TENTATIVE Campmor H2H race series 07

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
just curious, do these (or any) races have mechanisms to address better riders from racing outside/below their class?

They snag sandbaggers in the beginner class by making them move up if they place top 5 in 5 races (or something like that). I don't think the same applies for Sport to Expert to Semi-Pro to Pro to Jesus On A Bicycle. I could be wrong.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there sure were some ringers in the beginner class at the LMC this past year.

B.L.

Great to see so much chatter about the series! I've been working with the series for 12 years now (formally the New Jersey State Championship Series) and it's cool to see it back on a definite upswing with attendance and new folks entering the sport.

I am with Team Bulldog and the Bulldog Rump at KSVP is definitely ON again for 2007 (June 24). There will not be a Running of the Dogs primarily because we were really spreading ourselves too thin, but we are planning on bringing it back for the future. (Thanks for all who supported that race and helped it grow from 47 racers in 2002 to 213 racers in 2006!) One of the areas we are going to focus on is our NJ State High School and Middle School MTB Championship Race and Kids' Race, scheduled for May 12 at KSVP.

Anyway, back to the series...

A big concern for all promoters is the sandbaggers and we work hard to keep racers in their appropriate classes. It is not an easy task. One helpful tool is USA Cycling and annual licenses, but unfortunately some folks will perpetually purchase one-days (even if the overall cost is greater in the long run!) just so they can race down and beat up on people. We have been able to identify some of these individuals and over the years and enforced a number of mandatory upgrades. Rules are in place to help direct racers as when they "need" to upgrade, but unfortunately some people would rather break these rules so they can go to work each Monday and tell all their colleagues that they "won" the race yesterday. So, the short of it is, we (the promoters) do realize it is a concern and we are trying to help keep the races fun.

I hope to see more new faces out there for 2007! As Maurice said, it's all for you, and the challenge really makes it fun!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
fred, i'm with chris. you would do reasonably well in a sport class race this weekend if there was one for you to enter.

personally, i won't race in a singlespeed division unless prize money is the same as ability based categories. unless your time is equivalent to the top ability-category riders, your victory is really just a consolation prize. it's kind of like the handicapped category, when the riders really aren't handicapped(by their bikes at least). that's just my opinion though. i've said this before, but singlespeeds are just a bike, not a handicap.

ArmyOfNone

Dude, you'd be fine in Sport SS. Trust me.:D

You're allowed to race on the SS in the "regular" classes too, you know.

Well if thats the case...should roll in beginner just to get a feel for it or jump rite into the sport class?

...DUH! i should have figuered i could ride my SS in a regular class. I think i have bumped into 1 to many trees. It makes me wonder. :)

ArmyOfNone

fred, i'm with chris. you would do reasonably well in a sport class race this weekend if there was one for you to enter.

personally, i won't race in a singlespeed division unless prize money is the same as ability based categories. unless your time is equivalent to the top ability-category riders, your victory is really just a consolation prize. it's kind of like the handicapped category, when the riders really aren't handicapped(by their bikes at least). that's just my opinion though. i've said this before, but singlespeeds are just a bike, not a handicap.

that makes sense. we ride w/ guys with geared bikes all the time. no difference.

SS for life! (we should put that on a t shirt or something)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Personally I'm going to start right in the Sport class. I figure anyone who can actually complete the 50k without puking is Sport enough. Aside from that, I'd prefer to have the race be a tad longer - push my limts and all that jazz. We'll see how it goes, of course.

If I were to start in Beginner and came in top 5, I would jump up immediately. In the astoundingly extremely unlikely event that I placed top 5 in my first Sport class, I would very possibly move up to Expert the next race. I don't really get jollies from beating people I know I'm faster than. Seriously though, that's just not going to happen anyway.

ArmyOfNone

ill give beginner a shot. well see how it goes and move from there. do all the races start at different times?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Why not?

ill give beginner a shot. well see how it goes and move from there. do all the races start at different times?
Based on how long you've been riding, there's nothing wrong with trying a Beginner race for your first one.

The races do start at different times. The Beginner race is often the first of the day.

Going hard on a group ride and racing are definitely different beasts. I had been riding with guys who were podiuming in Sport races when I did my first Beginner race, and I was still surprised at how fast it was, particularly the start.

MTB races are the inverse of road races: They start with a field sprint.:getsome:

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Based on how long you've been riding, there's nothing wrong with trying a Beginner race for your first one.

The races do start at different times. The Beginner race is often the first of the day.

Going hard on a group ride and racing are definitely different beasts. I had been riding with guys who were podiuming in Sport races when I did my first Beginner race, and I was still surprised at how fast it was, particularly the start.

