Ten things I think I think...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
3) I Completely agree, I absolutly hated the mixed heat. Riding a FS rig I was not getting up the hills as fast as the SS behind me, however I did not feel I should have to get out of the way for every single SS as soon as the approached me. After all us geared bikes our riding our own race at our own pace. I didn't try to rudely barge past SS at every possible moments on the downhills.

what if those singlespeeds aren't racing in the singlespeed class? i don't think it's unheard of or completely out of line to happen to brush a competitor when passing in an xc race. as long as you don't push them into a tree. it IS a race, not a high speed, friendly group ride. that said, there alot of douche bags out there. if there were a way to weed them out that would be great, but competition seems to bring out all the douche baggery in them without notice.

waits excitedly for brett to chime in on passing etiquette. :getsome:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I learned my off road etiquitte from national and world enduro champions.If you don't show respect you're going down period! In the 3 events i've attended this season i've had to purposely put riders to the ground in every one.On the flipside i've been thanked again and again by faster riders who seem to love my ability to hear them approaching,assess the speed differential,figure what line they're looking at and move over before even being asked.There are too many classes in xc.If it was just open pro/am people would relise they're nothing and just have fun. In the current format these limp dick pencil pushers all have a chance at some 3rd place ribbon in their class that will certainly imprees that know-nothing fat chick in the cubicle next door on Monday, so they go at you hell bent. I would like to say that I give everyone multiple chances to get the F!@# away from me before they get the beatdown, I am a sweetheart deep down.................

Glancing Aft

I learned my off road etiquitte from national and world enduro champions.If you don't show respect you're going down period! In the 3 events i've attended this season i've had to purposely put riders to the ground in every one.On the flipside i've been thanked again and again by faster riders who seem to love my ability to hear them approaching,assess the speed differential,figure what line they're looking at and move over before even being asked.There are too many classes in xc.If it was just open pro/am people would relise they're nothing and just have fun. In the current format these limp dick pencil pushers all have a chance at some 3rd place ribbon in their class that will certainly imprees that know-nothing fat chick in the cubicle next door on Monday, so they go at you hell bent. I would like to say that I give everyone multiple chances to get the F!@# away from me before they get the beatdown, I am a sweetheart deep down.................

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well Put!

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
If it was just open pro/am people would relise they're nothing and just have fun.

I don't think there's a single race course in the H2H series that could withstand a 200-person sport-class starting wave. I think fighting for position in a group that size would result in even more conflict than the current system.

Putting riders down, bumping riders, hitting others with water bottles... all high-strung behavior that perpetuates the same kind of absurdity. You realize that you're part of the problem when you race like that, right?

Break the cycle. Laugh it off, and get your revenge by beating them fairly. It's just amateur racing, after all.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Putting riders down, bumping riders, hitting others with water bottles... all high-strung behavior that perpetuates the same kind of absurdity. You realize that you're part of the problem when you race like that, right?

Break the cycle. Laugh it off, and get your revenge by beating them fairly. It's just amateur racing, after all.

This is all part of the sport, either deal with it or don't do it. I am not encouraging it and I don't practice it, but if I encounter it I deal with it at that moment.
Shit happens, you will never have a perfect race, this is all part of it, mechanicals, bumping, assholes not letting you pass or assholes passing you without warning, crashing, dehydration, pain, etc. If you have ever practiced any other sport competitively you can agree that this behavior takes place in all amateur and professional sports, from Football, Hockey, Baseball, etc. I have many stories of brawls and fights from all the sports I practiced while growing up. I look back at them and I laugh. Good memories & good stories.

Even though some of us say we are not competitive, (and I say that all the time, I just enter the races to race myself) we are human and there is a small competitive seed in all of us, so at one point or another it comes out and in some cases manifests in not the nicest way.

I agree with jbogner that we should not retaliate in the same way, 'cause we are just being part of the problem and not the solution, but I also understand that sometimes you are caught in the "heat of the moment" and you are not thinking straight.

I don't think any of this is personal so you should be able to laugh it off at the end of the race or like jbogner said, just beat that guy fair and square on your bike. Nothing is more satisfying than that.

Ten things I think I think relative to the Chain Stretcher.

1.) New York needs to reorganize their highway naming/numbering system. Why is there a 9A, 9D, 9S , and 9W. Then a 17, 17S, 17A, and 17M. These same roads also have names like Lord of all Idiots Memorial Highway. I shouldn't need an Enigma Code breaker to navigate through the state. Exits should be numbered with sign telling me where the ramp goes.

It only gets worse as you go farther North...this is about as astute an observation of New York's highway nomenclature as I have ever seen. Still chuckling about it...:rofl:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
This has been interesting reading.

A couple of years ago at Kittatinny, Brian L. was giving the pre-race talk to the Experts and one thing he said stuck in my head and seems to really sum up my view of a lot of the race etiquette issues that are being aired in this thread: "If you're really such a rock star, you'll get by the guy eventually."

ArmyOfNone

This has been interesting reading.

A couple of years ago at Kittatinny, Brian L. was giving the pre-race talk to the Experts and one thing he said stuck in my head and seems to really sum up my view of a lot of the race etiquette issues that are being aired in this thread: "If you're really such a rock star, you'll get by the guy eventually."

Most think they are rock stars but are not even close. Those are the guys who get into trouble.

Just be smart about what you are doing thats all i ask.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I'm just cruisin these events and stayin outta the way cause others are in it for the year and i still get many asshats givin me s!@# repeatedly.You gotta understand puttin somebody down on a bike is hard. You don't just square em up and then blast away like in moto.You need to put them away or they gonna come back at you hard, and i'm not a big guy.This is for special occasions(although its seems mandatory lately) and most of the time i just crack some smartass comment about their behavior and wait for them to ride off or make a mistake then pass.

Top Bottom