The 12 Hours of Santos 2018

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
05579428-6EA9-413E-BEE0-99F15F070E07.jpeg

Early season race recap ...

I’m sitting in my hotel room right outside the Orlando Airport right now waiting to fly home tomorrow morning. I’m down here for the 12 Hours of Santos at the Vortex Trail of the Santos system in Ocala, about an hour north of here off Rte 75. This was the second time I’ve done this race, the first being in 2016 when I managed a second overall in the Open Class. There is no SS class here so once again I lined up in 12 hour solo Open.

If anyone wants to stop reading quickly, here’s the top line result: no repeat this year as I managed 5th or 6th (didn’t stick around to find out which it actually was.) There are a lot of reasons for that, though, and that’s where the real story is ...

First, let me just say that racing in Florida is legit. This is a fantastic event for a community of riders who are really into riding and racing. And if anyone is picturing just flat, sandy single track a la Wharton, let me clear that up for you right now: this is among the toughest SS courses I’ve ever raced, no kidding. It’s really hard to be competitive with the Open geared guys out here because (1) they’re really fast and (2) the second half of the course is just too fast for a SS to keep up over 12 Hours. In 2016, the course was different - there was more of a mix of tech and speed throughout the 9 mile lap. This year, they mixed it up: shortened the lap to 8 miles, and basically made it 3 1/2 miles of pure tech and hills followed by 4 1/2 miles of more flat and fast single track. And that was the problem:eek:ver 12 Hours, there is no way a SS is going to be able to gain enough in the climbs to offset the losses incurred in the flat. The tech just beat you up too much.

And that’s not to say the course cost me the race - those guys up front were flat out stronger than me. The field was tougher this year than in 2016, for sure. I figured that out early when I had to back off the pace before the end of the prologue - it was just too hot for me for ja 12 hour day.

At any rate, it was a fun but very tough day. Early in the race, on one of the brutal short power climbs,a rider in front of me put his foot down halfway up and I had to react very quickly to avoid a crash. It was my own fault - I was following too close. But I pulled sideways to avoid him and popped a rib or something - I spent most of the first four hours unable to pull up on my bars without a lot of pain in my side. I really thought I’d have to quit, but eventually it worked out (or, more likely, other shit started to hurt just as much and pushed it down the list of agony ... #endurancelife ...) For an idea of what the climbs are like out here, the closest I can think of is Cathedral Pines - the one step-up climb early in the lap? Add rocks to that and make it a little steeper and longer and that’s more or less what most of the first 3+ miles of Santos is. It’s got North Jersey rocks with constant up and down. If that sounds crazy, just bear in mind that whole part of the course used to be a quarry.

So my first few laps put me pretty far down and once I started to feel a little better, I was pretty much already out of it. I didn’t really have a plan for this race, and even on Friday’s pre-ride I knew it was a much tougher course so I just settled in and tried to ride a solid pace. The difficulty in that - and I can’t stress this enough - was that the longer I rode, the harder it got to recover from the tech to put down a hard pace in the back of the course. I needed to recover for a bit before I could ask my body to push in the flat. This really was a course where a FS geared bike was the right tool and about the only thing I can think of worse than a hard tail SS would have been a rigid SS.

But don’t get me wrong.i had a blast ... 85 degrees in February, nothing to do all day but ride, and a crazy positive race vibe everywhere you looked. This is a fun, fun event (and for those who have no interest in 12 Hours, there are 3 and 6 hour options offered as well. It’s a chance to get out of the freeze and have some fun on a bike in February - if you get the itch, definitely worth a look.)

So ... after that pitch, here’s a quick rundown of what’s a pretty standard post-race experience that may change your mind if all this sounds great. Every time I do one of these, the physicals bill that comes due after I finish is, well, a little steep. This time around, as I sit here in the hotel, here’s a shortlist of what I got for the effort:

1. Sunburn on my face and arms despite regularly applying sunscreen
2. Cramped and sore upper back and shoulders
3. Bruised triceps
4. Core feels like I spent the last 24 Hours being punched in the gut by a boxer
5. Hamstrings and quads pretty much on the edge of cramping since the second I stopped (particularly fun when they actually do cramp while I’m sleeping.)
6. The always fun loss of body temp regulation after I stop. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve finished an endurance race and then had my entire body start convulsively shivering, I’d have ... a bunch of nickels. This is why whenever I finish a race early in the season, I make a beeline for my car and heat right away.)
7. Swollen and bruised hands with temporary numbness in my fingers - all of them.
8. Especially painful - on harder courses if I’m pushing hard, my feet tend to hit the front of my shoes enough to crack my toenails by the end of the day. (Doesn’t always happen but it did happen yesterday and I’ve had it happen before.)
9. For like three days afterward, I could everything in sight. Today alone I’ve already had 2 bagels, a waffle, a Jersey Mike’s Sub (large) and I’m ready for more.
10. Saddle sores ... there isn’t enough chamois butter in the world to stop saddle sores from happening when you ride that long in that kind of heat.
11. Finally, this doesn’t happen with anything less than 12 hour races, but I always have insomnia for a few days after longer races. I slept only 4 hours last night and I know it’ll be similar tonight.

