The 2021 lawn thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

qclabrat

Signed up with TruGreen a few weeks ago. First application is going to be sometime this week.

I have some spot repairs to do. I did aerate and overseed last year , but was using one of the garden tractor cinder block aerator and spread seed with my Scotts spreader. Hoping it makes a difference.

I have some variety of annual rye grass I assume that gets super brown and dead, but does come back and not as a bare spots. Its mixed in throughout but looks like crap in the larger areas.

Think my first mow will be in a week or two!
It will, also check for thatch. Mold and thickness will curb positive growth. I'm doing mine next week. We need some rain, I haven't seen my lawn so dry in April

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
local guys showed up today and did the fertilizer/crab grass pre-emergent today.

ekuhn

I am trying Tru-green this year. Yard was a diasaster when we we got the house, the only good grass was where it was reseeded for the new septic. It’s an ego killer for me, I spent at least 10 summers on the greens crew for some pretty good golf courses, but when I did the math Tru-green wasn’t much more than it would cost to buy the supplies and do myself. That and I really don’t feel like putting in the time to do it.
This is 100%. Plus its something you can take of the "What keeps me from riding list"

Good timing. I always remind pre-emerg when the forsythia are opening. Did mine this past weekend
Maybe renting a de-thatcher in the upcoming weekends or at the end of the season is an idea. Time man, all needs time.

MMuller

Basically 0 maintenance 0 cost.

20210407_115808.jpg20210407_115753.jpg

Years ago grandparents realized sandy shaded Shark River Hills soil sucks to grow grass. I've added new weed block and supplemented stones a couple times in the last 30 years. This time of year crabgrass appears. Gentle raking pulls it up and aside from an errant weed or 2, stays constant throughout the year with a good raking or 2.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Basically 0 maintenance 0 cost.View attachment 155259View attachment 155258Years ago grandparents realized sandy shaded Shark River Hills soil sucks to grow grass. I've added new weed block and supplemented stones a couple times in the last 30 years. This time of year crabgrass appears. Gentle raking pulls it up and aside from an errant weed or 2, stays constant throughout the year with a good raking or 2.

wildflowers or native grasses would be a more environmentally friendly option - more CO2 sequestration and less rain water runoff

don

I see green! Won't be long now.
Get the oil changed and the blades sharp.

I refreshed the Stan's in the front tires, and noticed a wobble. Exploded bearing. Luckily big orange had the part

Nice Bobcat zero turn!

I have a 48" Fastcat which is their "consumer" level machine. Plenty good for what I use it for.

Patrick

Staff member
Nice Bobcat zero turn!

I have a 48" Fastcat which is their "consumer" level machine. Plenty good for what I use it for.
Thanks! Got it used from a farmer that upgraded. 2,000 hours.
61" deck. 11mph. Runs strong, just replacing pieces.

Over the Bars

Growing grass on my mountain sucks! If it's green I'm ok with it I don't even know whats growing anymore but it looks alright after it gets cut and it stops the erosion. Need to sharpen all my blades I'll add it to that growing list of stuff to do 😤

qclabrat

Growing grass on my mountain sucks! If it's green I'm ok with it I don't even know whats growing anymore but it looks alright after it gets cut and it stops the erosion. Need to sharpen all my blades I'll add it to that growing list of stuff to do 😤
I have the same problem, we regraded our back yard about 10 years ago. About a quarter acre is now flat, but now have a sizeable hill to deal with. It's gradually steep so not really a candidate for an ugly retaining wall. We originally grew grass but was too much of a pita to push mow (too steep for the ztr). On more than one occasion on wet days I've even rolled down the hill with a mower coming after me. I tried wild flower mixes with mediocre success and ended up doing an assortment of bushes. It's starting to grow in after 4 years but the stiltgrass has been taking over by late summer. Trying some wild flowers again for the bear spots. I'm always amazed how they can dump some seed on the GSP medians and it looks so lush.

serviceguy

I have the same problem, we regraded our back yard about 10 years ago. About a quarter acre is now flat, but now have a sizeable hill to deal with. It's gradually steep so not really a candidate for an ugly retaining wall. We originally grew grass but was too much of a pita to push mow (too steep for the ztr). On more than one occasion on wet days I've even rolled down the hill with a mower coming after me. I tried wild flower mixes with mediocre success and ended up doing an assortment of bushes. It's starting to grow in after 4 years but the stiltgrass has been taking over by late summer. Trying some wild flowers again for the bear spots. I'm always amazed how they can dump some seed on the GSP medians and it looks so lush.
Probably not as steep as yours but my walk behind 4wd works like a charm uphill. My gardener/wife can’t stop thanking me for pushing her into spending the extra money for the self propelled 4wd model.

Reactions: don

Patrick

Staff member
Probably not as steep as yours but my walk behind 4wd works like a charm uphill. My gardener/wife can’t stop thanking me for pushing her into spending the extra money for the self propelled 4wd model.

please say you push mow across the hill, not up-and-down.

serviceguy

please say you push mow across the hill, not up-and-down.
I don’t do either, I have a British gardener doing it for me. Either way it doesn’t make any difference, she not pushing it, she can barely keep up after it uphill, downhill sideways, upside down, whatever! Anyway, would you really drive your lawn mower across a steep incline? Better have a sturdy rollbar! Don’t be this guy!
F05DA76B-8905-4153-AC1A-B2B349AF432A.png

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
I don’t do either, I have a British gardener doing it for me. Either way it doesn’t make any difference, she not pushing it, she can barely keep up after it uphill, downhill sideways, upside down, whatever! Anyway, would you really drive your lawn mower across a steep incline? Better have a sturdy rollbar! Don’t be this guy!
View attachment 155334
Push mower across, riding mower up/down. I see some of the pros riding side hill and it is scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom