Tewksbury "Incident"

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Read this awesome gem on NJ.com:

"Young Tewksbury woman says bicyclists swarmed her car, screaming, cursing and beating on it"
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/08/young_tewksbury_woman_says_bic.html

Of course there are always three sides to every story, but regardless of what actually transpired what the general public will remember from this is that: "roadies are entitled pricks who don't deserve to be on the road", not "cyclists are humans that probably have families too, so you should probably avoid running them over".

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The scary part is the comments after the article.

Blair

People are jerks. I would throw my water bottle, but that's as far as I'd go. One billion years from now our sun will blow up and there will be no evidence of our existance when earth is incinerated no matter what you do, and we'll all be dead in 100 years anyway so relax and enjoy it(its not the end of the world, yet)

Dr Superb

It's terrible what happened if true. But it works both ways...

I had some driver lay on his horn while i was riding on some back country road in readington, i forget which. Holland Brook i believe. Maybe it was Kosiusco...

Guy screamed obscenities out his window, then after he passed me he decided to stop like he was going to get out and fight me. i felt very threatened.... in trying to think fast how to use my bike as a weapon, but its carbon so it may not hurt much. i'll get a steel roadie next time :)

I was out riding single file with my wife. She doesnt need to be a part of this BS...

I wish i was fast enough to whip out my phone and snap a pic of his license plate....makes me wish i wore my helmet cam on the road...

Luckily, this has been my only experience of an incident like this before.

Last edited:

MST.ESQ

I was in the car with a friend when we came upon a group ride in the burbs. He started honking and screaming that the group was in his way - at which time I not-so-politely reminded him that if he is going 50 in a 25 zone, the cyclists don't have enough time to call out "car back" and get out of his way. There are many ass-hats out there.

I got harassed on the road in my town. Fought back the urge to fubar the guy and called the cops. They were very supportive of me and went to the guy's house to read him the riot act. I know this because I followed them and could hear them ripping him a new one from a block away after the driver stated "cyclists should be on the sidewalk but this fag was in the road." WTF?!?! The cop was astute enough to point out that the MVC recommends that only children ride bikes on sidewalks since it would be a danger to old ladies to have adult cyclists on downtown sidewalks.

THATmanMANNY

She probably just got dumped by her roadie boyfriend who cheated on her with her mom whom he got pregnant so they went out looking for him?

i'm not sticking up for bicyclist but...

Words vs pics

So 20 people of the same kit and didn't even catch a name on it?

she's 20yrs old... they tend to exagerate

can the driver of lexus confirm this?

But the comments are outrageous! My road bike is posted for sale.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
was on that ride, and heard about it. word is that while she claims she wasn't going to run them over, she acted like it, and it wasn't a 'toot' of her horn either. they banged on her window, as she drove immediately next to the group to get through at a full stop crossing. roads were narrow with many blind rises and curves - even single file it would be hard to pass a group of 10. Here is the route, if you know the area

those blue and white jerzy guys wouldn't let me break into their pace line at the last crit either :cry: But they were quite gracious before and after the race.

oh, BTW the ride was to benefit the local police, rescue, and of course bicycle safety/awareness.

would love to hear the other side, rather than the rumor mill, provided by my wife who was chatting up a cop at one of the high-traffic crossings -(PD/FD/EMS support for this race was fantastic) and food tent eavesdropping.

in any case, i hope that they didn't damage her car (greasy finger prints? suspicious - used his handlebars? really) - just bust out the cell phone and start recording....

so i'll throw this out there, and start a vicious internet rumor: sounds like the parent's car got trashed by the BF that got dumped, and was looking for a way out? - this is what the internet is for ???

gtluke

The Moped
Just because I ride a bike doesn't mean I'm going to side with these bikers. They sound like total pricks. Blocking the road and not letting traffic past is DICK. You are not morally superior for that hour you ride your bike you prick, you all own cars too.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wish i was fast enough to whip out my phone and snap a pic of his license plate....makes me wish i wore my helmet cam on the road...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/technology/bicyclists-using-cameras-to-capture-accidents.html

