tech question...

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
the other day i was riding hartshorne and my bike started to do something odd. it feels almost as if my chain is skipping and makes a loud snapping noise every so often when im climbing or putting a decent amount of pressure. it happens when im in my middle ring(i dont use my granny or large so i wouldnt know if itll happen on them) and itll usually happen when im in 3rd or 4th gear. i checked all the teeth and they seem to be ok. nothing worn down or broken. anyone have any clue what may be causing this?

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
ive never taken any spills on the cassette. what adjustment do you think i may need. im still kind of a novice to bike repair.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
did you ever have the cables checked for stretching?
if not then it might be overshooting the gear just a bit there should be a tensioner on the derailer just like on the brakes try and take a few turns on that to see if it don't help.
word of caution on this make sure you remember how many turns you took so you can put it back if it doesn't help.
or just take a ride to one of the LBS's that are mentioned here all the time and have them check it.

lou_b_83

if not then it might be overshooting the gear just a bit there should be a tensioner on the derailer just like on the brakes try and take a few turns on that to see if it don't help.
word of caution on this make sure you remember how many turns you took so you can put it back if it doesn't help.
or just take a ride to one of the LBS's that are mentioned here all the time and have them check it.

What he said:D

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog

thanks mike, ill give that a shot.

walter

Fourth Party
yeah dude, one of the first things the shop should have told you was to bring it back for an initial repair. Cable stretch, brake adjustment, all that stuff should be looked at.

BiknBen

While the barrel adjusters are for changing the alignment of the derailleurs, it is not a task for a beginner or someone not familiar with the bike. It is much more likely that they will make it worse and then have to make an immediate trip to the shop to have it corrected.

MIG, I suggest you take your bike to a shop and ask if you can watch the wrench make adjustments to the bike. This way you will get it fixed and learn a bit about how it works at the same time. If you insist on doing this yourself, Park Tools has an awesome web site. http://www.parktool.com/repair/

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
thanks for all the advice guys. my next question is... will a shop cost me an arm and a leg to have a look at it and fix it?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks for all the advice guys. my next question is... will a shop cost me an arm and a leg to have a look at it and fix it?

Just go to Halter's he'll hook you up.

Actually where are you located?

Edit: Ok looked at your profile. Ask Frank who he trusts down your way.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
personally I like brick bikes Jason has done right by me in the past also Briellie Bikes is good just busy as a one armed paper hanger..
or EMS on 35 by toysrus is good to and is right down the street from were you work.
BTW if you are up I am hitting Allaire around 7:00 Sunday morning if you are interested it will be a moderate pace as I think I broke my little toe last Thursday night ...:)

Mike C...

Last edited:

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
Just go to Halter's he'll hook you up.

Actually where are you located?

Edit: Ok looked at your profile. Ask Frank who he trusts down your way.

i WISH halters was closer to me. i just dont want to get killed in fees. i dont have very much money to do so.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That big ride at Six Mile you did with Walter - I believe Jason from Brick Bikes was on that ride. Sounds like a great opening line.

walter

Fourth Party
That big ride at Six Mile you did with Walter - I believe Jason from Brick Bikes was on that ride. Sounds like a great opening line.

Scott, not quite sure where you bought your bike but if Halters is to far out of the way, then I would Definitely suggest Jay at Brick Bikes. He was with us at the 6 mile ride a few weeks ago. I am sure that Frank, Brian and Mike as well as a host of others will give this guy props.When I lived in Brick for a short time he helped me out a bunch. If he's in your area give him a call.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I agree with Walter about Jay. Good people and a good shop. I go to Bikehaven in Fair Haven because they are right by Hartshorne/Huber, and they are also a good shop. do the lube thing, and check for a stiff link. If it is a link it can sometimes be loosened by gentle side to side twisting. Good luck either way.

don

I agree with Walter about Jay. Good people and a good shop. I go to Bikehaven in Fair Haven because they are right by Hartshorne/Huber, and they are also a good shop. do the lube thing, and check for a stiff link. If it is a link it can sometimes be loosened by gentle side to side twisting. Good luck either way.

Garrett at BikeHaven is a very good wrench (as well as a great guy rider). He should be able to diagnose the issue for you and you won't be driving wicked far.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
well i took the bike into the garage and had a good look at it. i lubed tyhe chain up real good and took it out for a spin. it seems to be a LOT smoother HOWEVER was still making that clang noise every so often. i took a closer look and a couple of the teeth on my center ring are really warn down. im assuming this comes with not knowing the bike early in the season and its just now finally getting to the point where its pretty shot. now the bike isnt unridable, just makes that clang every so often. would replacing it cost me an arm and a leg?

Top Bottom