Tell me your best saves or how you’ve progressed

one piece crank

There is a skatepark near me and I always wondered if I should taken my MTB there. I'm pushing 50 so would need to be careful. Wouldn't know how to start even. Any ideas?
You can start with basics anywhere. I strained my back two weeks ago, and just got back on the bike this week. Mostly doing core work but I need to have a little fun (I’m only 57).

Last edited:

pkovo

My daughter discovered BMX racing a couple years back so I started riding the BMX track with her on a DJ. mostly just practices, but I’ll enter a race once in a while. Also started riding pump tracks with her in the off season for her training and the flow trails etc..

This has done wonders for my progression out on the trail. I pump and jump stuff on the trail that I previously just rode over. Makes trail riding a lot more fun. These skills transfer to trail riding so well. I still need work, but way better than I was just a couple years back

Bonus, there is a photog at the track for many of the races, so I get to see myself in action.

E9981A09-4001-4FE6-B209-072F3506A3A5.jpeg

Citytrikeguy

My daughter discovered BMX racing a couple years back so I started riding the BMX track with her on a DJ. mostly just practices, but I’ll enter a race once in a while. Also started riding pump tracks with her in the off season for her training and the flow trails etc..

This has done wonders for my progression out on the trail. I pump and jump stuff on the trail that I previously just rode over. Makes trail riding a lot more fun. These skills transfer to trail riding so well. I still need work, but way better than I was just a couple years back

Bonus, there is a photog at the track for many of the races, so I get to see myself in action.

View attachment 186463
Looking good 👍🏼

serviceguy

I fell in a creek attempting to step up on a rock bridge while riding my el gravelachi last week, clipped and with drop bars 2 minutes into my ride. I consider progression that I rode the same bridge at the end of the ride on my way home. I don't have pictures but I've done it before so you can believe me.

ebarker9

Progression? No.

Rode Allamuchy off of 517 over the weekend and specifically Rollie Pollie. Wound up getting off and walking a couple of spots that are well within my ability level and I used to ride on a regular basis. Of course it's never a bad idea to use discretion vs riding something that you're not comfortable on and getting injured, but I'm a much better rider than when I used to ride this and on much better equipment so this feels like...regression. Also spoke to another rider who was encouraging me to try the alternate line rollers off of the part of the cardiac climb leading up to Rollie Pollie, but I just found it too intimidating.

Current thoughts:
-I've been riding mostly Dickerson Mine and Mt Creek, primarily the same trails at the same speed for 90% of my riding. Need to branch out more often.
-Strength and fitness aren't there to feel "fresh" and strong enough to ride some of these features the way that I want to. And I don't trust myself to crash/bail with any level of athleticism.
-Riding skills can always be better. I'm decent at low speed technical riding but certain times of features sketch me out and I bail too soon. Terrible at jumping. Need to get to High Bridge more often.

Anyone else trying to improve?

frug

Anyone else trying to improve?
Definitely. I love riding downhill tech but get sketched out on the flat and uphill tech. I just keep thinking about pedal striking and falling backwards on the uphills.

Also bad at jumping. I can’t seem to generate enough pop to clear larger jumps. I can get airborne…but not for long. This is why I almost never attempt doubles with a gap.

Top Bottom