While I agree with most pro-cyclist comments, I also have to say that, I don't know of a single cyclist, including myself, that obeys traffic laws on a regular basis. I have also never been on any road ride of 20+ people where we're not riding 3-4 abreast at many points during the ride. If a car comes by, we'll try to go single or double, but it takes a while. It goes both ways.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Chris(NJ)

I always chase down cars who scream something at me or honk at me. Only been able to catch and exchange words with 2 of them so far. I say, good for the cyclists. If people always take shit from others, they'll continue being abused. Stand up for yourself if you're not doing anything wrong.

The above article might be a bit of an extreme example but you just dont know what the driver did to prompt their response.

Blair

http://newjerseyhills.com/hunterdon_review/news/tewksbury-woman-recounts-cyclists-attack-on-vehicle/article_8f5ea778-dcdc-11e1-91de-001a4bcf887a.html

this seems to happen to her regularly (last paragraph) - i'll take back the rumor (i was being under-informed sarcastic)...the three races were three distances of the same 'ride' - 650ish people.

the car companies are talking about putting cameras in the cars..that should help?

You can see her picture in the car reflection in that article, she looks hot

MST.ESQ

Sorry guys, but this quote tells me everything I need to know: "I mean, it happens a lot, but normally they just get in your way and then move over where they flick you off and scream something, but I’ve never been surrounded before… It was scary.” Sounds like a spoiled, brain-dead, self-absorbed, no-good, entitled little b... Anyway, cyclists (me included) only flick you off and scream if you almost put them in a ditch flying by at 20-30 over the speed limit with only 3" of clearance. That probably explains why it was the second group that stopped her. Damn glad she finally got "scared" and now realizes she can't hide behind 2 tons of steel. Hopefully she learned a lesson from this.

There are a few drivers in my town that could use the same lesson as they just don't get the fact that bikes are permitted on the road and god forbid they have to wait for 2 seconds while you go around the open drainage grate on the road. Some drivers just don't use their f#%king heads - or are just too stupid to understand physics. Really.

The good thing about where I usually ride is the presence of 25-35mph speed limits and well-placed traffic lights. Love to see the scared look on people's faces when they see me catching up from behind. Even had one honk and yell out the window for no reason (as I was inside the 4' bike lane on the shoulder) then blow a red light after stopping in an attempt to avoid me last month. Why the hell did she even feel the need to say something? I was well outside of the lane of travel and only going 3-4 mph slower than she was.

Just because I ride a bike doesn't mean I'm going to side with these bikers. They sound like total pricks. Blocking the road and not letting traffic past is DICK. You are not morally superior for that hour you ride your bike you prick, you all own cars too.

I hope I don't make enemies here, but +1. Couldn't agree more. I've read the NJ MV bicycle manual, and I understand that a bike has every right of a car on the road. What they forget is that they also have every responsibility.

And don't get me started about the kids (and adults) in dark clothes at night. Hey get off my lawn!

Superfly100guy

I was on that ride and saw nothing but I had been on Rockaway Road at 9am not 10:30. I still don't know why after all that no police showed up to the finish line. The food, music etc went on til 3pm so plenty of time to investigate.

They weren't "standing up for themselves" or cyclists at all. they were just annoyed at being beeped at. These guys are a complete disgrace. You get upset so you gang up on a 20 year old girl, scare her and damage her car...then run away...yeah, way to fight the good fight, cowards. If they were in the right they should have waited for the cops to show up. I tell you what, that girls father is one angry bear right now. A-holes. I'm sure plenty of roadies are great guys but these are not them.

- Rob

pedals

My vote is "spoiled brat".....Yes, there are some roadie pricks, just as there are bad cops,etc.. every bunch has a few bad apples, but chill out for Gods sake. People don't even slow down for kids walking along the road anymore. I could go on & on but won't.

Top Bottom