Thanksgiving Rides

heythorp

well i am "homeless" for this thanksgiving so if the weather is warm i would be up for a longer type ride if anyone wants. I would do a road ride but too many drunks will be on the road, but at around 3pm or so the roads will be empty, but still to dangerous, so i will be hitting the woods for a longer type ride.

SpartaBard

When are you thinking? Thurs. morning? I am free Wed. morning. I kind of want to check out Split Rock/Wildcat Ridge.

ytc100

I was going to ride Wednesday. Not sure where yet. I would be interested in split rock as it's practically in my backyard.

How about you Cup?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm off Wednesday, I will be riding somewhere.

Turkey day morning I could go but it's got to be EARLY.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm checking on a couple of things regarding the ride i do, and have done nearly every year i've owned a mountain bike and been in the state of new jersey.

i'm not sure what the 'rules' are so i don't want to say anything yet. but, if i'm given the green light, the only requirement will be that (one of) you brings a bum-sized bottle of yaeger...and a fondness of fun...and learning one of many, many, many routes in the area that has been mentioned a couple times above.

sorry for the vagueness.

S

Stan LeCupp

I'll be riding Thanksgiving but can't get to the trails till 1:30pm or so.

I might be up for splitrock Wednesday if we have good tour guide to show us around.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
http://f.vanderburgh.home.att.net/imap/wcrtrails.html

this is wildcat ridge. from what i can tell, it's pretty accurate as far as BLAZED trails go

http://f.vanderburgh.home.att.net/imap2/sr-trails.html

this one is splitrock resivour. i've never ridden this blue trail, but from the looks of it, it parallels charlottesburg road...which you can ride the entire way (of the blue trail, that is). road is a VERY loose term. it's more like a fire road that was never leveled. lots of rocks, even more water.

i know the area very well, but no way i could ride on weds...and definately not without getting lost at least twice. despite the fact i grew up riding there, i've only been a couple times in the past few years. i'll talk to my buddy richie though...he usually rides on sunday am there.

edit: i was just clicking around on the splitrock map and it's very cool...shows some trail markers.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
hey all - Thanksgiving Day ride is going off at Wawayanda at 8:30 boat launch lot.

This is a critical mass type ride, with multiple clubs. All levels, so bring the whole family, and get home in time for turkey. :D :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i would agree. even this weekend, there will be alot of innexperienced hunters out trying to bring home a thanksgiving turkey. even on thanksgiving morning, you will have the more desperate and drunk ones out there. except for sundays right now, i would stick to roads and parks.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
anrothar said:
i would agree. even this weekend, there will be alot of innexperienced hunters out trying to bring home a thanksgiving turkey. even on thanksgiving morning, you will have the more desperate and drunk ones out there. except for sundays right now, i would stick to roads and parks.

i used to hunt all manner of critters and correct me if i'm wrong, but the only two things that can be hunted now are deer (via bow or muzzle loader...which is basically a rifle) and birds, not including turkeys, with the shotgun.

not that either makes an inexperienced hunter less dangerous, but turkey hunting puts these guys and their itchy triggers on the ground....in camo. deer hunters are generally in trees shooting down and the pheasant hunters should be shooting UP.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sparta Brad said:
ok, I am out then. Some other time though I would like to check that place out.

btw, there's A LOT more than hunters to worry about up there.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i know alot of deer hunters that hunt from the ground. i was once riding to work through the trails, and heard a shot not 30 yards from me, then had a pheasant drop to the ground not five feet from me....

anrothar

entirely thrilled
they were allowed to yesterday. for youth shotgun day. check the 'hunting dates' thread for more info on this exact situation.

Top Bottom