Thank you From JORBA FEST Committee

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Fellow Mountain Bikers,

I'd like to say, thank you all from the JORBA Fest committee -- Dawn Casey (DD-), Jeff Mergler (Mergs), Chris Desanctis (Theferralkid), Ken Seebeck (Ken S), Steve Marencik (Shaggz), Bob Workman (Bob W) and Karen Workman. We were so surprised at the volume of folks that showed up and the enthusiasm for our event. It was so awesome to see so many kids burning up all those calories in the center courtyard. How cool was that????

After reading so many of your posts, I have to say it left me with a huge smile. When I read that the kids enjoyed it so much they wanted to bike more even when exhausted, some can't wait until "next week's" JORBA fest, the beginners who loved the trails, etc -- man, that is what it is all about. We wanted to bring you guys a festival that made everyone happy. We wanted to please everyone from the most advanced riders to the beginners and kids and get them excited about mountain biking!

I want to thank all of our sponsors -- Cycleworks, Marty's Reliable, Cycle Craft, Specialized, Giant, Subaru/Saturn of Mount Olive, Liquid Lightning, Montclair Bikery, Kent Bicycles, Bicycle Hub of Marlboro, Action Bicycle, HOSS, Jenn Green (Headbadges), MTBNJ.com and Waste Management. This would not have happened without the generousity of these businesses. Thank you so much!

Also, I want to thank all the volunteers who graciously helped out in any way they could. You guys were awesome and it helped us pull this off.

Being the first year we have done this, we were expecting about 250 people based on similar events in the area. We planned for 400. According to the estimate from the Park Superintendent and Park Police, we had between 800 and 1000 people! WOW! If it were not for the volunteers stepping up, we never would have been able to handle that volume of people and make it seem organized.

I want to send a HUGE shout out to Steve Filipponi (Stratocaster) for all his time, effort and love he puts into Stephens State Park. That guy has single handedly brought that park back for everyone's use. He is responsible for those awesome trails being open now and the great condition they are in. We were so happy the festival could use those trails for a lot of those group rides and the self guided rides. (If liked what you saw and you want to help Steve out with TM there, he would be most appreciative).

We also thank both Bob & Karen Workman and Chris Descantis for their stewardship of Allamuchy State Park and Deer Park. Three great parks in one area with great people stepping up to the plate taking care of them.

Thank you again -- Now I think its time to finish my beer and get some sleep. :D

Joe Scheneck
JORBA Bike Fest Committee Chairman

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Well said Joe! The festival was amazing. I have gained a lot of faith in the NJ Mountain Biking scene. JORBA, the fest committee, the sponsors, the volunteers and the attendees all came together for one day to ride and form a tighter community and it kicked ass. I was proud to be a part of it.

I would also like to make sure that everyone knows how much work Joe and Dawn put into this event. I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to make a list of the thankless jobs they took on. You two completely rock and should be very proud, not to mention very tired!

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
thanks for all of the effort that the JORBA crew put into the event. I had a blast and will be there next year for sure between the rides and entertainment I spent the entire day at the park.
also after doing the rides I will put this one my must ride again list.... :)
thanks again to all that made this happen.

Not So Fast

Great time

Thanks JORBA. I had a awesome time.

Jeff was great. Finally, someone explained the bunny hopping technique so that I can understand. My next problem will be remembering what he said.

I asked at the JORBA tent about membership dues and no one there at the time could answer. I suggest posting a schedule of the different membership dues and the swag that comes along with it.

LOST and FOUND. Lost my PlanetBike wireless comp at Stephens 11 o'clock ride. Anyone find it? I'm gonna start a new Lost and Found thread.

Last edited:

Mr_T

364 Days to JORBA Fest 2

+1 to that Shaggz

I would like to thank the JORBA Fest committee and all the volunteers and sponsors for making it all happen. I recently started MTBing again (3 weeks ago) after a 20 year hiatus. What a great time you put on for everyone Saturday, I had a blast...great people, great rides, great fun...great time.

I was asked to fill out a card asking what you could have done better, I still have it in my bag because I could not think of anything to add. Actually, now that I think about it....don't change a thing for JORBA Fest 2...save some money and don't print the cards.