But I still say it’s worth it. Despite the fact that I was a shell of a human being as I Gollumed across the finish line at the end, knowing I sucked it up and h7ng on for eight more hours when I thought I was done at 4 gives a genuine sense of accomplishment.

9E5BB38A-C643-4FED-83F4-6A6351343A95.jpeg

My ghetto pit ... $3 Lowe’s moving box ...
A7725268-755E-4E96-9C34-A47538687940.jpeg

This climb is way steeper than it looks ...
91E1225C-AEA6-437D-8EBA-90382E4A6E8D.jpeg

... and so is this one ... and so were the other six or so in the first three miles of the lap
DD2F06B0-4E45-413D-A354-D51827AD5AB9.jpeg

The drop-in ... this was soooo fun to ride every lap!

Attachments

• 6F3343B9-F4AC-444D-A076-C34231E28664.jpeg
    6F3343B9-F4AC-444D-A076-C34231E28664.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 236

rick81721

Lothar
View attachment 63909

Early season race recap ...

I’m sitting in my hotel room right outside the Orlando Airport right now waiting to fly home tomorrow morning. I’m down here for the 12 Hours of Santos at the Vortex Trail of the Santos system in Ocala, about an hour north of here off Rte 75. This was the second time I’ve done this race, the first being in 2016 when I managed a second overall in the Open Class. There is no SS class here so once again I lined up in 12 hour solo Open.

If anyone wants to stop reading quickly, here’s the top line result: no repeat this year as I managed 5th or 6th (didn’t stick around to find out which it actually was.) There are a lot of reasons for that, though, and that’s where the real story is ...

First, let me just say that racing in Florida is legit. This is a fantastic event for a community of riders who are really into riding and racing. And if anyone is picturing just flat, sandy single track a la Wharton, let me clear that up for you right now: this is among the toughest SS courses I’ve ever raced, no kidding. It’s really hard to be competitive with the Open geared guys out here because (1) they’re really fast and (2) the second half of the course is just too fast for a SS to keep up over 12 Hours. In 2016, the course was different - there was more of a mix of tech and speed throughout the 9 mile lap. This year, they mixed it up: shortened the lap to 8 miles, and basically made it 3 1/2 miles of pure tech and hills followed by 4 1/2 miles of more flat and fast single track. And that was the problem:eek:ver 12 Hours, there is no way a SS is going to be able to gain enough in the climbs to offset the losses incurred in the flat. The tech just beat you up too much.

And that’s not to say the course cost me the race - those guys up front were flat out stronger than me. The field was tougher this year than in 2016, for sure. I figured that out early when I had to back off the pace before the end of the prologue - it was just too hot for me for ja 12 hour day.

At any rate, it was a fun but very tough day. Early in the race, on one of the brutal short power climbs,a rider in front of me put his foot down halfway up and I had to react very quickly to avoid a crash. It was my own fault - I was following too close. But I pulled sideways to avoid him and popped a rib or something - I spent most of the first four hours unable to pull up on my bars without a lot of pain in my side. I really thought I’d have to quit, but eventually it worked out (or, more likely, other shit started to hurt just as much and pushed it down the list of agony ... #endurancelife ...) For an idea of what the climbs are like out here, the closest I can think of is Cathedral Pines - the one step-up climb early in the lap? Add rocks to that and make it a little steeper and longer and that’s more or less what most of the first 3+ miles of Santos is. It’s got North Jersey rocks with constant up and down. If that sounds crazy, just bear in mind that whole part of the course used to be a quarry.

So my first few laps put me pretty far down and once I started to feel a little better, I was pretty much already out of it. I didn’t really have a plan for this race, and even on Friday’s pre-ride I knew it was a much tougher course so I just settled in and tried to ride a solid pace. The difficulty in that - and I can’t stress this enough - was that the longer I rode, the harder it got to recover from the tech to put down a hard pace in the back of the course. I needed to recover for a bit before I could ask my body to push in the flat. This really was a course where a FS geared bike was the right tool and about the only thing I can think of worse than a hard tail SS would have been a rigid SS.

