Technical Riding, Balance, Endurance?

xc62701

If it's your goal to work on any of these three things there's one thing you should be doing:

SNOW RIDING!!!

The past couple of weekends have been great for it. Do it with or without studs. Of course studs help. But there's no better training for balance I think. Just picture yourself riding down a trail where your front wheel and back wheel are constantly doing their own thing and you need to stay upright. It surely helps.

As far as technical riding - think about all those roots that are bad in wet weather being even worse with ice and snow. It does tend to smooth out some of the techy stuff, but it also makes other areas worse.

And of course the endurance and spinning ability gets worked on as you slog though some of the nasty stuff. It takes spinning some nice circles to ride in these conditions. So....GET OUT THERE!!!

Amen, brother.... Conditions at Sourland have been awesome... Some might consider it crazy to ride Sourland in the snow and ice. On the contrary, 2-3 inches of snow takes the edge off the many rock gardens, and as long as the snow isn't sheet ice, it's generally packed snow, making for excellent rolling conditions. Key is the temperature, though... It needs to stay below freezing (IMO); otherwise it's an unholy mess.

Chimney Rock... same thing... I've had several awesome rides over the past few weeks.

Like you say... "I'd rather be in the woods"... Peace.
BB

lmckee

I've really been wanting to get some snow riding in this year. Only problem is that we haven't had any snow down here in delaware yet. I guess I'll just have to wait.:mad:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I've really been wanting to get some snow riding in this year. Only problem is that we haven't had any snow down here in delaware yet. I guess I'll just have to wait.:mad:

It works in sand as well, and better landing than ice if you spill. So make the most of what you have. It's all good.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
good call. Every time i go out lately its been in the snow and ice.
I just keep telling myself "Imagine how fast you will be riding these trails when they are dry and dusty".

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
winter is honestly my favorite time to ride. the main reason: fewer people on the trails. i also think its a good time to hit those technical areas that give me issues. i love riding the sourlands in the winter.

as it was said before - the snow fills in some of the gaps and it makes some lines a little easier. it gives you a chance to find your line now, and work it out for the summer conditions.

lmckee

It works in sand as well, and better landing than ice if you spill. So make the most of what you have. It's all good.

I don't really have any sand either, I'm right by White Clay, Iron Hill, and Fair hill. It's ok though, it's snowing right now.:)

THATmanMANNY

Riding the past two days have been real fun. First year/winter riding in conditons like that. It adds balancing acts in your ride and lets you play with your air pressure and trying to stay seated and not over torque while climbing so your rear doesn't give out on you. Still got to go pretty fast in the snow. However, you guys say its good to ride the rock with snow... I haven't tried rocky trails with snow yet but from my take I think it would be slippery, no? That's why I avoided CR on sat.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
However, you guys say its good to ride the rock with snow... I haven't tried rocky trails with snow yet but from my take I think it would be slippery, no? That's why I avoided CR on sat.

it can get more slippery - i think it depends on the snow type you are riding on (crunchy icy stuff versus fine powder, or wet slushy snow). i find myself thinking alittle more about bike position and handling much more, so when summer comes around, i'll have worked my balance a little bit more than usual.

give CR or the sourlands a shot - its a real good time (sourlands are great). my last ride at CR - everything was covered in crunchy icy snow. it was a slow go, really loud, but real fun. my last ride at the sourlands we only had a dusting of some fine powder, and it definitely made the rock gardens a little trickier, but pretty entertaining.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't tried rocky trails with snow yet but from my take I think it would be slippery, no? That's why I avoided CR on sat.

I think rocky trails are easlier with snow, it makes the surface smother and more homogenous. You are not teetering on rocks but riding over them like cement poured over rocks. With the past snow's I have been to CR and found good riding. Ice will make you slow down but hasn't brought rides to a hault.

Ian F

But you sure have MUD! We were in Fairhill on Saturday... what a mess... We were supposed to ride White Clay but it was closed for hunting and ended up down the road in Fairhill. Crackhead Bob was... interesting...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been ss at deer park and for the most part it was soft and fluffy then came last thurs. and a hole diffrent ride which was slushy, next came freeze and it turned crunchy. Shame on you if your not out getting your riding time in due to conditions because you couldn't ask for any better. It seems every ride has something new to it even though I riding the same place. This is also a good time to explore off trail in new areas. Can't agree more about skill and fitness getting stonger, RIDE ON!

xc62701

I've been ss at deer park and for the most part it was soft and fluffy then came last thurs. and a hole diffrent ride which was slushy, next came freeze and it turned crunchy. Shame on you if your not out getting your riding time in due to conditions because you couldn't ask for any better. It seems every ride has something new to it even though I riding the same place. This is also a good time to explore off trail in new areas. Can't agree more about skill and fitness getting stonger, RIDE ON!

Exaclty - this time of year it really doesn't matter how or where you ride - just get out there!!!

Top Bottom