-Marc

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I had a great time at the festival and I also really enjoyed leading the first beginners ride. It was so huge that we had to break it up into 2 groups. Rich was nice enough to lead the second group of riders. There were a few kids in my group and they are future mountain bikers in the making. One of them was right on my tail the entire time and just couldn't get enough. After the ride I got a lot of thumbs up and "thank yous" from the riders. The ride was slow but I wanted to make sure that nobody got left behind and everyone had a positive experience. The intent was to encourage mountain biking and despite the chaios and large volume of riders, we didn't lose anyone, thanks to the sweapers Chris and Jeff and there was literally a mile of smiles. I can't wait until next year and lead another group of future mountain bikers.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
All the JORBA Fest Committee personel deserve a huge Thank You from the biking masses.800 to 1000 peope who were able to roll into a great event. They got to do some riding that leaves you spent, (and still wanting to ride some more), get some food, and have some fun, no matter what age or skill set you happend to have. I had a blast, and rode some very sweet singletrack that was evidently skillfully made by and for people who love to ride. I too can't wait for the next one, though next week would not give me enough time to recover fully. Again just as some one who rides in NJ a huge Thank You to all involved.

dualfisted

Thanks again

And again and again and again and again and again times infinity. This was probably one of the best times I've ever had on a bicycle. My girlfriend was a little disappointed that she had never seen me this happy, so I didn't really know what to tell her. You guys rock and while I might not be recovered for "next weeks" JORBAfest, I'd certainly be solid for every other weeks JORBAfest. Thanks again folks, the people involved, the people who sponsored and the people who showed up with the right vibe. TJ

rayder

advanced ride was awesome

want to give a thanks to Nelson(phatbiker)? The advanced ride he led was great even though I waas bonking a litttle toward the end. He did a great job of altering his plans as necessary and I definitely want to take him up on his offer of givng a tour of the place again. The slippery rocks were awesome and i would never find that stuff on my own.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
All of the above thanks to volunteers, plus a special thanks to our beginner ride leaders: Ben Tufford, Fred Brown, Ruth Tummey, Maryanne Surowiec, Kathy Piedl, Jess Hoeverman, Beth Schwartz, Tony Wei, Jeff Haines and any other leaders that stepped up that day to help lead. It is a very generous gift to take the time to nurture the next generation of riders into mountain biking. These riders will surely remember and pass on the same generosity. :)

idbrian

Crotch Rot
So where can one acquire that awesome map of Allamuchy North that was up by the Jorba tent? Never seen that much detail before.

Para5-0

I just want to say changing the beginner trail to the 3 mile loop was a great idea. That loop was absolutely perfect to introduce a new Mountain Biker to the woods. Single track, inclines, declines, a few rocks, a few logs....It was perfect. The beginner group I led loved it. I think the first 4 mile loop we originally were going to use would have been WAY over the heads of the beginners. It may have discouraged them a bit as well. I can tell everyone had a great time by the smiles on their faces.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I just want to say changing the beginner trail to the 3 mile loop was a great idea. That loop was absolutely perfect to introduce a new Mountain Biker to the woods. Single track, inclines, declines, a few rocks, a few logs....It was perfect. The beginner group I led loved it. I think the first 4 mile loop we originally were going to use would have been WAY over the heads of the beginners. It may have discouraged them a bit as well. I can tell everyone had a great time by the smiles on their faces.

Well, the thanks go to RocknRollGirl (Ruth) and MARE45 (Maryanne) for suggesting the change and having the forethought to bring that issue to our attention.

The original beginner loop would have been okay had the rocks not been slippery from the rain the day before. Because just after that technical section (which we expected them to walk), the sweeping slightly downhill trail would have been awesome for beginners to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
So where can one acquire that awesome map of Allamuchy North that was up by the Jorba tent? Never seen that much detail before.

You can thank Bob Workman and Joe Gabor for that map. They put a ton of time and effort into that.

I want one, too! After all, Allamuchy is my favorite park. :D

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Brian -- did you join a group ride that day or did you go off on your own? Just curious.

I did the 12:15 Intermediate - Advanced ride through Stephens, i was in the last group of that ride, the big group.

You were right, i was too ambitious. Getting another ride in, checking out the festivities, and meeting people would have been too much for one day.

Anyways, my pace up the big Stephens climb clued me into the fact that i only needed to do one group ride.

Top Bottom