The 2016 garden thread

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hope you got midget deer and 3 legged groundhogs, that's a short fence, good luck

LOL I know man. It came with the house. I thought it should be higher too. Fortunately we have coyotes living in our yard now and since they've moved in, the deer have disappeared completely. Used to have herds of deer in the yard every day. Now we have haunting coyote howls, yips and and screams every night. They sound like aliens sometimes. Every now and then I will find a piece of a deer. There was a deer leg under my deck last week. I sure as hell didn't put it there and it probably didn't walk there on it's own.

We do however have a groundhog living under the shed. Looking forward to going full Bill Murray on his a$$

*Edit* As I type this, I can hear coyotes making a ruckus out back right now.

Last edited:

qclabrat

Rutgers two fiddy from Bardy farms in Warren, my friends said they soldout at Rutgers Ag field day this past Saturday by 11am, though plenty at Bardys, go get some
WP_20160504_19_53_52_Pro.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
rutgers 250 from seed, and f1 hybrids. and some other random stuff.

IMG_4446.JPG IMG_4445.JPG

Nonno always said, 'no putta da tomato in the ground before june.'

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
kCIfAPT.jpg

Reactions: rlb

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is genius, how much soil and what was the price?
It's a cubic yard, $130ish I think? Not sure if that's expensive or not, but it's really good soil from our black dirt region.

rlb

That is a bit pricey, depends what's in it. Im sure the delivery is a good portion of that. I'm all for throwing a few extra bucks at convenience where I can.

On the DIY side the typical raised bed mix of compost, peat, and vermiculite adds up pretty quick too, but probably closer to half that I'd guess.

ekuhn

Went to Gaskos for some flowers on Saturday. You would think that place was handing out $100 bills, it was jam packed.

Last year I had one lone tomato plant. It was a nice little highlight to my summer. This year I decided to expand. Picked up one 4" heirloom tomato plant, one 4" Rutgers tomato plant, one 4" Hungarian sweet banana pepper plant, one 4" green bell pepper, and a small 6 pack of Cherry Bomb Hot Peppers. Looking forward for the Cherry Bombs.

Deer in my hood don't stumble into the back yard but I added Some marigolds thrown in for accent. Have to get another cage tomorrow.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

rlb

Coming along nicely so far, though I am "behind" but I guess it doesn't matter much with this shit weather. I was hoping to get tomatoes and peppers in the ground this weekend. We'll see with the rain...I still need to build the box they're going in. I also wanted to plant some squash (should've put the seeds in the dirt about a month ago...), I'm sure the summer squash will do fine but hoping that the winter squash will have enough time.

I also need to fence this area in, my temp fencing is annoying to deal with!

Would be nice to get a few days of sun on these plants so they can take off.

Pacman broccoli looking good

IMG_20160520_082109048.jpg

Leafy greens starting to spread out a bit
IMG_20160520_082115865.jpg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Box for tomaters with the fancy soil and homemade compost mix. Tomato plants are pretty much ready to plant and will probably do some peppers in the smaller section on the right. Still need some posts and some fencing, though the tomatoes seemed to be untouched by the usual woodland critters last year.
image.jpeg

qclabrat

I'm trying out some artichoke plants this year, anyone tried them locally?
they won't survive winter, but I usually test few new crops each year.
this year are the chokes and lima beans

Reactions: rlb

I Ride Bikes

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping birds away other than netting. The're already after my strawberries. I've built a wire cage with netting attached to it but ideally I'd rather not have to use it. I was thinking about bird feeders at the end of my property to give them easy access to a food supply in hopes that they would leave the berries alone but I'm sure it will only attract even more that will finish off my plants. Maybe a shotgun to one and leave it there as a warning to others...

qclabrat

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping birds away other than netting. The're already after my strawberries. I've built a wire cage with netting attached to it but ideally I'd rather not have to use it. I was thinking about bird feeders at the end of my property to give them easy access to a food supply in hopes that they would leave the berries alone but I'm sure it will only attract even more that will finish off my plants. Maybe a shotgun to one and leave it there as a warning to others...
try tying your old Milli Vanilli CDs on a string, I used to use AOL CDs years ago and worked great, haven't had the need till now, as the bluejays for some reason want to peck on the tops of my tomatoes

I Ride Bikes

try tying your old Milli Vanilli CDs on a string, I used to use AOL CDs years ago and worked great, haven't had the need till now, as the bluejays for some reason want to peck on the tops of my tomatoes
I've heard of those methods too but I think that's worse aesthetically than the net.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i think an old stray cats cd would be best. ;)

an outdoor cat works nicely with birds and rabbits. except mine, he will occasionally look up from his nap.

Top Bottom