cycles: 438 and 470mm
-Rock Shox Reba 80: 488mm
-Fox F29: 480mm
-Pace RC29: 465mm (I'm sure they make a shorter one as well)
-White Bros. Rock Solid: 445 and 465mm
-Niner Reynolds: 490mm

So we're talking about a 3-5 cm difference here.

Someone once told me long ago, at the first technical job I ever had, that when you find yourself in the midst of confusion, it only means that in the end, you'll come out with a much better understanding of things. They're good words to live by.

Chris, IMO (and this has nothing to do with 29ers, but it may apply), a lower front end from the perspective of the A-C length is going to hinder your ability to go over "blind" obstacles, unbuilt logs of a certain size for instance. The same applies, to a lesser extent, to the length of the top tube: the shorter it is, the harder getting out of a leaned-forward situation becomes.

In other words, you'd have less fun riding more technical places. A good compromise would be to try and lower the bar by flipping an angled stem over. Drop bars?

Cheers

I am not sure that I agree.

Being that he is having a custom bike built I think that distance from the f hub to the bars will be close to the same since they will be building the bike around the fork.

I am rooting for suspension corrected so that he can someday put a shock of some sort on the thing. Even an 80mm version.

If he goes non-sus corrected it will feel like a crap sandwich if he puts a shock on it.

Back
Top Bottom