Telemark skiing/rentals?

Zaskar

I volunteer at Shawnee and will be spending the next 10 weekends there as my elder son is doing their race development program. Trying to locate a place the rents telemark gear so I can give it a go...anyone know of a place? Been skiing my entire life minus four years on a snowboard and have always wanted to try it.

I'm a size 42 boot in case anyone has a setup getting dusty.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bummer. I just gave away a boatload of mid 2000's tele gear about a year ago...skis, boots, etc... Can't remember if I gave it to @axcxnj or somebody else.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
if you arent searching locally, try the mountaineer up in keene valley, NY they demo AT equipment, and im pretty sure have some Telemark stuff also

www.mountaineer.com

Also, Plattekill mountain in the catskills does events where they teach telemark technique..i think they might rent, or at least know someone who does.

@Delish offered up his gear a few years back, but we had to pass on it. not sure where it ended up.

Zaskar

if you arent searching locally, try the mountaineer up in keene valley, NY they demo AT equipment, and im pretty sure have some Telemark stuff also

www.mountaineer.com

Also, Plattekill mountain in the catskills does events where they teach telemark technique..i think they might rent, or at least know someone who does.

@Delish offered up his gear a few years back, but we had to pass on it. not sure where it ended up.

Thanks for the suggestions. Was looking locally but since it's not nearly as popular as DH I'm coming up empty.
Need to read more into Tele vs AT... Is it just the binding? Can you drop knee on a AT setup?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Frankly, tele in the east is IMO not really worth the effort. Tele is super fun in waist deep powder but fairly miserable on east coast groomers. Harder to lay down a firm edge.
Does Shawnee have an XC center? That might be a more fun way to kill time while your kiddo is racing.

www.powder.com/stories/endangered-tele-skiers/

That opinion is coming from somebody who used to do 30+ days a year in the Western US and it's one I happen to share as well. After years of Tele-only with big fat skis I bought some stiff skinny Volkl's when I moved east. Frankly, I think skiing in in the East isn't really worth the effort (except teaching our little ones). I realize that all sounds super snobby.

HOWEVER, if you enjoy learning new things and might otherwise be bored doing laps at Shawnee, I highly recommend giving it a try. tele skiing made me a much better downhill skiier

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the suggestions. Was looking locally but since it's not nearly as popular as DH I'm coming up empty.
Need to read more into Tele vs AT... Is it just the binding? Can you drop knee on a AT setup?

you could look into a randonee set up too. but its still not tele.

Zaskar

Nope.

Frankly, tele in the east is IMO not really worth the effort. Tele is super fun in waist deep powder but fairly miserable on east coast groomers. Harder to lay down a firm edge.
Does Shawnee have an XC center? That might be a more fun way to kill time while your kiddo is racing.

I hear on you Tele skiing on East Coast ice/groomers but it is what it is. Kind of like riding a CX bike on MTB trails?

Frankly, I think skiing in in the East isn't really worth the effort (except teaching our little ones). I realize that all sounds super snobby.

HOWEVER, if you enjoy learning new things and might otherwise be bored doing laps at Shawnee, I highly recommend giving it a try. tele skiing made me a much better downhill skiier

No, not super snobby at all..... :D

That's the idea...keep from getting bored as I need to be on the "mountain" during the day.

Top Bottom