Tell me your best saves or how you’ve progressed

Citytrikeguy

Since there’s already a thread about peoples injuries I want to hear about peoples successes.

Have you recently acquired a new skill or just surprised yourself by doing something difficult that now seems easy?

Have you recently bailed yourself out of something sketchy avoiding certain disaster?

I recently had a good save. I was rolling over a large mound blindly (always scope out your features) and it had a sheer backside. I nearly went OTB but somehow used some body english to shove the front wheel out in front of me. This episode is what made me want to start this thread.

used some body english to shove the front wheel out in front of me.

Being able to separate body motion from bike motion is an excellent skill.
I was on a clinic/ride with @Jefflenosky and he described how pulling the bike up/pushing out when the OTB feeling starts is a goto for him - saved me a couple times.

@jShort once said, "Just keep pedaling" while i was in some rock tech at the scout camp.
I didn't realize i was letting the bike settle between rocks, and losing all momentum.
Use ratcheting if a full stroke isn't possible.
Great tip.

Being able to separate body motion from bike motion is an excellent skill.
I was on a clinic/ride with @Jefflenosky and he described how pulling the bike up/pushing out when the OTB feeling starts is a goto for him - saved me a couple times.

@jShort once said, "Just keep pedaling" while i was in some rock tech at the scout camp.
I didn't realize i was letting the bike settle between rocks, and losing all momentum.
Great tip.
"just keep pedaling" is good advice. I find shifting into 1 gear harder than you think, when going through rock gardens and rooty sections will maintain momentum, instead of trying to spin through.

Last edited:
I've discovered that it's possible to ride the top tube when your feet slip off the pedals upon landing a jump.
I've also discovered that sex isn't possible that same night...

giphy.gif

I have a "good save" pretty much every time I ride fugawe or farny with @JimN

Learning how to track stand...probably the #1 most helpful thing I have learned that has improved my ability in tech....And not that im just sitting paused/track standing...but the ability to momentarily pause...reset...keep the bike balanced. What I used to find really hard, has gotten less so.

I can hop much higher logs now after not only learning the proper technique...(I mean thats not some secret, you can watch 1000 videos on that.) But practicing it over and over....finding that correct speed where your brain does the math and is confident that you will clear it.

what I used to think was a steep incline has been totally redefined by:
years of riding at wildcat
12 speeds/50T first gears
vastly superior tires.

For me just lots of practice...which in turn build confidence and keeps you from hesitating. I like to use the example of the orange climb from the batcave lot....shortly into the climb there is a rock step. Most people have trouble with this when the first come to wildcat. I get it like 99% of the time now. Its not that im so amazingly skilled...I just know in my head..."i have done this 1000 times, there is little reason to even think about it...just send it and it will work out" I mean yes there is technique to clearing these kinds of features, but confidence helps alot.
Great tip.
very good advice

Following someone who knows how to flow through trails can really help your skill at maintaining a steady speed. Practicing braking hard without skidding is another important thing to learn imho. But I will agree with above postings about balance and track standing as being very important abilities that have helped my riding. The ability to get off the saddle and let the bike flow under you an only be done when you have good balance and i believe its one of the most important skills I learned in the past. 😢 now I just need to get it back. Ride, ride, ride!!!

Track stand, balance, blah, blah, blah...
TRAINING WHEELS....BoooM! I just blew your mind...

What Utah said. We've both mentioned numerous times how much better you get just by learning to track stand. It's not just track standing in a rock garden to reposition, but just the increased balance you get by learning how to do it. I also noticed a great improvement in my tech riding after getting into rock climbing. You don't realize how important a strong core is for riding until you ride when your core is really sore. Obviously the most important thing is just riding lots of tech though, preferably with people who are better than you.

It terms of best saves, this was either last year or 2020, but I was riding on this rocky ridge up north somewhere, and there is a substantial drop to the left. There is a big rock on the ridge that forces you close to the edge. I have ridden this many times, but for some reason, one of the cracks just grabbed my front wheel and spun it, and I went over the bars in probably one of the worst places in NJ to go over the bars. It was slow motion, and as it started, I was sure I was totally fucked. Fortunately, I went straight up and over, and I managed to get both hands on this big rock to stop myself, and my bike just kept flipping. I landed on my feet, and my bike fell harmlessly off to the right side instead of off the edge to the left. I've had a couple of close call OTB's where I managed to land on my feet, but never in a more precarious place.

My good save was last week on a wet slippery climb,
at the steepest section I lost my line of choice due to an unplanned bounce off a rock sending the front wheel
much higher in the air than I've ever been and left me still peddling just on the rear wheel,
I was able to quickly remedy the situation and regain control of the bike and not die, but I had to walk the last ten feet.

I've discovered that it's possible to ride the top tube when your feet slip off the pedals upon landing a jump.
I've also discovered that sex isn't possible that same night...
So is that considered progression or a save? Can probably go both ways

Obviously the most important thing is just riding lots of tech though, preferably with people who are better than you.

Sooo many suggestions will likely come to the OP he could prolly design a two year progressive plan and still not hit all the notes. The above reco is all one needs, imo.

And mid section work cause no good Russian calls it core.

For the last few years I've been riding more technical terrain, often hitting drops, rollers and jumps on "regular" trail rides. As much as I hate to admit it, my reflexes aren't as quick now that I'm pushing 50. Last year I had two nasty crashes, one resulting in a broken vertebrae. Even though I've ridden clipless for over 20 years, I was unable to unclip quick enough to avoid injury. This year I decided to switch to flats 100% of the time. A few things happened that were eye opening:

1. I dramatically improved my bike control and jumping skills.
2. My toes no longer go numb on long rides or in the winter like they did when I wore SPD shoes.
3. Life is just easier. I went on a 3 day bike trip and wore one pair of FiveTens the entire time- at the bike park, on the trails, out to dinner, around the pool...

Last edited:
Due in no small part to the biggest loser and the dry January on here, I lit a fire under me and really worked on fitness and skills this year for our big spring trip to ride in WV close to where I grew up. I had 2 goals, to clean a hill I hadn't been able to since grad school and to PR an awesome long hairy descent.

Cleaned the hill:
1654296849769.jpeg

And knocked 2 min off of a previous 9 min record on the descent.
1654296911153.jpeg

Thanks for the help guys!

My biggest trail progressions come from not being on the trail. Park Bike, DJ, Trials, Fixed Gear, etc are like accelerated skills training. 1 day at a Skatepark could teach you more about bike/body position than a lifetime in the woods.

My biggest trail progressions come from not being on the trail. Park Bike, DJ, Trials, Fixed Gear, etc are like accelerated skills training. 1 day at a Skatepark could teach you more about bike/body position than a lifetime in the woods.
There is a skatepark near me and I always wondered if I should taken my MTB there. I'm pushing 50 so would need to be careful. Wouldn't know how to start even. Any ideas?

There is a skatepark near me and I always wondered if I should taken my MTB there. I'm pushing 50 so would need to be careful. Wouldn't know how to start even. Any ideas?

Swap the tires for slicks if you do so you don't wash out and break your teeth.

Back
Top Bottom