But don’t get me wrong.i had a blast ... 85 degrees in February, nothing to do all day but ride, and a crazy positive race vibe everywhere you looked. This is a fun, fun event (and for those who have no interest in 12 Hours, there are 3 and 6 hour options offered as well. It’s a chance to get out of the freeze and have some fun on a bike in February - if you get the itch, definitely worth a look.)

So ... after that pitch, here’s a quick rundown of what’s a pretty standard post-race experience that may change your mind if all this sounds great. Every time I do one of these, the physicals bill that comes due after I finish is, well, a little steep. This time around, as I sit here in the hotel, here’s a shortlist of what I got for the effort:

1. Sunburn on my face and arms despite regularly applying sunscreen
2. Cramped and sore upper back and shoulders
3. Bruised triceps
4. Core feels like I spent the last 24 Hours being punched in the gut by a boxer
5. Hamstrings and quads pretty much on the edge of cramping since the second I stopped (particularly fun when they actually do cramp while I’m sleeping.)
6. The always fun loss of body temp regulation after I stop. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve finished an endurance race and then had my entire body start convulsively shivering, I’d have ... a bunch of nickels. This is why whenever I finish a race early in the season, I make a beeline for my car and heat right away.)
7. Swollen and bruised hands with temporary numbness in my fingers - all of them.
8. Especially painful - on harder courses if I’m pushing hard, my feet tend to hit the front of my shoes enough to crack my toenails by the end of the day. (Doesn’t always happen but it did happen yesterday and I’ve had it happen before.)
9. For like three days afterward, I could everything in sight. Today alone I’ve already had 2 bagels, a waffle, a Jersey Mike’s Sub (large) and I’m ready for more.
10. Saddle sores ... there isn’t enough chamois butter in the world to stop saddle sores from happening when you ride that long in that kind of heat.
11. Finally, this doesn’t happen with anything less than 12 hour races, but I always have insomnia for a few days after longer races. I slept only 4 hours last night and I know it’ll be similar tonight.

But I still say it’s worth it. Despite the fact that I was a shell of a human being as I Gollumed across the finish line at the end, knowing I sucked it up and h7ng on for eight more hours when I thought I was done at 4 gives a genuine sense of accomplishment.

View attachment 63904
My ghetto pit ... $3 Lowe’s moving box ...
View attachment 63905
This climb is way steeper than it looks ...
View attachment 63906
... and so is this one ... and so were the other six or so in the first three miles of the lap
View attachment 63907
The drop-in ... this was soooo fun to ride every lap!

Awesome! I gotta get up there and ride the course before I head back to nj. Maybe next year I'll try one of the shorter races

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Racing in the south never stops, so while everyone on this board is drinking beer, XC skiing and getting fat, people are completely tuned up to race already. Hell, Charlotte short track just finished its 5th and final race today.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
way to push through,
good story, and a description of the bill was priceless...
trim the crap out of those toe nails - i had one pull up during a half marathon cause it wasn't trimmed enough.....OUCH!

V-Dub

Two years ago I went there and raced as part of a team and I have to say it's a great event, well worth the plane fare. I couldn't make the race this year but I'm heading down for Santos fest in March

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Nice job man! Always wanted to try a 12 hour. What do you use for nutrition? I/
've been happy with Infinit but always curious what others use.

1speed

Nice job man! Always wanted to try a 12 hour. What do you use for nutrition? I/
've been happy with Infinit but always curious what others use.

I use Osmo. Easy on the stomach and I like the taste - kind of like orangeade. I don’t eat a whole lot- usually half a Clif bar every other lap. I don’t usually need more than that, but if I do it’d be something with peanut butter -calorie dense and easy on the stomach. Easy on the stomach is my main criteria because my stomach is a wimpy little bitch. I actually prefer eating apple slices but when I’m self-supporting, I’d have to pre-cut them and they’d go bad so I only do that when I have support (which has only ever happened in 24 hour races for me.)

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I use Osmo. Easy on the stomach and I like the taste - kind of like orangeade. I don’t eat a whole lot- usually half a Clif bar every other lap. I don’t usually need more than that, but if I do it’d be something with peanut butter -calorie dense and easy on the stomach. Easy on the stomach is my main criteria because my stomach is a wimpy little bitch. I actually prefer eating apple slices but when I’m self-supporting, I’d have to pre-cut them and they’d go bad so I only do that when I have support (which has only ever happened in 24 hour races for me.)
I have found Infinit easy on the stomach snd I don’t ever need to eat in races now.

1speed

Just one quick post-script on this trip ... I am usually really stressed out traveling with my bike. Anyone who has ever flown out of Philadelphia Int'l should know why: they have a terrible track record for pretty much everything, so trusting them with what is arguably my most prized possession is not something I have ever been able to do completely.

