The 2021 lawn thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

don

Probably not as steep as yours but my walk behind 4wd works like a charm uphill. My gardener/wife can’t stop thanking me for pushing her into spending the extra money for the self propelled 4wd model.

Walk behind 4WD mower? Need more info on this!

don

please say you push mow across the hill, not up-and-down.

Years ago I worked for a landscaping company and we ran Scag 48" walk behinds. The Bobcats I used the job previously were light duty compared to the Scags. This was about the 5th summer cutting lawns after riding BMX for years before that so I pretty dialed behind them. I actually put a pair of BMX grips on a walker I had for personal use years later.

We had one client with a crazy steep lower section of their front lawn that was on a semi-busy street. The practice for that company was to cut parallel to the street one week and perpendicular the next. The other guys and I would talk shit to each on how we could get our "stripes" straighter and better than the other. Any way on a "perpendicular" week at this house I decide to keep the lines going even over the steep section (the boss said we could just side cut it or weedwack). It was like going down a DJ landing, making a 180 turn (and try not lock the inside tire) and then go right back up but making sure the machine wouldn't loop out so you had to push it up the pitch. Stressful and tough physically and kind of stupid but damn when we drove away my stripes were fucking mint!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Mine is self propelled, diagonally maybe?!?!

could still slip under it - more than likely, the response to falling would not be to let go of the handle.
alternating diagonals would be acceptable - might even look good.
does you British Mower Operator (BMO) wear golf spikes while taking on this task?

i need to get the sweeper attachment that lays the grass in one direction after the deck passes over. ;)

Reactions: don

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
could still slip under it - more than likely, the response to falling would not be to let go of the handle.
alternating diagonals would be acceptable - might even look good.
does you British Mower Operator (BMO) wear golf spikes while taking on this task?

i need to get the sweeper attachment that lays the grass in one direction after the deck passes over. ;)

my wife has already asked me to use one of those, fortunately they dont make em for my mower and we dont have enough land to justify a riding or 0turn

iman29

Walk behind 4WD mower? Need more info on this!
Last fall I found this sitting at the curb around the corner from me while walking the dog with a FREE sign on it.

1617914982553.png

Went back with my SUV and snagged it. Cleaned the carb out and changed the air filter and it ran perfect for the rest of the season. Hoping thats the case when I start it up the next week or so too for the first time this season.

I have an old RWD Toro personal pace mower thats getting tired so I found this one at the right time. I have a very flat piece of property but this mower works so much better and the AWD saves some fatigue. The only difference I feel is the speed is not as variable so its kinda more like on/off when you pull the handle to go.

serviceguy

Last fall I found this sitting at the curb around the corner from me while walking the dog with a FREE sign on it.

View attachment 155356

Went back with my SUV and snagged it. Cleaned the carb out and changed the air filter and it ran perfect for the rest of the season. Hoping thats the case when I start it up the next week or so too for the first time this season.

I have an old RWD Toro personal pace mower thats getting tired so I found this one at the right time. I have a very flat piece of property but this mower works so much better and the AWD saves some fatigue. The only difference I feel is the speed is not as variable so its kinda more like on/off when you pull the handle to go.
The personal pace is the function that adjusts the speed to the person holding the steerer on a Toro lawn mower, it’s not necessarily related to awd, the husquarna awd that you got for free possibly doesn’t have the equivalent of personal pace or maybe it’s broken. It wouldn’t be something too difficult to fix/rig as it is only the throttle reacting to the steerer being pulled or pushed.

iman29

The personal pace is the function that adjusts the speed to the person holding the steerer on a Toro lawn mower, it’s not necessarily related to awd, the husquarna awd that you got for free possibly doesn’t have the equivalent of personal pace or maybe it’s broken. It wouldn’t be something too difficult to fix/rig as it is only the throttle reacting to the steerer being pulled or pushed.
It took some getting used to after using the personal pace thing but I got the hang of it. I don’t think it’s broken I think that’s more just the way it works cause it’s AWD.

I’ve learned to push/pull the mower without the drive engaged in the tricky spots where the toro would modulate better.

Still one of the best free finds I have made.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
De- thatching is one of those feel-good home owner practices. You only need to de-thatch if you have more then 3/4" of thatch. De-thatching is right up there with liming your lawn. You don't know the ph, but putting out lime every year feels like you are doing something good.

The pic of lawn above looks thin and sparse. I'd recommend seeding.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
De- thatching is one of those feel-good home owner practices. You only need to de-thatch if you have more then 3/4" of thatch. De-thatching is right up there with liming your lawn. You don't know the ph, but putting out lime every year feels like you are doing something good.

The pic of lawn above looks thin and sparse. I'd recommend seeding.

Seeding later today to get that free water. My yard is neglected since before I moved in aside for cutting it(I skipped a year) I haven't done anything.

This year I'm dethatching and seeding aside for hay should I cover the seed with anything else?

Progress shots
Post mowing
PXL_20210410_205941713.jpg
Post dethatching
PXL_20210410_212146627.jpg
Post removal of thatch
PXL_20210410_214154646.jpg
Pile of thatch
PXL_20210410_213011375.jpg
This is a really small patch of grass I would weedwack it but I suck at that too.

I went the other direction with the dethatcher since the last picture I'm going to take everything up and bag with the mower I'll be seeding in the dark to get that free water tomorrow.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seed and salt hay as opposed to straw. Straw has weed seeds.
Also, consider a ground cover like Liriope and or ornamental grasses along driveway and pavers. You'll have a tough time keeping grass along driveway and that akward triangle near pavers.
PXL_20210410_205941713~3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom