Tern GSD e-cargo bike

de00304

New bike day! I just picked up a Tern GSD semi folding e-cargo bike. Really well executed design resulting in cargo bike with 400lb load capability in a standard bike footprint, with a lot of mtn bike tech integrated. Fits on the 1up too.

My hope is to replace lots of car trips with this bike. My kid loves riding on the back, and I think the wife is warming up to the bike as well :)
EE03B100-3888-4198-A42C-0B90B39C91AC.jpeg
1DB93619-ABD5-473D-B40F-5BDC61C5F2DC.jpeg
F61DD623-5218-4C03-84A8-B16DA6C4DD33.jpeg
0C865573-D498-4DB2-A17F-4BF5EBF241D8.jpeg
61694E91-4095-4EFF-AA55-6452EF2F52CA.jpeg
9D09C83E-9BFA-4443-9DAC-07E21C623660.jpeg
1CC7E211-E655-4150-8D64-183287DB86B8.jpeg
7DFFC29D-365E-4C5E-A752-763234DE2542.jpeg
8FFA9E21-1B69-473A-8496-94A1D6000785.jpeg

Kaleidopete

Did anyone mention to you the legality of the e-bike? I've heard they are still road illegal.

NEW JERSEY’S E-BIKE LAW FOR THE ROAD
E-bikes are defined as a “motorized bicycles,” and are subject to
the registration, licensing, and insurance requirements that
apply to motor vehicles. However, New Jersey’s Department of
Motor Vehicles does not recognize e-bikes as vehicles with
these requirements and has no system for supplying registration
and licensing. Therefore, riding an electric bicycle in New Jersey
is illegal."

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Cool!

there is a guy ebike commuting along route 202 down here. nobody bothers him so far.
I'd be nervous in the left turn lane. is there a rear light/blinky or just reflectors? can't tell by the pic.

mustclime

You are going to get arrested, put in prison, and then you will be meet a man named Bubba who thinks you have a pretty mouth.....
In short e bike = prison rape! ;)

THATmanMANNY

Thats nice. Enjoy. I would love me one if my daily trips were local.

Is it designed to store vertical like that?

de00304

Thats nice. Enjoy. I would love me one if my daily trips were local.

Is it designed to store vertical like that?
Yes it is, the rear frame has 4 little posts with rubber feet on them. I can fit it in my garage without having to stand it up, so I am not using that feature. While it does stand nicely, it can be easily knocked over so you would want to either tether it to a wall or have it away from any foot traffic

Kaleidopete

Nah this is a “type 1” ebike, meaning only pedal assist. No throttle so I think that doesn’t apply...
Some more info I saw on the NJMV website.

Motorized bicycle (moped): license

A motorized bicycle (moped) is defined by law as a pedal bicycle with a helper motor, electric or gas-powered, capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface. A moped has a maximum displacement of less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc)(no more than 1.5 brake horsepower).

Although mopeds resemble bicycles, mopeds are heavier and handle differently. They usually require longer braking distances to stop, don’t turn as quickly and are harder to pedal than bicycles.

If you have a basic New Jersey driver’s license, you do not need a moped license. You can ride a moped utilizing your driver’s license.

Motorized bicycle (moped): registration

If a vehicle meets all the conditions as defined by law (see above) it may be registered as a moped. Vehicles without pedals that are less than 50 ccs cannot be registered as mopeds; rather, they must be registered as motorcycles, regardless of engine size.

To register your moped, please visit a motor vehicle agency with the following documents:

A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO).
Title or registration.
If it isn't titled or registered, you must obtain a notarized statement from the previous owner that includes the following information:
Name of seller;
Date of sale; and
Make, model, year, serial number and the purchase price

Top Bottom