But for some reason, this time I decided I was going to just let it go. I packed my bike up just as carefully as I always do - bubble-wrapped the frame, pulled the brake pads out and inserted the bleed-blocks and zip-tied them in place, pulled the pedals, seatpost and saddle and put them in my suitcase (more on this later) - all the usual stuff. But when I checked it, I just handed it over and put it out of my mind. And you know what? It was the easiest trip with a bike I've ever had. It's not that I didn't care - my Moots is arguably the most valuable bike I've ever had. But I just decided that for all my past concerns, I've never really been able to do anything about it anyway. So I just handed it over and walked away. And nothing tragic happened. The bike was inspected in Philly (not sure if they x-rayed it or opened it in Orlando because there was no paper notice saying the TSA had opened it when I got home) and they did okay repacking it. It arrived in one piece and they didn't even un-bead my tires this time (which has happened every other time I've ever traveled with it.) I think this is probably just the way I'll try to handle this from now on - there really is nothing I can do to ensure it makes it in one piece (I mean, seriously, even using a transport service can't guarantee that.) So why stress? If it arrived broken, I'd have spent Saturday watching a race instead of doing a race. I'd have still been in 80+ degrees in February. Hell, since I arrived in FL so early on Friday (Orlando at 8:30 am, in Ocala by 10:30), I couldn't check in to my hotel so I drove to the venue and put it together in the parking lot (much to the amusement of a few folks there to pre-ride.) So since I put it together in a sandy parking lot where I could risk losing small parts, I was probably the biggest danger to not being able to race on Saturday anyway.

About that packing strategy ... here's a quick cheap-ass trick for those looking to save on flying with a bike. I know this sounds ridiculous, but in some instances this will actually work: if you have a small, light case (I don't anymore so I can't get away with it), you may be able to save on the extra fee for flying an oversized luggage item. Most airlines specifically state that bikes incur that charge, regardless of the size and weight of your loaded bike case. But if you pack some parts in other luggage, you can game the system because you are no longer shipping a bike in your case - you're shipping bike parts, which don't automatically incur the cost. So all you have to do then is keep the total weight under the limit (usually 50lbs.) and have a case that falls below the required dimensions for oversized luggage (these vary by airline, but soft-cases can usually make it under the limit if you're careful.) My problem was the dimensions - I flew Southwest, which has a cheap overage charge ($75 ... yeah, that's cheap for this shit) but my Trico case exceeds their size limit regardless of its weight. The total case weighed only 40 lbs for me this time, which would have put me under the limit and I'd have been able to declare the package as "bike parts" instead of a bike because I put several parts in my other luggage. I always make a point of saying that I am traveling with parts. If the lady at the counter asks if it's a bike, I say no - it's only some parts - which is true since you could not put a full bike together with what is in the case. I strongly suggest at least trying this in Philly because - and this is objectively true - most of the people working there really hate their jobs and won't argue anything. I once got way with my current case flying for free because when they went to weigh it, I held part of it up myself to fool the scale and the guy never even bothered to look at the dimensions. The guy just watched me do this and wrote down the weight it read, which was easily 10 lbs under what it actually was. All they want in Philly is for you to go away. As long as you aren't a dick in the way you speak to them, they'll let you get away with a lot.

onetracker

Thinking about a trip to Ocala, FL. Is it possible to get many days of riding out of the Santos Trail system? Would it be better/more fun to stay closer to the Santos Trail System or the Trails in Ocala National Forest (e.g. Paisley Woods Trail)?

rick81721

Lothar
Thinking about a trip to Ocala, FL. Is it possible to get many days of riding out of the Santos Trail system? Would it be better/more fun to stay closer to the Santos Trail System or the Trails in Ocala National Forest (e.g. Paisley Woods Trail)?

Haven't been to the ocala national forest trails yet but you could spend 2 days at Santos. I'd recommend staying an hour south so you'd be halfway between Santos and Alafia river state park. And you could spend another day at Balm Boyette.

Rocksrgood4u

Thinking about a trip to Ocala, FL. Is it possible to get many days of riding out of the Santos Trail system?

I rode there a couple of times over holidays. Parked off SE 80th St. It seemed like I rode the immediate area in a few hours. The trail system branches out from there. I couldn’t tell if there was much single track, tech outside of Santos/Vortex proper. There’s a bike shop/bar across the street from the campground. Santos is fun as hell.

onetracker

Haven't been to the ocala national forest trails yet but you could spend 2 days at Santos. I'd recommend staying an hour south so you'd be halfway between Santos and Alafia river state park. And you could spend another day at Balm Boyette.
Thanks. I will check those other areas out.

onetracker

Thanks again for the info. Specifically, were you thinking about the Lakeland, FL area as the halfway point?

Top Bottom