MTB races are the inverse of road races: They start with a field sprint.:getsome:

exactly what chris said above. when the race started, everyone, and i mean everyone (except me, of course) took off. when i got to the first turn, a quick little up-hill that shouldn't have been a problem i figured out why. there was an eight or nine person pile up that i got jammed up in. it bottle necked the back two-thirds of the field.

going hard on a group ride and racing really are quite different. like i said, seven miles is hardly a ride on a group ride...but take that same seven miles and hammer as hard as you can with no rest, and some guy breathing down your neck trying to pass you and well, then you got a ball game. er, race. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
exactly what chris said above. when the race started, everyone, and i mean everyone (except me, of course) took off. when i got to the first turn, a quick little up-hill that shouldn't have been a problem i figured out why. there was an eight or nine person pile up that i got jammed up in. it bottle necked the back two-thirds of the field.

going hard on a group ride and racing really are quite different. like i said, seven miles is hardly a ride on a group ride...but take that same seven miles and hammer as hard as you can with no rest, and some guy breathing down your neck trying to pass you and well, then you got a ball game. er, race. :D

Good comments.

What was the LM course? I'd be interested in riding it. I assume a good amount of yellow trail but anyone know the exact details?

Maurice

Good comments.

What was the LM course? I'd be interested in riding it. I assume a good amount of yellow trail but anyone know the exact details?

Start at the pavilion by the lake; yellow trail counter-clockwise, then at the top of the switchbacks (where you would normally veer right on the fireroad) go straight down red (I think). Make a sharp right (funny how I'd almost miss it each lap... after three laps you'd think it sunk in but no...) keep going straight until it goes downhill (rooty); when the trail levels make the next hairpin right turn which should dump you on the green trail; keep going in the direction you're dumped (doesn't sound good) and at the top make a left on yellow (still a fireroad at that point); keep going on yellow until you hit orange (I think...), first left; go up, then down along the ledge, at the bottom sharp right after the bridge, you're back on green keep going over the bridges (interesting when they were wet) then left on yellow to the finish.

No technical difficulties whatsoever.

Still lots of fun.

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Start at the pavilion by the lake; yellow trail counter-clockwise, then at the top of the switchbacks (where you would normally veer right on the fireroad) go straight down red (I think). Make a sharp right (funny how I'd almost miss it each lap... after three laps you'd think it sunk in but no...) keep going straight until it goes downhill (rooty); when the trail levels make the next hairpin right turn which should dump you on the green trail; keep going in the direction you're dumped (doesn't sound good) and at the top make a left on yellow (still a fireroad at that point); keep going on yellow until you hit orange (I think...), first left; go up, then down along the ledge, at the bottom sharp right after the bridge, you're back on green keep going over the bridges (interesting when they were wet) then left on yellow to the finish.

No technical difficulties whatsoever.

Still lots of fun.

Maurice

Maurice,

Thanks, I may do this over the weekend just to check out the loop. So this does not go on the new orange switchback trail, I assume? It sounds like the ending goes through the ravine (on green) where that orange switchback trail crosses over.

Norm

Maurice

Maurice,

Thanks, I may do this over the weekend just to check out the loop. So this does not go on the new orange switchback trail, I assume? It sounds like the ending goes through the ravine (on green) where that orange switchback trail crosses over.

Norm

Norm,

yes it does take you on the orange switchbacks. You come down the switchbacks, keep going on green and come back down the other way, sort of a figure 8 without crossing paths.

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hmmm, ok I'll have to get out there and check it out soon. Thanks.

B.L.

You guys are all going to do great at your first race! You really seem to have an incredible attitude going into it and this will make it that much more fun for you.

The races this year will each start with Beginners going off at 9 am and then the other categories going from there. The SS Expert Class will offer $$ for top finishers along the same pay scale as all other Expert Classes. Sport SS will have Medals and possibly some swag, depending on the promoter.

As many indicated, you can run a SS bike in the regular categories. As a matter of fact, Rob W. (Team Bulldog) scored an overall podium finish on his SS in the Sport 19-29 category. That's good stuff!

All Campmor H2H Races can be found on www.bikereg.com as well as the Campmor Site (www.campmor.com). They will all be up and running by the end of January '07. (There is also a list of races on www.teambulldog.com).

Hope to see you out there and bring your friends!

ArmyOfNone

as always

Thanks for the great pointers. I really lookin forward to this season.

It may b a little early yet but...what type of preperation should i be doing for a race. Should i be more regimented or continue to hammer away with the big dogs on our big group rides?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
for now, i would say just have fun. don't want to mentally burn yourself out on mtbing. to specifically prepare for mtb races though, i would suggest going to sourlands, getting out of the car, getting ready, and just charging straight up the fireroad climb. course designers tend to like to start you out on climbs. it's somewhat for the better though, because it seperates the contenders from the people just out to have a good time, and tends to get everyone singlefile before the singletrack starts. after charging up the climb, keep pedaling. if you reallly want a good position going into the singletrack, you need to be able to beat a good amount of guys up that first climb, and still have the energy to keep them behind you.

also try doing a few rides non-stop. the stops on group rides aren't there in races. granted, j likes to keep you moving:D , but....

Top Bottom